Anyone have a truck for their family vehicle?

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
I have three kids aged 8, 7, 5 all still in car/booster seats and another kid on the way in March. Right now we have a Grand Caravan as our family vehicle and it's pretty handy. With the stow and go we have one seat tucked into the floor in the middle row which is good for extra cargo. Once #4 is here we will need to put that seat up and lose out on the cargo space. Leaving only the back hatch area which isn't a lot. Especially once you get a couple hockey bags in there.

I've always wanted a truck but they are pricey and I couldn't justify it but now I'm thinking it may be the way I have to go. With the huge back seats in the crew cabs nowadays and a bench seat up front we can fit all 6 of us in there. Plus there is obviously a lot cargo room in back (the main reason to go with a truck). Especially with a topper or tonneau on the back.

Has anyone else used a pickup truck for a large family of young kids? How did you find the experience of always having a kid up front in the middle? I know the seating arrangement won't be as good as in the van but overall I hope it's the right move.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
kids can't (legally) ride up front, so you're still talking about four kids in the back. i don't know if you can fit three boosters and a car seat in one row of any vehicle. Big ol' SUV is probably your best bet if you want to go "truck".

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I dont know about "cant" be on the front bench, but they definitely shouldnt be unless every other option is exhausted. How else would you transport a carseat on the bench in a standard pickup?

Have you thought about a large SUV with a split back bench? You could put 2/3 of the back down and give yourself that cargo room

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
SUV would be the way to go. Yeah "Can't" is the wrong word. If you do put them up there, you also have to...Or rather should turn off airbags that might hit them.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Had this same issue. We ended up going with a Yukon. Great suv on a truck frame. Ours seats 9 and has room for cargo. Can't go wrong.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I have three kids aged 8, 7, 5 all still in car/booster seats and another kid on the way in March. Right now we have a Grand Caravan as our family vehicle and it's pretty handy. it's the right move.

I'm surprised any guy who has spends time on HF Boards can have four young children too.
You're da man!!!!:yo:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Have a ford 17 f150 for our family our second one had a 13' fx4 previous. We have a 9month old, 12 and 9, plus a 90 pound dog fit comfortably in the back seat. if we head on longer trips we usually just flip the middle console up and one of the kids sits in the front. with the amount of winter driving we do for work and hockey I wouldn't have it any other way. plus its great to haul the boat or put the quad in the box for transport.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I would get a 7-8 seater SUV. Some come with the captain chairs in the second row which makes it easier IMO to reach the third row.
Ford is giving good rebates on the Expedition/EL right now.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
My good friend rocked a Silverado with kids similarly aged. I think his daughter was 8 when she started riding up front - she's tall though. Maybe that's dangerous. I'm not a dad and don't know shit about laws/guidelines.

I do know he sold the truck and bought a Suburban though. Didn't work well with car/booster seats.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I do know he sold the truck and bought a Suburban though. Didn't work well with car/booster seats.

Chevy and dodge quad cabs have ridiculously small/limited room for their back seats. Imo Ford has done it right and is the only reason I bought a fixed on the road daily (thankfully mine has been great so far lol). As above I can fit three kids and a big dog and still have room for a few travel bags in the back row.

Huff3r

Feb 14, 2018
Although you have a lot of options for pickup trucks, it may not be too spacious if you have 6 kids. You may look at SUV or family vans if you want to ensure comfort.

Anyway, I found this article
35K more Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series pickups put on 'do not drive' recall list

There is a recall for the truck parts of Ranger and B-Series. Ford issued a warning to 33,000 owners of 2006 Ford Ranger pickups in North America, as well as 1,800 owners of 2006 B-Series pickups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->