AP News: "Minor leaguers begin planning for life after hockey"

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Minor leaguers begin planning for life after hockey

By STEPHEN WHYNO
February 5, 2021

(ECHL Allen Americans goaltender) Jake Paterson skated and trained in the morning and studied real estate in the afternoon. (Former ECHL/AHL defenseman) Steve Johnson got his commercial pilot’s license. (Former AHL winger) Ty Randell enjoyed firefighting so much he turned down a contract offer to play the sport he loves.

When the pandemic put sports on ice, many minor league hockey players started planning for what’s next. Several minor league teams are not playing at all this season, resulting in fewer jobs — and those that remained coming with less money. ...

Paterson took advantage of the Professional Hockey Players Association’s career enhancement program, which has been around for 20 years to help players learn another trade for when they hang up their skates. It has never been more popular than now, as 170 PHPA members have signed up since March. ...

“We’ve tried to do everything we can to create as many jobs as we can,” PHPA executive director Larry Landon said. “We’ve asked for compassion from the National Hockey League and their clubs and from the American Hockey League and their clubs because the guys at the bottom of the totem pole are the guys earning the least and need the jobs the most.” ...

Read more at: https://apnews.com/article/professi...demic-hockey-9dea6c1d7860ff8ccb7b0d39c8abdc52

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
“I would say there are definitely more veteran guys reaching out: guys that are maybe winding down and this pandemic is going to push it,” said Steve Carney, the career enhancement program coordinator. “The pandemic may make the decision for them. There’s a lot of young guys that take advantage, too. They’re proactive. They know they could be an injury away from having to do something else.”

There is about to be a talent vacuum in the lower minor leagues. Vets who find new jobs and settle outside of hockey aren't going to come back. This year, we are seeing the highest level of hockey ever in the ECHL talent wise. Next year will be the worst in recent memory because of lack of players who chose to come back. Obviously some will, but will it be enough to make sure there isn't a notable difference in the level of skill. I think this is something that is going to have a long term affect on all 4 levels of minor pro in the US.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I don't think it will even be a small bump in the road. Because of the roster max for veteran players in the ECHL, there's always turnover in the league, with many veteran players having to head to the lower leagues in Europe to keep playing. So any vets deciding to not come back to play will create openings for the former Euro-bound players to stay in North America.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the AHL Crossed this divide when they closed the loophole by not allowing players to join NA teams after their seasons had started, AS THE European seasons are staggered differently; something the ECHL hasn't really had to deal with as much..

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I don't think it will even be a small bump in the road. Because of the roster max for veteran players in the ECHL, there's always turnover in the league, with many veteran players having to head to the lower leagues in Europe to keep playing. So any vets deciding to not come back to play will create openings for the former Euro-bound players to stay in North America.

The minor leagues, since veteran limits have been imposed, have been a system where you're either moving up or moving on with your life. This hasn't changed, it's just forcing a lot of guys to make the decision now rather than a year or two from now.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The minor leagues, since veteran limits have been imposed, have been a system where you're either moving up or moving on with your life. This hasn't changed, it's just forcing a lot of guys to make the decision now rather than a year or two from now.
Maybe some of them can become full-time moderators on some popular hockey message board. :badidea:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
the AHL Crossed this divide when they closed the loophole by not allowing players to join NA teams after their seasons had started, AS THE European seasons are staggered differently; something the ECHL hasn't really had to deal with as much..
I know I'm going to regret asking, but can you post a link to a source that explains what you're talking about?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I know I'm going to regret asking, but can you post a link to a source that explains what you're talking about?
you know what I'm referencing, 210, your team might not have used that option before the League ended that option for its member clubs where you could sign players who had just completed the European season, when the AHL Season had begun...

Portland did it once adding a veteran D before the member clubs became more prospect development arms of the parent club, even if that was blurred as to whether it's a straight own/operated franchised affiliate rather than having a private ownership run the affiliate

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
you know what I'm referencing, 210, your team might not have used that option before the League ended that option for its member clubs where you could sign players who had just completed the European season, when the AHL Season had begun...

Portland did it once adding a veteran D before the member clubs became more prospect development arms of the parent club, even if that was blurred as to whether it's a straight own/operated franchised affiliate rather than having a private ownership run the affiliate
I have no idea what you're talking about...seriously. Do you have a link that might explain what you're talking about?

Reactions: Atlantian

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I have no idea what you're talking about...seriously. Do you have a link that might explain what you're talking about?
I believe he is referring to the deadline for signing players who started the season in Europe. I don't know about the AHL, but the ECHL typically publishes a date each year, after which you can't sign a player who began the season in Europe. It used to be around the time those seasons ended, so a player could play a season in Europe and then come back for the last month or so of the ECHL regular season plus playoffs. It has been moved earlier in recent years, so players have to leave their European team before the season is over in order to join the ECHL.

Apparently, from what I can gather, "Hutch" believes players who start the season in Europe cannot return to the AHL durign that same season. I can neither confirm nor deny if that is true.

I assume that he doesn't mean it is a lifetime ban - players can clearly return from Europe and play in the AHL again in a future season.

Has nothing to do with the current discussion, really.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I believe he is referring to the deadline for signing players who started the season in Europe. I don't know about the AHL, but the ECHL typically publishes a date each year, after which you can't sign a player who began the season in Europe. It used to be around the time those seasons ended, so a player could play a season in Europe and then come back for the last month or so of the ECHL regular season plus playoffs. It has been moved earlier in recent years, so players have to leave their European team before the season is over in order to join the ECHL.

Apparently, from what I can gather, "Hutch" believes players who start the season in Europe cannot return to the AHL durign that same season. I can neither confirm nor deny if that is true.

I assume that he doesn't mean it is a lifetime ban - players can clearly return from Europe and play in the AHL again in a future season.

the AHL REMOVED that option or loophole years ago, royals.... you cannot once you leave North America, you cannot return to the same league in a future year, that's why once those players leave.... they're gone permanently.... whether they leave in season or not.... once a player chooses Europe, those rights are terminated, and that applies to the ECHL AS WELL

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

I know about the ECHL deadline (it was oddly January 2 this season when it's usually mid-February), and players can absolutely sign with AHL clubs after playing in Europe in that same season. If those players aren't on an NHL reserve list they have to pass through AHL waivers and any AHL team can claim them, which is exactly how the NHL rule works for European free-agents coming over in the same season they played overseas.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I know about the ECHL deadline (it was oddly January 2 this season when it's usually mid-February), and players can absolutely sign with AHL clubs after playing in Europe in that same season. If those players aren't on an NHL reserve list they have to pass through AHL waivers and any AHL team can claim them, which is exactly how the NHL rule works for European free-agents coming over in the same season they played overseas.
this is way before Worcester had an AHL Team, 210....

Flyers did that with a veteran D man in Hoffmeyer when they were here in the late 70s to early 80s prior to the sale to the Devils in 82/83.

the League threw/closed out the loophole following that season where once the AHL Season starts, no European transfers were allowed to sign anywhere, waiver claim or not

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So how did Claude Lemieux play for the Worcester Sharks after starting the 2008-09 season overseas?
because he wasn't under NHL Contract.... SJ had to allow the affiliates to do that..... otherwise it's illegal for affiliated teams as the AHL Decrees them and each PDC, the affiliate lost more and more control over who they could sign....

that's likely why the AHL is no longer in Worcester, Manchester, or Portland..... that's the internal politics of an affiliated club....

Either the parent club or the League could've vetoed that if they had chosen to do so.....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
What you're saying makes no sense, and is, of course, wrong. This is ten minutes of research:

*Willie Coetzee who went from Graz EC in Austria to the Reading Royals, and then signed a PTO in Worcester and had to pass through AHL waivers before he could play (as reported by Bill Ballou in the T&G on 12/20/14)
*P.J. Fenton went from DEG Metro Stars of the DEL to the Rochester Americans in 2010-11.
*Benn Ferriero went from Salzburg EC in Austria to the Providence Bruins in 2015-16.
*In 2016-17 Tim Kennedy attempted to go from Lulea HF in Sweden to the Rochester Americans but was claimed on AHL waivers by the Charlotte Checkers. They then reached an agreement with Amerks to loan him to Rochester.

And I stopped searching Worcester players at that point because that pretty much proves my point...

Reactions: royals119

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What you're saying makes no sense, and is, of course, wrong. This is ten minutes of research:

*Willie Coetzee who went from Graz EC in Austria to the Reading Royals, and then signed a PTO in Worcester and had to pass through AHL waivers before he could play (as reported by Bill Ballou in the T&G on 12/20/14)
*P.J. Fenton went from DEG Metro Stars of the DEL to the Rochester Americans in 2010-11.
*Benn Ferriero went from Salzburg EC in Austria to the Providence Bruins in 2015-16.
*In 2016-17 Tim Kennedy attempted to go from Lulea HF in Sweden to the Rochester Americans but was claimed on AHL waivers by the Charlotte Checkers. They then reached an agreement with Amerks to loan him to Rochester.

And I stopped searching Worcester players at that point because that pretty much proves my point...
before Worcester had a team, 210, it was abused to such a degree that the AHL threw the rule out entirely.

or have you convienently forgotten what was the whole point of the BOG Meetings post-season, regardless of what league it was

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00