Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin 4 pts tonight thus far.

That's 8 pts in 2 games.

Forsberg diving in a preseason game? :biglaugh:

Yeah, well, Philadelphia must have sent out its C-team... because we all know Ovechkin has done nothing to warrant media attention!

On a serious note, I agree that the bias towards Crosby is sickening at the moment. Looking at the main page, there's nothing on Ovechkin's 4 point performance, but there's an article of the Penguins being convinced Crosby's time has come.

And no, it's not Crosby's fault that the Canadian media doesn't have a clue of how to fuel some rivalry between the last two #1 picks.

Bear in mind, that I'm not advocating that Preseason is any serious gauge of how a player will be, and find it pretty meaningless... but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Yeah, well, Philadelphia must have sent out its C-team... because we all know Ovechkin has done nothing to warrant media attention!

On a serious note, I agree that the bias towards Crosby is sickening at the moment. Looking at the main page, there's nothing on Ovechkin's 4 point performance, but there's an article of the Penguins being convinced Crosby's time has come.

And no, it's not Crosby's fault that the Canadian media doesn't have a clue of how to fuel some rivalry between the last two #1 picks.

Bear in mind, that I'm not advocating that Preseason is any serious gauge of how a player will be, and find it pretty meaningless... but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Even as a Pens fan its getting to the point of being very annoying. Its already created some anti-Crosby backlash and the kids done nothing to deserve it. As for AO, I have to agree that his not being hyped at all is pretty sickening but his being painted the villain of the WJC was even worse.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
King'sPawn said:

When I seen Ovehckin is Syndey at the WJC in 2003 there was something very special about the kid. I remember thinking that this kid hits like Peca, skates like Bure and scores like Bossy. It was amazing how fast a release he had. Ovehckin is going to be something scary. I have stayed out of the Crosby/Ovechkin debate for years on this site...I like Crosby and Ovechkin but Ovechkin is simple going to be the more complete player by the time the two fully develop. Fedorov seems like a fair comparison but Ovehckin has a physical game that Fedorov couldn't even match.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mothra said:
I totally agree that any number of the high profile rookies (or possibly someone else) could end up being the best player when its all said and done.....and you cant blame Crosby for the hype.....but IMO your little comment at the end is a little out of line......using that reasoning, all the "Malkin closing the gap" threads we've both been part of over the last year or so smack of Ovechkin-envy

If there is ever a Malkin did this or that . . . chirp, chirp thread . . . then fine, I will agree with you. But I have yet to see one. I have no problem with people saying that their prospect is wonderful . . . Hell, if you read this board then every Hab prospect in the world are going to be Gretz/Mario combined. That is what HF is about, and it is fine. Those however differ from the whining put upon poor AO not getting the recognition he deserves chirp chirp threads like this one that in my opinion earned my reaction.

However, since you brought it up, it does seem that Malkin has passed AO in the minds of some:

Evgeni Malkin, F, Pittsburgh (18): Unfortunately, Malkin will be spending this year in Russia. While this does you no good in fantasy leagues this year, it buys you more time to go out and get him in keeper leagues before your fellow league mates find out just how good this guy has become. The second pick in the 2004 draft, according to some reports, has passed Alexander Ovechkin in terms of his development and he's going to be a fantasy stud for years to come. He's not going to be good -- he's going to be great

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Nichols/2005/09/28/1239173-ca.html

Oh yeah . . . chirp, chirp . . . ;)

Last edited:

Brad*

The Flyers just won in OT 7-6. Ovechkin was the best player on the ice for the Caps by far, this kid is good. Every time he was on the ice he made an impact.

Though Niittymaki stoned him, and his teammates, in the shootout.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
If there is ever a Malkin did this or that . . . chirp, chirp thread . . . then fine, I will agree with you. But I have yet to see one. I have no problem with people saying that their prospect is wonderful . . . Hell, if you read this board then every Hab prospect in the world are going to be Gretz/Mario combined. That is what HF is about, and it is fine. Those however differ from the whining put upon poor AO not getting the recognition he deserves chirp chirp threads like this one that in my opinion earned my reaction.

However, since you brought it up, it does seem that Malkin has passed AO in the minds of some:

Evgeni Malkin, F, Pittsburgh (18): Unfortunately, Malkin will be spending this year in Russia. While this does you no good in fantasy leagues this year, it buys you more time to go out and get him in keeper leagues before your fellow league mates find out just how good this guy has become. The second pick in the 2004 draft, according to some reports, has passed Alexander Ovechkin in terms of his development and he's going to be a fantasy stud for years to come. He's not going to be good -- he's going to be great

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Nichols/2005/09/28/1239173-ca.html

Oh yeah . . . chirp, chirp . . . ;)

I love Malkin, but Ovechkin was clearly the better player at the World Championships not long ago. 5 goals to Malkin's 0. 8 pts to 4. 2 GWG.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
the_gman83 said:
What I meant was, given the fact that the Penguins were missing their top 6 forwards, top 3 defensemen, and their starting goalie, from a team that's not exactly a powerhouse(at least defensively), I would've expected Ovechkin to stand out. I mean, it's obvious he's talented, and he played an amazing game, but I'll be truly impressed if he performs like this against NHL competition.

But no doubt he was the best player out there last night. I'm looking forward to see what he can do this season.

Then again, you do realize Washinton is practically a lock for the "Winning Phil Kessel" sweepstates, because other than maybe 3 guys, they're this years "Practically a minor league team" ?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
octopi said:
Then again, you do realize Washinton is practically a lock for the "Winning Phil Kessel" sweepstates, because other than maybe 3 guys, they're this years "Practically a minor league team" ?

thats just ridiculous....3 players? Not counting the young players that are ready for the NHL (Sutherby, Eminger, Morrisonn, Gordon, Ouellet) there are at least 9 good NHL players.....They wont be a good team.....but I just dont get statements like this.....3 guys?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Why does it seem like all the reports that say Malkin is better than Ovechkin are based on hearsay and rumor, like "some say" or "according to some reports," but none actually have a real hockey person saying flat out that Malkin is better?

I find that interesting.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Mothra said:
thats just ridiculous....3 players? Not counting the young players that are ready for the NHL (Sutherby, Eminger, Morrisonn, Gordon, Ouellet) there are at least 9 good NHL players.....They wont be a good team.....but I just dont get statements like this.....3 guys?
Even though he's just a rookie, Green has looked awsome too. Kind of like an up and coming Cote.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Mothra said:

Thats why I said "maybe"

Lets just stick with my origional statement, which was they'll probably be in contention for the "Phil Kessel Award"

But seeing as how I kind of like them, Prove me wrong, Caps!

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
octopi said:
Thats why I said "maybe"

Lets just stick with my origional statement, which was they'll probably be in contention for the "Phil Kessel Award"

But seeing as how I kind of like them, Prove me wrong, Caps!

well maybe it came out wrong then......because to me "maybe 3 guys" sounds like 3 at the most......which is a far cry from 9 (and again....not counting the 5 or 6 other young guys that are ready....or guys like Bradley/Sykora)

I'm just a little tired of stuff like that...someone recently said that their 3rd/4th lines are filled with ECHLers.....which is just stupid

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Til the End of Time said:
Why does it seem like all the reports that say Malkin is better than Ovechkin are based on hearsay and rumor, like "some say" or "according to some reports," but none actually have a real hockey person saying flat out that Malkin is better?

I find that interesting.

whats funny is.....this article is about fantasy hockey, and how you should draft him in your keeper league

AgentNaslund*

RallyKiller said:
If ovechkin was north american he wouldn't be ignored like this.

Disagree, everyone here in Canada knew Ovechkin is gonna be a great player.

and Its not like you guys give a crap about Sidney Crosby in Russina. Why Complain?

Randall Graves*

EagleBelfour said:
Does Sidney Crosby is better than Alexander Ovechkin? Don't want to argue because I havn't see them plays a lot but I think IMO that the rating of these two players on Hockey Future are pretty accurate:

Sidney Crosby 10C
Alexander Ovechkin 9A

Sidney have more upside but Alexander is a clear all-star player, even at his young age. Who would you take? Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin? It all depend if you like to take some chances .... ;)
marketing aside, right now I'd probably take Ovechkin, I think he will be a more complete player.

Randall Graves*

Sammy said:
:nopity: :nopity: :nopity:
Its really getting old.
Quit your whining.
I don't dislike Crosby but it's true, the NHL is banking on him and the canadian media knows this is a golden opportunity.

There is a bias, don't you try to deny it. I don't care that much because it is necessary for Crosby to be a superstar...however that does not mean AO is not better right now, and he could be the better player down the road.

Randall Graves*

King'sPawn said:

I agree, it would be so much better if the media tried to start a rivalry between the two, this is something the NHL has desperately lacked and what the NBA and NFL are so good at!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Ovetchkin will never be marketable because he is hideously ugly. It's nobody's fault, but certainly an unfortunate turn of events

AgentNaslund*

RallyKiller said:
I don't dislike Crosby but it's true, the NHL is banking on him and the canadian media knows this is a golden opportunity.

There is a bias, don't you try to deny it. I don't care that much because it is necessary for Crosby to be a superstar...however that does not mean AO is not better right now, and he could be the better player down the road.

any pro scouts reading the stuff your writing will be laughing at you. Crosby is one of the best player to come out of Junior in the past decade or 2. Any scout will tell you this. Not some dude that works for the canadian media. Its not bias. We could have said something about it, when Jason Spezza got drafted. And its not like Ovechkin was not given credit. He played in Russia. He can get all the media hype there for all we care.

Randall Graves*

AgentNaslund said:
any pro scouts reading the stuff your writing will be laughing at you. Crosby is one of the best player to come out of Junior in the past decade or 2. Any scout will tell you this. Not some dude that works for the canadian media. Its not bias. We could have said something about it, when Jason Spezza got drafted. And its not like Ovechkin was not given credit. He played in Russia. He can get all the media hype there for all we care.
I don't care what "pro scouts" would do, they have been wrong many times over the years and I have formed an opinion on what i've seen, you cannot tell me there is NOT a media slant from the canadian side.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
AgentNaslund said:

IMO, this sort of mentality is why the NHL is a 2nd class sport. It's too inclusive.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
RallyKiller said:
What, at this stage makes Crosby better, canadian bias aside?

you can't really take in account that I have a canadian bias. I'm one of the very rare out there that actually hates Canada. I do not consider myself canadian and I never cheer for team Canada.

I have seen Crosby and he has the most unbeleivable skill set there is. Many people just haven't seen it yet. Once they will, they're going to understand.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
franchise player said:
you can't really take in account that I have a canadian bias. I'm one of the very rare out there that actually hates Canada. I do not consider myself canadian and I never cheer for team Canada.

Well not knowing were your from, and i'll make an assumption Quebec, because that seems like logical conclusion, you could very easily have a Quebec based biased which in turn, is really no better.

Note: this is just based on assumption and playing devils advocate.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
franchise player said:

I have seen Crosby and he has the most unbeleivable skill set there is. Many people just haven't seen it yet. Once they will, they're going to understand.

I have no reason to doubt you....just think its funny that after all that your avatar has a guy in a team canada uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad