Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
i kinda of disagree. as patton wrote up, if i remember correctly he was all of the tanks taking the lead and have the Air Force bomb the crap behind the russian front line, something like, and i am guessing here, like 25 miles or so, esp in night time bombing. he thought the strength of the british and US bombers were unequal compared to no russian bombers.

The Russians had a staggering advantage in manpower and in tank numbers by 1945 beyond anything comprehensible, and the Soviet air force was humongous. American tank doctrine at the time was to overwhelm superior German tanks in shear numbers, but the Russians had both a numeric and technological advantage on that front. Even if you gave the edge to the Western allies in fighter superiority to give our bombers free reign, which was far from a certainty and actually probably would've been the opposite, that wouldn't have been able to make up the difference on the ground and the fact that the Soviet centers of production were well outside our striking distance. Even with the nuke advantage, we didn't have nearly enough to prosecute a winnable war.

Anglo-American planners that studied this potential conflict to a T essentially figured that any resultant war would likely result in the Americans and British being driven from the continent and all of Europe falling under the Soviet sphere of influence.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Russians had a staggering advantage in manpower and in tank numbers by 1945 beyond anything comprehensible, and the Soviet air force was humongous. American tank doctrine at the time was to overwhelm superior German tanks in shear numbers, but the Russians had both a numeric and technological advantage on that front. Even if you gave the edge to the Western allies in fighter superiority to give our bombers free reign, which was far from a certainty and actually probably would've been the opposite, that wouldn't have been able to make up the difference on the ground and the fact that the Soviet centers of production were well outside our striking distance. Even with the nuke advantage, we didn't have nearly enough to prosecute a winnable war.

Anglo-American planners that studied this potential conflict to a T essentially figured that any resultant war would likely result in the Americans and British being driven from the continent and all of Europe falling under the Soviet sphere of influence.
ok, while i have my own opinion, there is nothing out there to prove this point. i will end this whole part by saying i really enjoyed this day conversation. it was above excellent ...... many thanks to all. !!!!

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not close. Private Ryan had a great first half hour but after was only okay.
The beginning, storming the beach, was one of the all time action sequences, no question.

But I really enjoyed the rest of the movie as well. Granted, except for the very end, the action never came close to that. But I thought it did a really good job of showing what the men had to deal with in war and the toll it takes on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Liner and LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The beginning, storming the beach, wash one of the all time action sequences, no question.

But I really enjoyed the rest of the movie as well. Granted, except for the very end, the action never came close to that. But I thought it did a really good job of showing what the men had to deal with in war and the toll it takes on them.
that scene actually made me tear up. i was watching that whole part and knowing that my father was on the 2nd wave on Omaha beach. what he must have gone thru..... that was a tough beginning of any movie ever.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Get outside and watch the meteor shower folks....

Crystal clear in Dallas... I saw two myself.

Helps that it's 57 degrees out :D

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Starz has been showing Hellraiser sequels lately and tonight they are showing Hellworld and Deader

Deader sucked but I always enjoyed Hellworld and Hellseeker as quality sequels and never understood hate for them

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Net Neutrality to be repealed in about 4 hours. Such a ridiculous joke I could go on for hours ranting about the shady stuff Pai and FCC have done to get to this point.

I mean we knew it was going to happen. Let's just hope it takes forever and a new administration can correct it.

Granted, I'm on a very small ISP currently but I can certainly seeing Comcast, Time Warner, and ATT customers getting screwed.

Is there much that we can even do?

The idea of giving control to the ISPs is so flawed it's crazy.

The next step is they take it to Congress, which it has been twice, and NN won twice.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's so f***ing stupid.

Only thing we can do is to call/write our representatives in government constantly to complain. Giving the ISPs free-reign to control everything and anything they want on the web is just asking for problems. And is going to set this country back yet again.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
It's so ****ing stupid.

Only thing we can do is to call/write our representatives in government constantly to complain. Giving the ISPs free-reign to control everything and anything they want on the web is just asking for problems. And is going to set this country back yet again.

I keep reading a lot of "doomsday", "death of information" posts about this decision. Kinda sounds irrational.

I'm going to let the situation unfold and vote these assholes out of their seats in 2018. I'm conservative too.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I keep reading a lot of "doomsday", "death of information" posts about this decision. Kinda sounds irrational.

I'm going to let the situation unfold and vote these *******s out of their seats in 2018. I'm conservative too.

It's not irrational. It gives the big ISPs free reign to control all things internet. What you can see. What sites you can visit. The ability to throttle your bandwidth without explanation. And so much more.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
It's not irrational. It gives the big ISPs free reign to control all things internet. What you can see. What sites you can visit. The ability to throttle your bandwidth without explanation. And so much more.

Trust me, I'm pro NN.

Can't really do anything but vote the people out of office who did this.

I don't like Pai. I think he is a fraud.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, there are certain sites that I'm avoiding like the plague for the time being to avoid spoilers, particularly other forums. Just takes one troll to ruin what should be a good time.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Not only is December awesome because it seems to have become the month of Star Wars premiers, but also the outdoor hockey rink just got set up in my town :vhappy:this truly is the most wonderful time of the year!

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about the new SW.. ehhh :huh:..strange movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad