Apple TV Question

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Already have Roku but am looking to get Apple TV so I can mirror my phone/mac easier to the screen.

Don't feel the need to drop $200 or so, wanted to ask:

1) If buying off ebay, what generation should I go by (no older than 3rd)?

2) What about connection, do they come as only Wifi/Bluetooth/HDMI or can you get all three options?
-Will any device allow me to connect by HDMI/Bluetooth/Wi FI or do you have to pick one?

3) How many GBs do I need?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_11-34-26.png
    upload_2018-1-3_11-34-26.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 1

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Do my best to answer:

1. I wouldn't go back too far with the generation, they're cheap enough for new 4th gen ones that the cost offset on it wouldn't be worth it. The 4th generation ones run smoother and you can side load your own stuff like Kodi if you wanted to put in the time and effort, the newest ones have 4k ability.

2. Not really sure what you mean by choosing one of the three. They all have all Wifi, Bluetooth and HDMI capabilities. For a small box it's really seamless with anything you're trying to do.

3. Absolutely go with the smaller GB versions to save money. I didn't and figured it would be worth the extra money, it's not. I don't even know what the point of a 32GB one is, most apps are iPhone size. I have basically every app I could want and maybe used 8GB total, and thats being generous it's probably more like 5. I figured you'd be able to download and store movies and stuff on it, you can't. Not even your iTunes owned movies - it's all streaming. So unless you plan to sit and download every single app they've ever released, the larger memory is useless.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Thanks, and so it really is an upgrade over Roku, especially if you have an iphone?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I use mine with friends all the time, they hop on my guest network and airplay/mirror to my apple tv on the big screen. It's worth noting you don't need an apple tv for that functionality though, android tv apps can do it too.

Apple tv is nice for its easy to use and simple interface. Mine has never crashed, never had bugs and is well supported. I dislike my android tv, fire tv and roku alternatives when I've had them or still do. The siri navigation is also pretty cool since it hubs all of the apps into one 'play from' location.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Already have Roku but am looking to get Apple TV so I can mirror my phone/mac easier to the screen.

Don't feel the need to drop $200 or so, wanted to ask:

1) If buying off ebay, what generation should I go by (no older than 3rd)?

2) What about connection, do they come as only Wifi/Bluetooth/HDMI or can you get all three options?
-Will any device allow me to connect by HDMI/Bluetooth/Wi FI or do you have to pick one?

3) How many GBs do I need?

I moved from Roku to This and while the game and app selections suck on the Apple TV, it’s well worth the price especially for the screen mirroring from my iPhone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->