Anyone use Power Director? I need help...

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
First, thanks in advance if you actually read all this (and double thanks if you have something constructive to add). I truly appreciate it!

Long story short, I've used Power Director for many years [since version 12, or maybe earlier]. It's up to 21 now. I use it for editing my Youtube gaming content and up until this past week, it's more or less been a great product. Lately what's happening though is my produced videos are unwatchable garbage. The video will [seemingly] randomly lag, like massive frame drop. The raw recorded content is smooth and clean, though. But when the video lags, the audio keeps going at normal speed.

For Christmas, I got a Fifine mic, so I moved over to recording with OBS, which means my audio and video are on the same track. So it's not like I'm not lining up my voiceover and my video properly, because they're literally the same file. For some of my series [Magic Arena and 7 Days to Die], I do a fair amount of editing and speed up certain chunks of the video, but those are always separated from the whole using the snipping tool. I'm wondering if the issue has something to do with adjusting the video speed, because the last video I produced before this started happening was a Leisure Suit Larry video [it's for charity, I swear!] and I did not speed editing at all, and it came out fine. But still, I've done this same process for 6+ months and never had an issue, so why now?

I've tried a number of things, including a clean install of PD21, but nothing seems to help it. I've tried different encoding codecs, toggling the denoise option on and off, H264 and H265 encoding, MP4, MKV...it's consistently trash for the past week. As far as I can think, I've made no changes to the PC - it worked great, and then it didn't.

I even got a 1tb SSD as a secondary storage drive to free up additional space on my m2 primary. As of right now I have 128gb of 464gb free on the primary, so it's not a space issue [my produced videos are generally in the 6 to 15gb range].

As I type this, I'm producing a video recorded using the built-in Game Bar software, which is what I used before getting the mic. I'm curious to see if I get the same terrible results or not. I would move back to Game Bar and move away from OBS if I thought that was the problem, but I'm really unhappy with how the mic sounds in Game Bar vs. OBS.

Finally, I just downloaded DaVinci Resolve to test that out in the event that PD doesn't work. If anyone's used that and has an opinion, I'd love to hear it. From what I can tell based on the screenshots, the interface looks similar to PD, so I'm hoping it's a smooth transition if I have to move to that.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I've done a ton more testing on this and it seems to be an issue with too many cuts? 7 Days will have probably 100+ snips in any given episode. Magic has maybe 6-10. But episodes I make where I just trim a couple seconds off the beginning are fine. Does that make any sense to anyone, specifically with "how do I get it back to working properly"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad