Anyone switch from player to goalie?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So I'm trying to extend my ball hockey life... I want to play two times a week but the hard surfaces kill my joints at that level.

I'm thinking about switching to goalie but have never played as a goalie before. Have any of you guys done it late in life? Any experience?

Nov 4, 2017
Can't help you with the late on life part, but if you do decide to play, stay cool, heatstroke can be a problem for ball hockey goalies.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Haven't played goalie in years, but if you have join problems, playing goalie isn't going to help. If anything, playing goalie is harder on the joints.

Constantly dropping on to your knees, long periods in the butterfly, not so joint friendly.

Reactions: Fixxer

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I started playing goal fairly recently (at 40) after skating for years. I didn't really have too many problems, for what it's worth though I was in half decent shape and I've always been pretty flexible.

I did find that my knees and ankles were getting a bit sore but equipment changes helped both of those. Once I took off the thigh board and got a decent pair of knee pads, I don't notice the knees banging on the ice which I used to be able to feel through the wearing out knee stacks on my pads. And replacing my toe ties with elastic and adjusting strapping did wonders for my ankles.

I don't know about ball or deck hockey and how it might be different though.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I started playing goal fairly recently (at 40) after skating for years. I didn't really have too many problems, for what it's worth though I was in half decent shape and I've always been pretty flexible.

I did find that my knees and ankles were getting a bit sore but equipment changes helped both of those. Once I took off the thigh board and got a decent pair of knee pads, I don't notice the knees banging on the ice which I used to be able to feel through the wearing out knee stacks on my pads. And replacing my toe ties with elastic and adjusting strapping did wonders for my ankles.

I don't know about ball or deck hockey and how it might be different though.
I actually mean more like... The game play itself. Ive played D, W, C and obviously there are differences in play but goaltending is a different beast

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I actually mean more like... The game play itself. Ive played D, W, C and obviously there are differences in play but goaltending is a different beast
If your main concern is physical, refer back to puckpilot's spot-on post. If it's skills and/or adjusting to the positional play, goaltending is slightly more like playing D than the others. Except you get blamed for EVERY goal rather than just a few per game. So the mental aspect may wear you down even quicker than the physical strain. Give it a try, good luck, and report back in this thread. The lives you save may be more than your own. :D

Nov 4, 2017
Some tips then-
1. Stay at the top of your crease
2. Head always below or level with crossbar
3. Get used the the orange ball of death going where ever the hell it wants, it curves like crazy

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Some tips then-
1. Stay at the top of your crease
2. Head always below or level with crossbar
3. Get used the the orange ball of death going where ever the hell it wants, it curves like crazy
Wow I would have thought playing deeper in the net was better for ball hockey because push offs are impossible from side to side.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
Wow I would have thought playing deeper in the net was better for ball hockey because push offs are impossible from side to side.
You are correct. (I play both ball and ice).

The top of the crease might make sense if someone is winding up on the point, but even then, if you give out a rebound (and with the orange ball, rebounds abound!) you've left yourself super vulnerable. During normal play, being further out leaves you hanging if someone dekes or there is someone backdoor. It's so much easier to move on skates and down in the butterfly. Playing ball hockey you need to play more old school standup, and realize you just don't have the mobility that you do on ice.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I switched 10 years ago. But never in my life would I make that investment to play on concrete.

Nov 4, 2017
You are correct. (I play both ball and ice).

The top of the crease might make sense if someone is winding up on the point, but even then, if you give out a rebound (and with the orange ball, rebounds abound!) you've left yourself super vulnerable. During normal play, being further out leaves you hanging if someone dekes or there is someone backdoor. It's so much easier to move on skates and down in the butterfly. Playing ball hockey you need to play more old school standup, and realize you just don't have the mobility that you do on ice.
I agree, but I can do a weird jump thing. If someone is at the left faceoff circle and the pass to someone on the right hand side of the crease, I lift my right leg and push off with my left.
It works well enough for me.

PaulBissonnette

Average-sized wrench
Jan 24, 2014
Saskatchewan
Similar to what others have said, switching to goalie isn't going to save your joints necessarily. I'd recommend buying some shoes that supply a lot of ankle support and cushion, as well as modifying the way (or position) you play to do less running on the hard concrete. With that said, in my league there are levels of competitiveness from A-E, so perhaps you could drop down a level or two.

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
How is the goal-tending journey going? Have you played yet? I'm actually trying to be a ball hockey goalie on the side, more of like an emergency backup. I've taken my time getting the gear, and played my first 'legit' ball hockey game about a month ago. Won the game 9-8 lol it was quite an adventure. Since I'm quite a goalie noob, I'm starting as a emergency backup in coed ball hockey leagues. I get to play next week and am hoping a few less goals go in then the last game.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
How is the goal-tending journey going? Have you played yet? I'm actually trying to be a ball hockey goalie on the side, more of like an emergency backup. I've taken my time getting the gear, and played my first 'legit' ball hockey game about a month ago. Won the game 9-8 lol it was quite an adventure. Since I'm quite a goalie noob, I'm starting as a emergency backup in coed ball hockey leagues. I get to play next week and am hoping a few less goals go in then the last game.
Playing tommorow with some guys that need help. Just a gym environment. Should be fun.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I find its more efficient to play a blend of stand-up and butterfly for ball hockey. The quicker you can get back to your feet it makes it easier to get in position for the next shot.

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
I agree with this hybrid standup/butterfly style. My only issue with it is that I can't get up very fast lol. Also its so darn hot with all the equip on, I'm just happy I don't barf during the game because it's so hot!

Nov 4, 2017
I agree with this hybrid standup/butterfly style. My only issue with it is that I can't get up very fast lol. Also its so darn hot with all the equip on, I'm just happy I don't barf during the game because it's so hot!
I can usually rely on having bad heat exhaustion at least once a year, 42 shots over 30 min is not fun or very cool.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Doing this "one-knee down" movement is very helpful. Especially on longer shots and guys shooting off the rush. Since you don't go all the way down you can jump back up quickly. Just make sure you have your 5-hole covered

untitled-146-2.jpg

brodeur001.jpg

Reactions: SnipesMalloy

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Hey guys, I'm 12-15 games in or so of different varieties. Got a call for a 90 minute fill in this past week with some heavy hitters.

My question is, What is the protocol for taking ringers to the head?

One guy blasted a snapshot in the game and my head was ringing and I felt disoriented. I dropped my head and they stopped the play right away because they had seen me get hit in the mask.

Should I have kept trying to play or should Is it common for game play to stop when a goalie gets a bad ringer in ball hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad