Apathy/Waning Interest

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
OP, I know you're a Yankees fan but what you have written about the Islanders goes the same for the Mets. You have those years of promise with a young core 99-00, 06-07, 15-16 and then implosion for a few years.

It doesn't make sense because of the talent that has been collected and the way that the players perform when they bust onto the scene, but then you have to look at the upper level of management. Both team's high levels cannot keep themselves out of the spotlight for things that happen off the field: Wilpons with Madoff, their disconnect about Terry Collins with their GM, and overall spending (see Madoff) and then the Isles with the arena, Garth being Garth at the draft, etc.

Success always trickles down from the top. Like the Spurs for instance, I don't even know the owner/s name/s (Peter Holt apparently)! They have been the most successful team in any sport over the last 20 years and its because they set the standard that its all about winning and doing it as a team. No egos, no flair, just win. I'm sure the NY media circus plays into how much we hear about our beleaguered owners (Dolan, Woody Johnson, Wilpons) but still, its almost as if they can't get out of their own way.

All that being said, I will never stop rooting for my stupid, loser teams because that's what being a fan is all about.

Go JIMs

Good post, there is nothing more disheartening than being a Mets fan, the Mets should have had a dynasty in the 1980's but Davey Johnson was outmanaged a lot by Whitey Herzog and then Jim Leyland, that team was superloaded and it came down to tactics, and lost critical games to St Louis in 1985 and 1987 and then Orel year in 1988 before Pittsburgh had the killer B's...

Mets overhype their prospects more than any other MLB team, we expect a lot from players that never deliver. Too many David West, Billy Beane, Bobby Jones, Stanley Jefferson, Ryan Thompson, Alex Ochoa, Bill Pulsipher, Paul Wilson, Steven Matz, Rey Ordonez, Gregg Jeffries.. hype only to be letdown.

The current Mets team actually can right the ship but if they hire a hitting coach to be the manager and expect David Wright to be the 3rd baseman in 2018, then we are in familiar Mets hell.

Difference between the Mets and Islanders is that the Mets can draw free agents and don't have to deal with salary cap, the Mets are more frustrating than the Isles

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Good post, there is nothing more disheartening than being a Mets fan, the Mets should have had a dynasty in the 1980's but Davey Johnson was outmanaged a lot by Whitey Herzog and then Jim Leyland, that team was superloaded and it came down to tactics, and lost critical games to St Louis in 1985 and 1987 and then Orel year in 1988 before Pittsburgh had the killer B's...

Mets overhype their prospects more than any other MLB team, we expect a lot from players that never deliver. Too many David West, Billy Beane, Bobby Jones, Stanley Jefferson, Ryan Thompson, Alex Ochoa, Bill Pulsipher, Paul Wilson, Steven Matz, Rey Ordonez, Gregg Jeffries.. hype only to be letdown.

The current Mets team actually can right the ship but if they hire a hitting coach to be the manager and expect David Wright to be the 3rd baseman in 2018, then we are in familiar Mets hell.

Difference between the Mets and Islanders is that the Mets can draw free agents and don't have to deal with salary cap, the Mets are more frustrating than the Isles

THIS IS THE ISLANDERS. Their OWN hitting coach who they are high on because they developed a player's swing for 15 games in the playoffs and is now no longer on the team (Murphy) and counting on a big year from a player that has been in their organization for a long time that they feel they owe.

Read that with the Islanders in mind. While looking for a new coach, they immediately look in their own organization who has shown some success with the team in the past (Doug Weight anyone?) and consistently count on players who are in the organization to make big impacts year after year (Strome, Nelson, Pulock, the list goes on and on).

Yes, the Mets have less off-the-field/ice problems like the free agents, home building and fanbase but holy crap do these teams mirror each other. Not to mention the colors and the reason why the Isles are called the name that they are...I hate them both.

But I can't stay away :help:

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
THIS IS THE ISLANDERS. Their OWN hitting coach who they are high on because they developed a player's swing for 15 games in the playoffs and is now no longer on the team (Murphy) and counting on a big year from a player that has been in their organization for a long time that they feel they owe.

Read that with the Islanders in mind. While looking for a new coach, they immediately look in their own organization who has shown some success with the team in the past (Doug Weight anyone?) and consistently count on players who are in the organization to make big impacts year after year (Strome, Nelson, Pulock, the list goes on and on).

Yes, the Mets have less off-the-field/ice problems like the free agents, home building and fanbase but holy crap do these teams mirror each other. Not to mention the colors and the reason why the Isles are called the name that they are...I hate them both.

But I can't stay away :help:

It is similar, yet I root harder for the Mets and Isles than I do for the Giants who have gotten 4 Super Bowls and who rarely stink.

I guess hiring the hitting coach to the be manager is the same as the uninformed hockey owner drinking Harvey Wallbangers at a party with the backup goalie and making him the GM. And Wright treatment, look no further than Mr Dipietro to see that ugly parallel.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
I root for the Isles, but really root for all NY teams ---- and an exciting game -- aside from the Rangers. They can go suck it.

Has a truer thing ever been said?

Honestly, as I get older, I've lost some of the zeal I have for my favorite teams. It could also be we just have so much information at our fingertips, we're constantly in some state of sensory overload, where the highs aren't as high as they used to be.

But when specifically talking about the Isles, apathy setting in, is understandable. The buzz of the last season at the Nassau Coliseum was electric, and that seems like a recent high-water mark.

I can't make it out to the Barclays like I did at the NVMC, where I was a STH in 329, so that changes my personal dynamic with the team. I work on the Island, I haven't been able to make a weekday game on time once at the Barclays. That's a huge problem for anybody going to the games from LI, it's an institutionalized late crowd, and the BC is the worst hockey arena in the league. The atmosphere sucks, it's such a chore to go to the game now, and I'm just not going to attend often if it's a chore.

As for the roster, I actually think we're exciting and solid and have a strong chance to make the playoffs this season. The looming Belmont Arena situation has put a black cloud over the team though, I won't be surprised if Malkin/Ledecky move the team if we don't get it. Logically, JT should be traded if he's not going to re-sign, that's devastating as a fan, he's no doubt my favorite Islander of all-time. These factors have just sucked the life out of being an Islanders fan. The good news is if we win a few games in a row, perhaps make a trade, I'll remember it isn't all bad and I will forget the other bullshit and just enjoy the game.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I agree somewhat. It's very frustrating to see incompetent management every year. Maddening almost

Worse is the negativity on these boards. Not you, but the whiners about Snow, the owners, cup holders. Enjoy the game, give some constructive criticism and stop portraying yourselves as if you have nothing better to do in your life than complain about a team that owns the Rangers. Lol

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
To me staying power isn't about the team, it's about the sport. My interest in baseball completely waned after my favorite team (The Orioles) went downhill. It was fun to watch them in the early 90's and idolizing guys like Ripken and Mussina. However, as they started to become perennial losers I lost interest in the sport. Most of it had to do with the team, but there was a decent portion of it that just made me feel like baseball wasn't really that enjoyable to watch.

The reason I am still an Islander's fan is because I'm still a big fan of hockey. Sure the Islanders have sucked for a majority of my interest in the sport, but it doesn't stop me from reveling at the other great players in the league. I can find enjoyment from watching other team's players, not just the Islanders. That's why I still tune in to the playoffs, even when the Islanders aren't playing. I've always felt that hockey was not a sport but a lifestyle, and you either get it or you don't. The Islanders could move somewhere and it wouldn't stop me from watching. I probably wouldn't even pick a different team since I don't have any regional ties anymore. I would just root for them at their new location.

Anyway, that's just me. Islanders sucking won't make me disinterested in the NHL.

Reactions: bigtim1988

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I haven't been more optimistic as an Islander fan since 1994. This is a good team and it's a great time to be an Isles fan. I loved hearing the cheering crowd in MSG last night when the Isles scored.

Apathy? I don't see it. Waning interest? Not among the Isles fans I know.

After reading some of the stuff in here, I wonder if I'm watching the same team. There was 1 game where I was disappointed in the performance of the team, and that was game 1. The power play has been awful, and JT hasn't been JT, but make no mistake; this is a good team.

Ill go and read threads of other team boards, and I notice a re-occuring theme: they're all complaining about the same things we complain about. We're 7 games into the season, our record isn't horrible at 3-3-1, and yet some people make it seem like we're 1-6-0. I even thought our record was 2-4-1 before the start of the Ranger game on Thursday.

This Islander team is going to surprise a lot of people this year, including us.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->