Anyone here have a GT350?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
How was the ordering process? Was it difficult to find an allocation without ADM? I’m looking to order a GT350 or a ZL1 1LE in April. I already know where to get the 1LE for under sticker, but it seems impossible to find a GT350 without ADM.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Almost certainly no one here. I’d try a Ford or Mustang forum.

But I imagine you’re shit out of luck. There are dealers who will sell them at MSRP but they’ll have waiting lists. A Camaro doesn’t have the cache a Shelby does, and it doesn’t have the image that the Hellcat does. So that’s why you can get one under MSRP. Allocations are very low and dealers have zero incentive to sell them for MSRP let alone below. If you want to pay under sticker, buy used. You’re only seeking disappointment and frustration by trying.

You could try a consulting service (there’s a columnist on Jalopnik, Tom McPharland who does this) and they might have better luck.

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
A regular GT350, or the GT350R? ZL1 1LE is so far beyond the GT350 I don't even see them as direct competitors. I've seen 350s at sticker here in WV, probably because the state is in the shitter and no one can afford them anyway. The Rs are still being marked up quite a bit. I've got friends with both a GT350 and a non-1LE ZL1. The ZL1 is significantly quicker on track (VIR, Summit Point, Mid-Ohio) and off and, from what they've told me, easier to live with. Think the only reason I could see going for the GT350 would be the noise (the main reason I bought my car, so a very valid argument) or if you just really hate Camaros for some reason.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Almost certainly no one here. I’d try a Ford or Mustang forum.

But I imagine you’re **** out of luck. There are dealers who will sell them at MSRP but they’ll have waiting lists. A Camaro doesn’t have the cache a Shelby does, and it doesn’t have the image that the Hellcat does. So that’s why you can get one under MSRP. Allocations are very low and dealers have zero incentive to sell them for MSRP let alone below. If you want to pay under sticker, buy used. You’re only seeking disappointment and frustration by trying.

You could try a consulting service (there’s a columnist on Jalopnik, Tom McPharland who does this) and they might have better luck.
1LEs are getting huge markups too if you can even find one. I just know a saleswoman in Detroit that I’ve purchased multiple cars from, and she is able to get one for me.
A regular GT350, or the GT350R? ZL1 1LE is so far beyond the GT350 I don't even see them as direct competitors. I've seen 350s at sticker here in WV, probably because the state is in the ****ter and no one can afford them anyway. The Rs are still being marked up quite a bit. I've got friends with both a GT350 and a non-1LE ZL1. The ZL1 is significantly quicker on track (VIR, Summit Point, Mid-Ohio) and off and, from what they've told me, easier to live with. Think the only reason I could see going for the GT350 would be the noise (the main reason I bought my car, so a very valid argument) or if you just really hate Camaros for some reason.
I’m looking for one or the other. I don’t really see that much of a difference between the R and the 350 besides the $4000 x 4 carbon fiber wheels, which I would pull off anyway. I think all of the other changes could be retrofitted.

The only reason I’d take it over the ZL1 is because of the sound. I’ve owned 3 Camaros including a ‘15 Z/28, so I’m more biased towards that.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
1LEs are getting huge markups too if you can even find one. I just know a saleswoman in Detroit that I’ve purchased multiple cars from, and she is able to get one for me.

I’m looking for one or the other. I don’t really see that much of a difference between the R and the 350 besides the $4000 x 4 carbon fiber wheels, which I would pull off anyway. I think all of the other changes could be retrofitted.

The only reason I’d take it over the ZL1 is because of the sound. I’ve owned 3 Camaros including a ‘15 Z/28, so I’m more biased towards that.

Yeah but it doesn't surprise me you can find one below sticker. It's all about the brand and not about the car. And unless you have a manufacturer who takes serious steps to stop ADM, you will get them on just about any limited production car. How pervasive that is depends on what it is.

You have zero chance of finding an R below sticker. Like literally none. The R is tuned and built for the track, so unless you're planning on doing that, I'm not really sure why you'd pay the premium.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Yeah but it doesn't surprise me you can find one below sticker. It's all about the brand and not about the car. And unless you have a manufacturer who takes serious steps to stop ADM, you will get them on just about any limited production car. How pervasive that is depends on what it is.

You have zero chance of finding an R below sticker. Like literally none. The R is tuned and built for the track, so unless you're planning on doing that, I'm not really sure why you'd pay the premium.
That’s exactly what I’m buying it for. I don’t like driving the Z/28 on the track because it is so rare and special compared to a 350 or a 1LE.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
That’s exactly what I’m buying it for. I don’t like driving the Z/28 on the track because it is so rare and special compared to a 350 or a 1LE.

Why wouldn't you keep the carbon fiber wheels on then? I'd imagine the car was designed with the wheels in mind, so taking them off might have significant negative impacts. If you're worried about the cost of replacement, no offense, you shouldn't be buying the car lol.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Why wouldn't you keep the carbon fiber wheels on then? I'd imagine the car was designed with the wheels in mind, so taking them off might have significant negative impacts. If you're worried about the cost of replacement, no offense, you shouldn't be buying the car lol.
I’d only use them on the track and then pull them right off. The roads here are terrible and I have no desire in wasting four thousand dollars on purchasing a new wheel.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
I picked up a used 2016 GT350 last fall, but parked it for the winter before doing much driving. Snow isn't completely gone yet, and roads are still a mess, so it hasn't come out yet, and it is killing me.

I bought it from a friend (father of a kid I coached), so I had had it out a few times before I bought it. It was by chance I got it, because I happened to see him one day, and mentioned I was looking to buy a new one. One thing lead to another, and he offered his up for less than the average used one was going for.

Anyway, can't give you much detail about buying new. I haven't seen a R in real life yet, and only a few GT350's. Still haven't seen the new Camaro, but I rarely check my mirror, so that's usually where Chevy's are when I'm on the road ;) People will say the Chevy is faster, but as you mentioned, dealers are selling the Ford for above sicker, and the Chevy can be had for below. There is a reason for it. And if by chance GM gets a bit too loud and makes the mistake of thinking they are king of the muscle car, the GT500 will show up on scene and end that quick. GM should just leave trucks and muscle cars to Ford. Focus more on spending taxpayer money to sell average cars for below profit. Don't mess with the company that has the best truck, then went out and built the Raptor.

In the limited time I've been behind the wheel, I can tell you it's truly an awful car. It's a pain to drive, as it's way to firm and you kill yourself on every bump, sits so low you are worried about every curb / speed bump, and the transmission is useless at slow speeds. But the engine. Oh my the engine. Get a piece of open road and put your foot down. A few years back it was rated the 2nd best drivers car on the planet, only getting beat by the McLaren 570. I have to wonder what the McLaren does to be better than the GT350. Ford could easily add an extra $100,000 to the price tag, and it would still be a bargin.

So I wish you luck in buying your new car. If you want to save money, buy the Camaro and be despressed. If you want a truly great car, there is no doubt, get the Shelby

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
In the limited time I've been behind the wheel, I can tell you it's truly an awful car. It's a pain to drive, as it's way to firm and you kill yourself on every bump, sits so low you are worried about every curb / speed bump, and the transmission is useless at slow speeds. But the engine. Oh my the engine. Get a piece of open road and put your foot down. A few years back it was rated the 2nd best drivers car on the planet, only getting beat by the McLaren 570. I have to wonder what the McLaren does to be better than the GT350. Ford could easily add an extra $100,000 to the price tag, and it would still be a bargin.

If Ford added $100,000 to the Gt350 price tag, they would essentially never sell any. A few to some Mustang diehards, maybe, but for $160,000 it gets to compete against high end sports cars like a 911 GT3, the NSX, a R8, high end AMG GT’s, the SL63, and the Maserati GranTurismi. It is significantly more than base 911’s, GTR’s, the F-Type R, and the rest of Ford’s American competitors.

What would happen is the same thing that will happen to GM if they give the mid-engined Corvette a Corvette nameplate and try to sell if for $200,000 (now if they make it a Caddilac and give it a different name, it might sell more). The price range is fine right now, and dealers are only able to sell over asking because supply is so low and the base price is also low. If the car started at $157,000 instead of $57,000, people would scoff and rightfully so.

Reactions: RichWVU

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How was the ordering process? Was it difficult to find an allocation without ADM? I’m looking to order a GT350 or a ZL1 1LE in April. I already know where to get the 1LE for under sticker, but it seems impossible to find a GT350 without ADM.

Get the ZL1 1LE.

Unless you are only buying for the sake of saying you have a GT350, the ZL1 1LE beats it in basically every single category other than the name. You already know this from owning the Z/28, dude.

Now that it's May, 1LEs are available everywhere for sticker or below. Markups are gone.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I picked up a used 2016 GT350 last fall, but parked it for the winter before doing much driving. Snow isn't completely gone yet, and roads are still a mess, so it hasn't come out yet, and it is killing me.

I bought it from a friend (father of a kid I coached), so I had had it out a few times before I bought it. It was by chance I got it, because I happened to see him one day, and mentioned I was looking to buy a new one. One thing lead to another, and he offered his up for less than the average used one was going for.

Anyway, can't give you much detail about buying new. I haven't seen a R in real life yet, and only a few GT350's. Still haven't seen the new Camaro, but I rarely check my mirror, so that's usually where Chevy's are when I'm on the road ;) People will say the Chevy is faster, but as you mentioned, dealers are selling the Ford for above sicker, and the Chevy can be had for below. There is a reason for it. And if by chance GM gets a bit too loud and makes the mistake of thinking they are king of the muscle car, the GT500 will show up on scene and end that quick. GM should just leave trucks and muscle cars to Ford. Focus more on spending taxpayer money to sell average cars for below profit. Don't mess with the company that has the best truck, then went out and built the Raptor.

So I wish you luck in buying your new car. If you want to save money, buy the Camaro and be despressed. If you want a truly great car, there is no doubt, get the Shelby

trucks? yeah, I agree with you.

but Ford has never been able to compete with GM on muscle cars. especially in the last 30 years.

the LSx motors put an end to that debate.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
trucks? yeah, I agree with you.

but Ford has never been able to compete with GM on muscle cars. especially in the last 30 years.

the LSx motors put an end to that debate.

The Coyote engine is a very good platform. I would take the LSx platform over it generally, but I enjoyed my 2013 Mustang quite a bit. The new A10 tranny is the same for Ford and GM, now, too, so you're not running into differences on that side.

Possibly the best automatic transmission on the market. A true gamechanger.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The Coyote engine is a very good platform. I would take the LSx platform over it generally, but I enjoyed my 2013 Mustang quite a bit. The new A10 tranny is the same for Ford and GM, now, too, so you're not running into differences on that side.

Possibly the best automatic transmission on the market. A true gamechanger.

Probably the best American transmission, but its still no PDK.

RichWVU

Sep 17, 2014
I'll take the 4L60E or 80E any day

If you're only worried about straight line performance, sure, I guess. That ten-speed is incredible though, spent some time at Summit Point with my friend's ZL1, really amazed at how quick it is for a torque converter.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
@Eberzal You ever get a GT350?

I knew quite a few guys who went GT500 to GT350 and most of them quickly flipped them for something else. While nothing was wrong with the car itself, the lack of torque down low/having to be at higher rpms for it to really move was a turn off for guys used to down low torque thanks to a supercharger.
Seems like you are more geared towards the track, where that car will obviously shine.
Make sure you stay away from the tech package 16's, IIRC, as they overheated quickly.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
@Eberzal You ever get a GT350?

I knew quite a few guys who went GT500 to GT350 and most of them quickly flipped them for something else. While nothing was wrong with the car itself, the lack of torque down low/having to be at higher rpms for it to really move was a turn off for guys used to down low torque thanks to a supercharger.
Seems like you are more geared towards the track, where that car will obviously shine.
Make sure you stay away from the tech package 16's, IIRC, as they overheated quickly.
Not yet. I was really leaning towards the 1LE, but then they announced some of the improvements for the ‘19 MY and I decided to wait. If I ordered an ‘18 it would be in right as the season was ending anyway.

While I was waiting, I spotted a used GT350 at a local dealer, so I went in to test drive it and absolutely fell in love with that engine. I also like the improvements that they’ve announced for ‘19, so I’m waiting for the order banks to open up.

I just need to find a dealership not marking them up, which is difficult because every Ford dealer on Long Island is run by scumbags. I went to one the other day that said they were marking the ‘18s and ‘19s up 5k, but I could buy a leftover ‘17 at MSRP because the manager wanted it gone. Maybe if they weren’t marking them up they could actually move units :rolleyes:

Reactions: ShootIt

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Not yet. I was really leaning towards the 1LE, but then they announced some of the improvements for the ‘19 MY and I decided to wait. If I ordered an ‘18 it would be in right as the season was ending anyway.

While I was waiting, I spotted a used GT350 at a local dealer, so I went in to test drive it and absolutely fell in love with that engine. I also like the improvements that they’ve announced for ‘19, so I’m waiting for the order banks to open up.

I just need to find a dealership not marking them up, which is difficult because every Ford dealer on Long Island is run by scumbags. I went to one the other day that said they were marking the ‘18s and ‘19s up 5k, but I could buy a leftover ‘17 at MSRP because the manager wanted it gone. Maybe if they weren’t marking them up they could actually move units :rolleyes:

I feel ya on the dealer markups. South Florida is also full of those dealers asking up to 20k+ markup on select Fords. Best bet would be to order out of state and either drive it back or have it drop shipped to a local dealer(for pick up only).

Knew quite a few guys down here who ordered Raptors up to a 1000 miles away to avoid 10-15k markups down here.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I feel ya on the dealer markups. South Florida is also full of those dealers asking up to 20k+ markup on select Fords. Best bet would be to order out of state and either drive it back or have it drop shipped to a local dealer(for pick up only).

Knew quite a few guys down here who ordered Raptors up to a 1000 miles away to avoid 10-15k markups down here.
I was living in MD when I got my Z/28, and they all wanted 10k over. I had it delivered from a dealership in Michigan instead for under sticker and with supplier discount. I don’t expect to get a 350 order for under sticker, but I’m sure as hell not paying over it. I’ll try to negotiate with these clowns first and if they want to play games I’ll go out of state.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
These are everywhere here in MI. Well, everywhere if you're in the car scene. Dealers definitely have 'em, though I haven't priced them in a couple years when I was shopping (ended up getting a more-practical ATS-V, but anyway...)

I'd echo what Eberzal said and look online for out of state dealers. MI and OH are good bets, perhaps IN and IL as well. I've done that before, though it wasn't quite 1000 miles away, and got a great deal on the car. I had other places wasting time not willing to go even close to what I ended up paying for a comparable example elsewhere. Unless you're entirely unreasonable, someone will surely be willing to deal. Now with the '19s getting all the hype you may see an abundance of the hitting dealerships as people prepare to upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->