Anyone have timeline for the team?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Wondering what steps are next and what we should be looking out for in the next year. Also side question do teams normally have open practices for the public?

It's funny you ask, I'm working on a timeline and a FAQ post right now.

For the short term, the first steps are getting staff in place and hiring a GM and Scouting Director. Foley has said he wants the GM in place by August 1st. After that, a lot of dominoes will start following all leading up to the puck dropping next October. Apparently, the Vegas organization has had "unofficial scouts" spread throughout the world for over a year, so they should start off on the right foot.

I'm not sure on open practices, I imagine they'll have a few to get the interest up. However, if they're at a place like the Las Vegas Ice Center for the first year or two while the practice facility is being constructed they may not have a ton of room for fans.

Of course, you could always go to Brooksies and get a drink when they happen to be practicing on the North Rink and watch them.:laugh:

calvegas04

Jun 23, 2016
Las Vegas
I'm not sure on open practices, I imagine they'll have a few to get the interest up. However, if they're at a place like the Las Vegas Ice Center for the first year or two while the practice facility is being constructed they may not have a ton of room for fans.

Of course, you could always go to Brooksies and get a drink when they happen to be practicing on the North Rink and watch them.:laugh:

Thought I read some where they already had the land up off the 215 and Far hills. And that it would take about a year to be built in time for the 17-18 season.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thought I read some where they already had the land up off the 215 and Far hills. And that it would take about a year to be built in time for the 17-18 season.

They had the land offered to them from what I've heard. I don't know if they legally own the land yet, or if they've worked with the City Council/County Commission (I'm not sure if 215/Far Hills is city or county) to get everything approved yet. Getting it done prior to the season seems like a stretch to me. Foley mentioned he was going to need some governmental help getting things rolling in his press conference Wednesday.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
has there been any news about the building of offices/practice facility?

We just know it's going to be on Pavilion Center in between Summerlin Centre Drive and Rosemary Park Drive, near where the new 51s stadium is supposed to be.

As of the expansion announcement it hadn't been approved by the county commission, but the team and Howard Hughes are super interested in getting it done ASAP. As soon as it's approved I'm sure they'll start moving dirt.

On another note, I hate how we haven't decided on a spelling for the word center in Summerlin. You drive into the Summerlin Centre neighborhood on Town Center Drive.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We just know it's going to be on Pavilion Center in between Summerlin Centre Drive and Rosemary Park Drive, near where the new 51s stadium is supposed to be.

As of the expansion announcement it hadn't been approved by the county commission, but the team and Howard Hughes are super interested in getting it done ASAP. As soon as it's approved I'm sure they'll start moving dirt.

On another note, I hate how we haven't decided on a spelling for the word center in Summerlin. You drive into the Summerlin Centre neighborhood on Town Center Drive.
Damn Canadian city planners confusing things :sarcasm:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I would expect the team to be fully functional at the conclusion of this regular season as far as transactions.

See also ESPN article I posted. McPhee talks about his priorities.

With the Hlinka (U18) tournament in about two weeks, they are pushing the scouting department, especially the amateur side. That's where most teams get their first look of the season for the draft hopefuls for next summer.

They'll have their pro scouts up and out during the season to be looking at their potential expansion draft picks, as well as trade targets, and pending UFAs.

I'm guessing the coach will be hired by first of June (now, if there's a really good coach fired mid-season, it might happen a lot earlier).

As for any signings of undrafted graduating collegians -- that usually doesn't start until March, but guessing they'll have everything in place by then (so they can compete with the other NHL teams). Might be able to start signing European players in April or so. (But the majority of signings won't happen until the free agent period begins in July.)

AFAIK, very few NHL teams regularly offer open-to-public practice sessions. Caps and Sharks are two of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad