Anze Kopitar

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Reports are in from Day 1 of the tournament between the: Kings / Ducks / Coyotes and Sharks prospects.

Several NON-KING fans said that Kopitar was head and shoulders the best player out there...

various posts from game attendees:

"Overall a very enjoyable experience (except for the incredibly obnoxious Kings fan in his duck hunting jacket and his hanging toy duck). Sorry to say it but far and away the best player on the ice was Anze Kopitar. If that kid isn't in the NHL this year I'll eat my shoe. It's a good thing his linemates couldn't keep up with him otherwise they would have spanked us."
I would say that the only one that plays at that NHL level is Kopitar. He is dominant. He is so composed with the puck, and can go just about anywhere with it. His passing is amazing, his skating is actually very good. He can change direction on a dime, and his shooting accuaracy is top notch.
I sat with a scout from the Nashville Predators, and he was talking very highly of Kopitar, Tukonen, and Pushkarev. He said Kopitar, and O'Sullivan will be stars at the NHL level. He also was very high on Pushkarev, with an emerging skill set like a Datsyuk or Nagy. He also said that he had Kopitar pegged as the #2 pick behind Crosby.
just got back from the game and was very impressed by Mr. Kopitar . Tremendous poise, skates like the wind, can stop turn and cut incredibly well , good shot and decent vision . Looks like the Kings have a keeper .
Also Crawford was there, saw him down near the dressing rooms during the game.
And I didn't think Bobby Ryan looked all that special ?
Also in case anyone wanted to know the Coyotes beat the Sharks in the 1st game, though I thought the Sharks looked like the better team most of the game.
Kopitar ... everything you knew he'd be, dominate on the ice when he wanted to be, simply the best player on the ice tonight.

It looks like Malkin may not be a shoe in for rookie of the year.

Last edited:

FuTMaR*

getty images peter. its where major magazines and websites get there pictures without sending someone there

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Was on a date, showed up late and left early. Kopitar was by far the best player out there.

The hitting was great, not as common as I thought, but when it happened it was devastating. Noticed Moulson a lot out there and Lukacevic and his speed. Korchinski threw a monster hit.
Kopitar looked vastly improved from prospect camp - he displayed great vision and instincts on the ice. Can't wait to see this kid play in the NHL.
Kopitar's skating looks better than the first time I saw him.
He seems to be able to make the same moves but at a higher speed now.
I just came from the game also. I was impressed by his skating ability. and puck handelling. He looks like he is ready to play now. This team needs him now. I think he will be given every opportunity to make the team and he may be the offensive force we have been waiting for.
********************************************************************************************
I agree. Kopitar was the best player today for all four teams. It was a physical game and Kopitar wasn't affected one bit. I think he's ready for the BIG show.
****************************************************************************************

Last edited:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Here's a great article about new King teammate Scott Thornton playing with Kopitar in Eupope during the lockout year. Kopitar was 17 at the time...

link:
http://www.lakings.com/2,4882.ftm

Thornton, a left wing, recalled the first time he met/played with Kopitar.

>>>>“He is very talented," Thornton said. "I was amazed at how talented the kid is. He’s big, strong and very gifted with the puck. He’s smooth and has great vision on the ice. I think he was head and shoulders above a lot of the other teammates and, even at a young age, you could see that he was going to be something special.” <<<<<

>>>>Rob Laird, the Kings’ director of pro scouting, has seen Kopitar in action quite a bit. He too has been impressed.
“I have observed Kopitar at the World Championships the last two years where he has represented his home nation of Slovenia,” said Laird, who also witnessed his play at the 2005 “Pacific Division Shootout” rookie tournament in San Jose and at the last two Kings development camps.
“At these events he has been his team's most dominant player, centering the top line and playing in all situations. Some of the best hockey players in the world compete in this event and Anze has more then held his own against elite competition.” <<<<<<<<

>>>Kyle Calder, the Blackhawk winger who played on the line overseas with Kopitar and Thornton in 2004-05, also saw Kopitar at this year’s World Championship tournament.
“He stood out like a sore thumb because he was so dominant,” said the veteran of six NHL seasons.
Calder likes both Kopitar’s overall skills package and his size. At 5-11 and 180 pounds, he said he felt dwarfed on that line by the larger Kopitar and Thornton.
“Anze is a big kid," Calder said. "He has unbelievable skill and he is tough to move in front of the net. The longer he plays here the stronger he will get. He can shoot the puck, finish and he is a great playmaker. <<<

Last edited:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I allready told you all that after the World Championships and you didnt belive me ;)

I suggested that if the 2005 draft were redone, Kopitar would go 2nd overall. I was mocked and almost banned from this board.

It wasn't me who called Anze "a more talented Joe Thornton". It was a pro scout. I can't recall who it was, but he was probably banned.

jurtur

Sep 6, 2005
Slovenia
Yeah he should go second and i still cant belive how so many teams passed on him (probably nationality) , but now i am glad he ended up at the Kings , you guys are great and loyal fans and LA is a great city .
Do you know any hockey news site that tracks Kings and their players ?

jurtur

Sep 6, 2005
Slovenia
I already know that one , but thanks anyway .
By the way you guys probably dindt know that after prospects training camp a few weeks ago , Anze returned to Slovenia and joined with our top hockey club Jesenice (head coach is Anze¨s dad) to continue working on his game . He was training hard and even played a few friendly games for Jesenice , dont rember how many points he got but know he was centering the first line .

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Anze doesn't go second overall... he's talented, but not 2nd overall. Jack Johnson, and Brule are still better than him.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Did Jack Johnson and Brule play at this years WCs and scored nine points in six games :sarcasm:

Because points determine everything about a player :sarcasm:

I would agree, as good as Kopitar is, I would still take Jack Johnson or Gilbert Brule over him.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Because points determine everything about a player :sarcasm:

I would agree, as good as Kopitar is, I would still take Jack Johnson or Gilbert Brule over him.

No it doesn't. But being top ten in scoring(with the least amount of games played of player in the top ten) with not nearly as much talent around him as the other guys is pretty impressive thing to do as an 19 year old.

He also matched Malkin's production in one less game, but he doesn't get near the hype.

Last edited:

Leb_Hitch*

I was always big on this guy, I'm still pissed that Ottawa didn't take him when they had the chance :madfire:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No it doesn't. But being top ten in scoring(with the least amount of games played of player in the top ten) with not nearly as much talent around him as the other guys is pretty impressive thing to do as an 19 year old.

He also matched Malkin's production in one less game, but he doesn't get near the hype.

Anze just turned 19 three weeks ago on Aug 24th, so he was still 18 at the tournament.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Here's a great article about new King teammate Scott Thornton playing with Kopitar in Eupope during the lockout year. Kopitar was 17 at the time...

link:
http://www.lakings.com/2,4882.ftm

Thornton, a left wing, recalled the first time he met/played with Kopitar.

>>>>“He is very talented," Thornton said. "I was amazed at how talented the kid is. He’s big, strong and very gifted with the puck. He’s smooth and has great vision on the ice. I think he was head and shoulders above a lot of the other teammates and, even at a young age, you could see that he was going to be something special.” <<<<<

>>>>Rob Laird, the Kings’ director of pro scouting, has seen Kopitar in action quite a bit. He too has been impressed.
“I have observed Kopitar at the World Championships the last two years where he has represented his home nation of Slovenia,” said Laird, who also witnessed his play at the 2005 “Pacific Division Shootout” rookie tournament in San Jose and at the last two Kings development camps.
“At these events he has been his team's most dominant player, centering the top line and playing in all situations. Some of the best hockey players in the world compete in this event and Anze has more then held his own against elite competition.” <<<<<<<<

>>>Kyle Calder, the Blackhawk winger who played on the line overseas with Kopitar and Thornton in 2004-05, also saw Kopitar at this year’s World Championship tournament.
“He stood out like a sore thumb because he was so dominant,” said the veteran of six NHL seasons.
Calder likes both Kopitar’s overall skills package and his size. At 5-11 and 180 pounds, he said he felt dwarfed on that line by the larger Kopitar and Thornton.
“Anze is a big kid," Calder said. "He has unbelievable skill and he is tough to move in front of the net. The longer he plays here the stronger he will get. He can shoot the puck, finish and he is a great playmaker. <<<
Anze Kopitar did not play on the same line as Calder & Thornton, that´s just bs. He had a few shifts on the 4th line, nothing more. I watched every home game so I guess I would know...

That whole article makes you wonder if the writer made it all up, quotes and such. Anze is still a great prospect though who will have a fine career in the NHL.

jurtur

Sep 6, 2005
Slovenia
Anze Kopitar did not play on the same line as Calder & Thornton, that´s just bs. He had a few shifts on the 4th line, nothing more. I watched every home game so I guess I would know...

That whole article makes you wonder if the writer made it all up, quotes and such. Anze is still a great prospect though who will have a fine career in the NHL.

You dont have to play on the same line to see if your teammate is a great player and person .

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Did Jack Johnson and Brule play at this years WCs and scored nine points in six games :sarcasm:

Offensively, Kopitar is the 2nd best player out of this draft, i see about 110 point ceiling out of him. But Brule, and Johnson provide a much more versitile, and complete game, alto id put Brule's peak at 95-100 he does alot more on the ice... And Johnson is just an outstanding well rounded defenseman who could get 50+ points consistantly during his career.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I imagine some scouts are kicking themselves for holding the fact that Anze Kopitar played his early hockey in Slovenia now.
Never got the idea at the time, as he did play a full season in Sweden in a fairly heavily scouted league where they had ample oppurtunity to guage his skillset against fairly high competition.

jurtur,
Are you Slovenian? also if Anze makes the NHL do you think it will be big news in your country?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad