Anyone think phaneuf helped johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Does anyone else out there feel that the play of Dion Phaneuf over the last 2 years has helped the stock of Jack Johnson.....my point of contention is that players like phaneuf were starting to be overlooked for top of the draft status unless they were extremely tall such as Coburn until Phaneuf's stock rose considerablly by playing so amazingly.

I have personally seen a lot of comparissons of Jack Johnson to Dion Phaneuf in these threads in the last few months and I am just wondering how much people believe that Phaneuf, absolutely dominating the WHL and the World Juniors has helped open the eyes of NHL GM's to a player like Jack Johnson as a top 2 or 3 of the draft pick.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
it definitely hasn't hurt him...anytime a draft eligible prospect is compared favorably to another prospect or nhler who is viewed in a very positive way that can only help what people think of him (and many times create unfair expectations)...

but while that will influence fans impressions of how good they expect him to be, i'd really hope that scouts and gms base that decision on his actual play and not who people say he plays like.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
C'mon dude, I wouldn't say Phaneuf is opening the doors for people, he's nothing new to the league. He's no dipietro going 1st or something. I think you're just trying to give more credit to your fave. player.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
NYR469 said:
it definitely hasn't hurt him...anytime a draft eligible prospect is compared favorably to another prospect or nhler who is viewed in a very positive way that can only help what people think of him (and many times create unfair expectations)...

but while that will influence fans impressions of how good they expect him to be, i'd really hope that scouts and gms base that decision on his actual play and not who people say he plays like.

W O R D

The trend is sticking with top d-men.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
rnyquist said:
C'mon dude, I wouldn't say Phaneuf is opening the doors for people, he's nothing new to the league. He's no dipietro going 1st or something. I think you're just trying to give more credit to your fave. player.

phaneuf is viewed by many as the top d prospect out there, if not the best prospect overall and i don't think there is a single fan that hears him being compared to scott stevens (knowing how nj built a dynasty with stevens as a main key) can listen to that and think 'man i wish we had him'

well if you wish you had phaneuf and jack johnson is similar than it would only make sense that you would really want johnson. 'we missed our chance to get phaneuf but now we can get a dman just as good'...

it happens all the time with prospects, if you tell people that bobby ryan was the next rick nash, people would be wishing that their team got him because they wish they had nash...

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
rnyquist said:
I think you're just trying to give more credit to your fave. player.

Yep.

Funny as this may seem, but how about the idea that Johnson has earned the positive talk with his play ? :dunno:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bluenote13 said:
Yep.

Funny as this may seem, but how about the idea that Johnson has earned the positive talk with his play ? :dunno:

there is no question that johnson earned the positive talk with his play and his play also earn him the positive comparisions to phaneuf...

the partial scouting reports we get on the net are virtually worthless because when describing a player in 1 or 2 paragraphs you can make a 9th round pick sound like a future hall of famer...

if you tell me that johnson is a smooth skater with good offensive ability and is rock solid in his own end and plays physical and i've never seen him play, then that tells me nothing about him because that description is so wide open. but if you say "he plays just like phaneuf", i can say "wow phaneuf is awesome" that is why people look for comparisions to other players.

johnson has earned his recognition with his play, but saying that comparisions to phaneuf don't help him would be like saying that valabik being compared to chara had nothing to do with him going #10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->