Anyone Hear This? (Marek Schwarz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Marek Schwarz is going to stay in NA and play Juniors for someone? He said it was a mistake to play go play in the Czech Republic because he is not playing there as the backup.

I dont have a link or anything it just something I heard...it suppose to be from a newspaper..again I don't know which one.

Not even sure if he could just bail out on this team over there....so not sure if this is true or not.

Last edited:

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
Kirk Pedersen said:
I'm pretty sure the Vancouver Giants didn't lose his rights when he went back to the Czech Republic after last season, but I could very well be wrong.

If the Giants still own his rights, I could see a bidding war taking place in the WHL for them. Vancouver already has two goalies in Slade and Tartaglione and with Tyson Sexsmith injured and nearly ready to return, there'd be no room for him here.

Not to mention the fact that they've already got Michal Repik and Mario Bliznak occupying their designated import slots, although Bliznak could easily be moved.

they would have released his rights so they could carry two other euros would be my guess.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I was under the impression the reason he left was to be with his girlfriend more than anything hockey-related. Maybe she's ready to move with him?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
allin4466 said:
they would have released his rights so they could carry two other euros would be my guess.
I'm not sure this is how it works. I think you can carry the rights to more than two imports as long as you only have 2 on your active roster, but I'm definitely not positive. As an example, the Rockets earlier this season were carrying 3 imports, with Darzins on the IR (the other two being Alexander Edler and Thomas Raffl). Before activating Darzins, they moved Raffl to Swift Current to free up the import spot, but carried the rights to three Euros for the first 20 or so games of the season. I'm not sure if this also extends to players playing in Europe, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

What I'm more worried about is that I think there is a limit of having three imports on you protected player list, and that their third at the start of the season was not Schwarz but Meszaros in case he didn't get signed by Ottawa and was sent back to junior. I'm not positive on any of this, though, so if anyone is please fill us in. In the case that no CHL teams has his rights, how is his team decided? Can he even come play if no one has his rights? Does he have to reenter the import draft?

If he is Giants property and he does indeed come back, things could be interesting. The Giants already have one too many goalies, and Tartaglione is already almost certainly being shopped. If Schwarz comes back what happens? Sexsmith is not going anywhere, of that I am almost certain, but is it Slade or Schwarz who gets moved? I would assume Schwarz since Slade has been playing very well recently and can come back next year and start as an overager for the Giants' Memorial Cup year, but who knows.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Epsilon said:
I was under the impression the reason he left was to be with his girlfriend more than anything hockey-related. Maybe she's ready to move with him?
That's correct (Schwarz leaving b/c he was homesick and wanted to be closer to his GF). He's the backup on his team despite having better stats - the guy in front of him is apparently one of those, "he's been here for 47 years, he's going to be the #1 guy even if he sucks" players.

However ... I've heard that he's under contract to Sparta for 2006-07 and that there's not an escape clause allowing him to leave for the NHL. Can anyone confirm this?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
allin4466 said:

I don't know if it works like this if he's already played for them, but they might've put him on the suspended list. That's what Regina has done with Martin Hanzal the past two years and Anze Kopitar for this one.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Jon Prescription said:
Not like Schwarz did much of anything to begin with in the WHL.
Thank God we don't write off prospects around here after their first season coming from Europe to North America as an 18-year old learning to play on the smaller rink with a team in it's 3rd year of ....

Wait - that happens here all the time. Crosby didn't go 3-2-5 on opening night and there were 4 threads already calling him a bust.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Irish Blues said:
Thank God we don't write off prospects around here after their first season coming from Europe to North America as an 18-year old learning to play on the smaller rink with a team in it's 3rd year of .....

Not to mention being overworked beyond belief to start the season. No junior goalie should have that consecutive action, nevermind a goalie coming over to a new culture, language, system and general style of play.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
rt said:
Yeah, but those were jokes.
Some of them weren't.
Roughneck said:
Not to mention being overworked beyond belief to start the season. No junior goalie should have that consecutive action, nevermind a goalie coming over to a new culture, language, system and general style of play.
I completely agree on the last part of your post - I'd have to dig out notes to recall how many games he was playing early on in '03-04. I just know that the kid was arguably the #1 goalie available in the 2004 draft (he and Montoya were 1/2, who was #1 depended on whose list you were looking at), and from about the 9th pick on, team after team kept passing over him (Edmonton took Dubnyk and just got savaged by everyone covering the draft). When the Blues took him at 17, the overwhelming response was, "FINALLY - someone comes to their senses and takes the kid."

Then he plays 1 season in the WHL with the factors you and I mention, and because he didn't post a 2.05 GAA and .935 save percentage and backstop the Giants to the Memorial Cup, "AAAHHH...he's a bust, he sucks, he's got no talent, blah blah blah blah blah."

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
Maybe he's tired of being whipped.

Sw0op

May 25, 2003
Visit site
i can confirm the above story about him saying it was a mistake to leave NA. I don't remember if I read it or watched it on TV or both but I remember that the Giants would have a hard time accepting him back because of how well their current goaltender is playing for them

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
No one says he sucks or has no talent or is even in bust territory, so stop exaggerating it out like that.

He's just been a major disappointment and you really can't deny that. Al Montoya was a big disappointment last year, but his play in the AHL this year is downright superb.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Jon Prescription said:
No one says he sucks or has no talent or is even in bust territory, so stop exaggerating it out like that.

He's just been a major disappointment and you really can't deny that. Al Montoya was a big disappointment last year, but his play in the AHL this year is downright superb.

I can deny it all I want.

How someone can call Schwarz a major disappointment at this stage in his career is beyond me. He's had three straight years of superior work in the WJC's and this year was the only player outside of Peter Pohl and David Krejci to provide any glimmer of hope to the Czech's this year.

While his year in the Dub wasn't spectacular, it's not like it was horrible or anything. It's pretty much what one would expect of a solid youngster switching from one league to another.

You can't expect a 19 year old goaltender to come out and be Dominik Hasek in his 1st year in North American hockey. It's just silly.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
His one year in the dub was pretty bad. It wasn't just "not spectacular". He was not a good goalie in the WHL. Correct that you can't expect a 19 year old to be a world beater, but you should be able to expect a 18/19 year old with such high regard and talent and potential and etc. to at least be better than below average in a North American junior league. This wasn't like he was thrown to the AHL and got shellacked. He was thrown to the WHL and got shellacked.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Jon Prescription said:
His one year in the dub was pretty bad. It wasn't just "not spectacular". He was not a good goalie in the WHL. Correct that you can't expect a 19 year old to be a world beater, but you should be able to expect a 18/19 year old with such high regard and talent and potential and etc. to at least be better than below average in a North American junior league. This wasn't like he was thrown to the AHL and got shellacked. He was thrown to the WHL and got shellacked.

I don't consider allowing two and half goals a game shellacked at all, but that's a relative matter.

I'm curious as to how some people seem to think that the Giants were somehow one of the most talented teams in WHL last year as that can be the only reason why some people would blame Schwarz for his less than incredible stats.

Vancouver was one of the most penalised teams in the league last year while: a) their best player in Brule spent more than his fair share of time in box and b) the team PK was near the tops in the league while not exactly having the WHL's most defensively able team (nor the league's most offensively able either).

Schwarz started off the year horribly, this I will admit, but in December started showing his potential and how much closer he was to realising it. Add a 5-3-3 record in OT, and I'd say it's hard to deny that he's not getting a fair shake when it comes to talent evalutation and realised potential vs. draft bust labelling.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Pete Rock said:
I don't consider allowing two and half goals a game shellacked at all, but that's a relative matter.

I'm curious as to how some people seem to think that the Giants were somehow one of the most talented teams in WHL last year as that can be the only reason why some people would blame Schwarz for his less than incredible stats.

Vancouver was one of the most penalised teams in the league last year while: a) their best player in Brule spent more than his fair share of time in box and b) the team PK was near the tops in the league while not exactly having the WHL's most defensively able team (nor the league's most offensively able either).

Schwarz started off the year horribly, this I will admit, but in December started showing his potential and how much closer he was to realising it. Add a 5-3-3 record in OT, and I'd say it's hard to deny that he's not getting a fair shake when it comes to talent evalutation and realised potential vs. draft bust labelling.

oh stop it with all this logic and analysis of Schwarz' play, we all know he sucks, LOOK AT THE STATS!!! THE GIANTS WERE A GREAT TEAM LAST YEAR AND MAREK SCREWED THEM OVER!!11!!ONE!!1!!!ARGHHH

meltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad