Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Originally Posted by ChiHawks10 View Post
I was just generalizing, but yes, you're right. I know someone who paid almost $5k for theirs. They had two photographers in attendance, as well as a third person working a video camera the entire night, though. It was cool because when they were doing all the set photos of bridal party, bride and groom, etc. each photographer was able to get different angles and perspectives. Had some really great pics turn out because of that, IMO.
I've seen that too. I've also seen it go horribly wrong; like each photog using the same radio system for their flashes--same channel and whatnot, so one goes for a shot, pops *all* the lights overexposing, then the other shoots another with nothing flashed because the recycle hasn't completed.

I've also seen the cheapo version work incredibly well. Back when disposables were a thing a couple gave everyone a disposable and told them to go hog wild and deposit it in a bin afterwards.

Yeah, I forget what our photographer was exactly, but it was easily 4 figures, although we did engagement photos with them as well. 2 different photographers taking pictures during the ceremony, pictures with the wedding party and during the ceremony.

Then we had a videographer, which was a different expense all together. Thankfully, some of my wife's family chipped in for that as our gift. I don't know if I'd recommend a videographer. We watched the video once and it was cool to see I guess, but it's probably something we'll maybe watch 4-5 times in our life?

It's so hard with all this stuff because obviously you want the wedding to be special (brides even more so), and it makes it hard to say no to things because of the sentimentality involved.
For us we got lucky. My then SiL wanted to build a portfolio, so her wedding gift was to do it for free knowing full well her amateur status (and me telling her to run while she still can). Full disclosure to my wife and she was on-board since she is totally not the whole fairy-tale-everything-has-to-be-perfect type. Photos turned out great. Nothing over the top but my wife and I loved them and we were trying to keep the costs down, so win/win.

I agree about the video; we've got it (amateur job) but we don't watch it. The pictures are different; we have them up both digitally and otherwise.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I've seen that too. I've also seen it go horribly wrong; like each photog using the same radio system for their flashes--same channel and whatnot, so one goes for a shot, pops *all* the lights overexposing, then the other shoots another with nothing flashed because the recycle hasn't completed.

I've also seen the cheapo version work incredibly well. Back when disposables were a thing a couple gave everyone a disposable and told them to go hog wild and deposit it in a bin afterwards.

For us we got lucky. My then SiL wanted to build a portfolio, so her wedding gift was to do it for free knowing full well her amateur status (and me telling her to run while she still can). Full disclosure to my wife and she was on-board since she is totally not the whole fairy-tale-everything-has-to-be-perfect type. Photos turned out great. Nothing over the top but my wife and I loved them and we were trying to keep the costs down, so win/win.

I agree about the video; we've got it (amateur job) but we don't watch it. The pictures are different; we have them up both digitally and otherwise.

That would be awful....

I've also been to a wedding where they had a disposable for each guest, and you just left it in a bin. Similar to how they do it now with photo booths and making a book with all the shots. You glue/tape yours in and write a little message. They had a regular photographer, also. But some of the most epic wedding photos I've ever seen came from those disposables. :laugh:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
That would be awful....

I've also been to a wedding where they had a disposable for each guest, and you just left it in a bin like they do now with photo booths and making a book with all the shots. They had a regular photographer, also. But some of the most epic wedding photos I've ever seen came from those disposables. :laugh:
Yeah...the important thing about the wedding is the fun and memories, not trying to out-do your peers. I think this concept has been lost for awhile and sometimes the happiest weddings tend to be the shoestring budget ones.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Anytime I talk to someone who had a budget wedding, they always say the same thing: "I wish I had spent more on the photography"

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I do think the pictures are something that you will always cherish. I have no regrets on those.

My friends did a budget wedding that they had everyone download this photo sharing app where they could get all the pictures. That's the modern version of the disposable camera idea. I think that would be a good job of capturing the party itself. But having professional pictures for the ceremony as well as with the wedding party is something I would recommend for sure.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Anytime I talk to someone who had a budget wedding, they always say the same thing: "I wish I had spent more on the photography"

I had a budget wedding and I don't think I've ever looked at our wedding photos. Some are on the wall because my wife hung them up, but honestly if no photos existed, I wouldn't care.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Man, didn't expect my little comment about the heatwave to turn into this..

tZOS8.gif

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
No joke, I texted some girl yesterday to see if she wanted to hang out sunday night and she replied with that Homer Simpson gif :laugh:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I think I'd do a professional photographer for the ceremony but the reception would be perfect for disposable cameras

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Just had a broken wisdom tooth pulled out and cavity fill in upper part of my mouth

Need to have an old filling fixed and another cavity + upper wisdom tooth pulled out (on other side of mouth) in coming weeks/month

Not a pleasant experience

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
That sounds like the definition of unpleasant

Just had a broken wisdom tooth pulled out and cavity fill in upper part of my mouth

Need to have an old filling fixed and another cavity + upper wisdom tooth pulled out (on other side of mouth) in coming weeks/month

Not a pleasant experience

Yep. It blows. I feel you BWC. I really do. This Saturday will mark two weeks since I had both my lower wisdom teeth yanked, one was broken, the other wasn't. Neither of the holes has completely sealed up yet. The right side still hurts because of how hard he was torquing on my jaw/mouth to get that one out. Not impacted or anything, just simple extractions, but that one just didn't wanna budge. He ended up cutting it in half to get it out, but only after he wrenched on my jaw and cheek for 10 mins attempting to just use brute force...

And it'll mark 5 weeks since having the top two wisdom teeth pulled, which were a piece of cake, and hardly caused me more than slight discomfort afterwards. The difference between how I've felt from the bottoms vs the tops is night and day, for whatever reason.

Had a filling on either side on the top done when those top wisdom teeth were pulled too.

I hate the dentist, and thank God, all my work is done now, so I don't have to go back until next year for a simple cleaning...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah it took him a while to force tooth out on me as well because of how little was left

Still bleeding and still numb

I plan to try to eat spaghetti for dinner in a few hours so hopefully that doesn't pose problems for me. Will naturally be eating on opposite side of mouth

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
RE weddings: I was always down for a courthouse wedding and small party with friends afterwards. We wound up renting a beach house near one of our favorite cities - Charleston. Spent a good bit on it, but did a "budget wedding" of sorts. We had a house on the beach for 4-5 nights, that 15 of us stayed at. We just made a play list on an iPad, and hooked that up to some wireless Job Rocker amp things, or something like that.

My wife and I are big food people, so we did spend a ton on the caterer. But they also let us hire a bartender through them and we got a keg of my favorite beer, couple cases of our favorite wine, and our friends said they'd bring liquor for us.... and the bartender served all that.

My wife also did the disposal camera thing, left a few on every table. About 7-8 tables I think and about 60 ish people total there. Perfect size for us. We did also hire a photographer, who bailed on us a few months prior. Decided not to hire another one and a friend offer up to take pictures for and found out he's a professional photographer of sorts on the side, just doesn't like to tell anyone. He took pics for free but we got him a killer box of cigars and his wife a great bottle of bourbon. Honestly don't think we've sat down a single time to go through the pictures, though.

RE tequila: yes I have Impala! My FIL introduced me to that bottle about a year ago. It's incredible. Check out their mezcal if you can, the one in the black bottle. It's otherworldly.

RE steak: just had carne asada at Frontero down here in Orlando... medium rare.

Oh, and back to the wedding thing.... only request I had was for us to rent the inflatable sumo suits. In laws and wife thought. I was joking about it.... until some dude I'm a ****** pickup truck dropped them off. Best $150 I've ever spent. We had some much damn fun with those.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah it took him a while to force tooth out on me as well because of how little was left

I plan to try to eat spaghetti for dinner in a few hours so hopefully that doesn't pose problems for me. Will naturally be eating on opposite side of mouth

It shouldn't bother you to eat spaghetti. You have the fact that only one side was done going for you. Allows you to eat on the opposite side of the mouth, which is nice.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

what happened? was it a wisdom tooth extraction?

Yeah, I do think the pictures are something that you will always cherish. I have no regrets on those.

My friends did a budget wedding that they had everyone download this photo sharing app where they could get all the pictures. That's the modern version of the disposable camera idea. I think that would be a good job of capturing the party itself. But having professional pictures for the ceremony as well as with the wedding party is something I would recommend for sure.

My sister got married last weekend. The wedding itself was great - pretty much entirely outdoors on a super warm weekend...the wedding photos were pretty basic...the cousin of my sister's partner is a photographer and did it all for free. Everyone was happy. The thing is none of us - on either side - are really 'pose for pictures' types of people. I mean we did some formal shots - but not too many. Maybe we'll regret it later.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Worst feeling ever... and it's sad to admit it. I left for work this morning and forgot my phone. It's ridiculous, really, that I have some anxiety from it. Truly shows how we've become slaves to our technology, though. Which is unfortunate. Big reason why I vacation in places in the woods on lakes, why I have a boat, and why I fish. Have to balance it out somehow.

The messed up thing is... I'm going to lose my lunch hour in a little while because I'm going to make the 25 min drive back to my house to get it. :shakehead

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Phone, Keys, Wallet, Ring

Always do my check before I leave. It's brutal forgetting one of them. And yes, it's incredibly sad as people we have to stay connected.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Phone, Keys, Wallet, Ring

Always do my check before I leave. It's brutal forgetting one of them. And yes, it's incredibly sad as people we have to stay connected.

B.S. People got along fine without cell phones. People are far more needy now, that's why they have to stay connected 24/7. I wouldn't mind one bit if an EMP from space came and wiped it all out so we could start over and learn from our mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->