Anyone see this quote by Roenick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
I couldn't find it posted on this board anywhere...

"Put this in there: Because of all this, the owners and the players are going to have to find a way to give back to the fans, whether it's lower ticket prices, offering more packages, offering more TV exposure ... There has to be something so fans can say, 'This lockout was worth it because I got something out of it,'" the 35-year-old veteran said. "If we take the hockey the way it was during this period of time and keep it as is, it's going to be hard to get people back."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1980389

:handclap: Absolutely. Of course, his words will fall on deaf ears...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
:handclap:

I'm not typically a fan of JR opening his mouth, but he had somehting good to say here!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
getnziggywidit said:
Free Center Ice

:thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu:

Gives me some extra money to buy another hockey jersey. See the NHL still makes money and I make out really good.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Having met JR on a few of brief occasions when he was in Chicago, I can say that based on those experiences he is a quality guy who most definitely gets it. He was also a fan of the Chicago nightlife. ;)
Maybe he spouts off a lot, but that's part of his charm. I've never heard of, and certainly never seen, a negative interaction between him and fans.

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
That is part of an article that was in a newspaper a few days ago. To me the best part is that you know that there was no way JR was going to come back the next day and say that his comments were taken out of context. Love him or hate him, JR is a man who will stand behind his words.

I also like this part, if JR gets this why can't the other big ticket players.

"My main message right now is the game is more important than egos. The players need to give back what I think has gotten out of hand, in terms of salaries. Our game is great, our game is popular, but not popular enough to control $8-, $9- or $10-million salaries going out.

"The owners maybe have to be open to the idea of revenue sharing. They want to have a partnership with the players. They need to have a partnership with themselves."

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dr Love said:

"Put this in there: Because of all this, the owners and the players are going to have to find a way to give back to the fans, whether it's lower ticket prices, offering more packages, offering more TV exposure ... There has to be something so fans can say, 'This lockout was worth it because I got something out of it,'" the 35-year-old veteran said. "If we take the hockey the way it was during this period of time and keep it as is, it's going to be hard to get people back."
Nice of JR to want to give back to the fans. However, I could not help noticing that all of the thing he mentioned come out of the OWNERS pockets. No mention of how the PLAYERS would give back to the fans. Unless, of course, they accept a deal linking revenues to salary...

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
wazee said:
Nice of JR to want to give back to the fans. However, I could not help noticing that all of the thing he mentioned come out of the OWNERS pockets. No mention of how the PLAYERS would give back to the fans. Unless, of course, they accept a deal linking revenues to salary...
Well, realistically, what can the players do from that standpoint? The concessions that would be viable and realistic the would have a worth to fans are concessions by the owners... lower tickets or free center ice for a year or something... the players can make all the autograph apperances they want or something, but that isn't going to matter to fans if the product and the way it is presented is the same. I'm at a loss to think of what the players can do that they can directly control to give back to make a hockey game a better experience for the fans to ease the effect that the lockout has had on us.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Well, realistically, what can the players do from that standpoint? The concessions that would be viable and realistic the would have a worth to fans are concessions by the owners... lower tickets or free center ice for a year or something... the players can make all the autograph apperances they want or something, but that isn't going to matter to fans if the product and the way it is presented is the same. I'm at a loss to think of what the players can do that they can directly control to give back to make a hockey game a better experience for the fans to ease the effect that the lockout has had on us.

I agree. Unless the players accept linkage, there is little the players can give to the fans. I just think it is ironic that JR doesn't seem to get it. He says 'the owners and the players are going to have to give back to the fans' and goes on to list ways that come out of the owner's pockets...and he doesn't even seem to realize it. It is like he thinks he has equal right to the owner's money. The players have a very childlike concept of how business functions.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Dr Love said:

But the players can give back. They can come to the realization they play in a gate driven league and that NHL salaries should not be on a level with the NFL, NBA and MLB. The NHL salaries should be somewhere between the CFL and the other three. This should then result in lower ticket prices. Once the players realize they can't realistically expect $6-$8 million a season and once the owners quit being stupid and paying idiotic salaries to the likes of Holik and Lapointe then the league will be fan friendly because hockey fans should be able to afford tickets once again.

If the rules of economics actually play out here and the owners don't just gouge the fans once salaries are scaled back.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
"The bottom line is, the fans don't want to hear our issues. They don't want to hear who's right and who's wrong. They just want entertaining hockey back." -Tie Domi on the current lockout as quoted in the Toronto Sun.

Problem here is ending the lockout won't give fans what he says they want.
To give fans entertaining hockey the NHL would have to go back to the way the game was played in the 80's and early 90's. Not the clutch and grab ****** that was played by the majority of teams prior to the lockout.

Robert Paulson*

go kim johnsson said:
I'm not typically a fan of JR opening his mouth, but he had somehting good to say here!
Same here myself, but I'm happy he's stepped up here and actually said something productive.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Its a start....

but they still dont get it..... a couple key phrases:

Owners get more money.... key on "owners can make more money".

Sorry JR, that is owners can make money.

Also the fans... "cheaper tickets'' ?

What fans want is for there to be an even playing field.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
wazee said:
I agree. Unless the players accept linkage, there is little the players can give to the fans. I just think it is ironic that JR doesn't seem to get it. He says 'the owners and the players are going to have to give back to the fans' and goes on to list ways that come out of the owner's pockets...and he doesn't even seem to realize it. It is like he thinks he has equal right to the owner's money. The players have a very childlike concept of how business functions.
I might be talking out my ass, but I want to say that Roenick has said he is for the salaries being linked to revenue. I don't think he's said it in those words, but I'll see what I can find.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Zhackpot said:
But the players can give back. They can come to the realization they play in a gate driven league and that NHL salaries should not be on a level with the NFL, NBA and MLB. The NHL salaries should be somewhere between the CFL and the other three. This should then result in lower ticket prices. Once the players realize they can't realistically expect $6-$8 million a season and once the owners quit being stupid and paying idiotic salaries to the likes of Holik and Lapointe then the league will be fan friendly because hockey fans should be able to afford tickets once again.

If the rules of economics actually play out here and the owners don't just gouge the fans once salaries are scaled back.
Yes, but what does that guarantee to the fans? The players taking pay cuts does not guarantee lower ticket prices, it only makes it feasible. Unless they do it on their own or it's in a legal, binding agreement, the owners are under no obligation to lower ticket prices just because the players lowered their salaries. Like I said, all the things that would affect all fans are under the direct control of the owners, not the players.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Dr Love said:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1980389

:handclap: Absolutely. Of course, his words will fall on deaf ears...

I dont get it......what would he or other players be giving back....lower ticket prices, offering more packages, offering more TV exposure....this is all stuff that would come out of someone elses pocket, not the players pockets....

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Dr Love said:
Yes, but what does that guarantee to the fans? The players taking pay cuts does not guarantee lower ticket prices, it only makes it feasible. Unless they do it on their own or it's in a legal, binding agreement, the owners are under no obligation to lower ticket prices just because the players lowered their salaries. Like I said, all the things that would affect all fans are under the direct control of the owners, not the players.

True enough but with a good PR person all the players would have to do to spin things in their favor is to announce that they have agreed to cost-certainty, a cap whatever it is to be called to help control ticket prices and make the game more affordable.

With that out there the owners would have no choice but to lower prices or alienate fans even more.

Except in Toronto where they can seemingly raise ticket prices every year, then not spend that money on improving the team, and fans don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->