Anyone Getting Utterly Dis-interested With This Lockout?

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
This is completely backwards. The past couple weeks have been the only part of the entire thing that has been of any interest.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I had discussed having a fan walkout for opening night. Everyone pays to attend the opener with the intention of walking out and going home at the 10 minute mark of the first period. If it were to happen league wide I think it would send a pretty big message.

Seems to me that it would send a much bigger message to not pay to attend the game, and have it played in front of a completely empty arena. Not realistically ever going to happen of course, but could you imagine the statement it would make if these players played in front of no one at all?

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Seems to me that it would send a much bigger message to not pay to attend the game, and have it played in front of a completely empty arena. Not realistically ever going to happen of course, but could you imagine the statement it would make if these players played in front of no one at all?

You will never get that to happen because other people will show up anyways. I have a feeling they will be giving out a lot of free tickets to ensure sell outs in the first week or so. But if everyone walks out then they will have no choice but to deal with the statement.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You will never get that to happen because other people will show up anyways. I have a feeling they will be giving out a lot of free tickets to ensure sell outs in the first week or so. But if everyone walks out then they will have no choice but to deal with the statement.

IMO Canadian teams will see the fans flock back in fairly short order.

For those teams in less conventional hockey markets, the lockout may prove to be disastrous.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

A boycott only works if the fans in all 30 cities locked out the NH. Not just for one game but for a minimum or 20 - 30 games, possibly even for the whole shortened season (assuming one).

This is a message NHL sponsors would pay heed to, forcing the NHL owners to recognize the ongoing labour strife between the sides must cease and desist.

IMO such an action will never happen, and Bettman's lockout strategy is predicated on this fact. Bettman has already said the league has the greatest fans in pro sport, translated, doesn't matter what the league does, the fans will be back.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
The only significant fan backlash in terms of massive attendance drops after a work stoppage has happened in a single sports league, the MLB.

Guess what, THERE HASN'T BEEN A WORK STOPPAGE SINCE. The MLB and it's PA are terrified of fan backlash if they stop playing for another season, since it took years (and a power surge due to PED use) for the league to recover.

The NHL, unfortunately, isn't afraid of this happening, and thus the lockouts will continue.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
The only significant fan backlash in terms of massive attendance drops after a work stoppage has happened in a single sports league, the MLB.

Guess what, THERE HASN'T BEEN A WORK STOPPAGE SINCE. The MLB and it's PA are terrified of fan backlash if they stop playing for another season, since it took years (and a power surge due to PED use) for the league to recover.

The NHL, unfortunately, isn't afraid of this happening, and thus the lockouts will continue.

Even if the season were to be saved as soon as possible, I would be surprised if there isn't at least a slight drop in attendance for the rest of the season, if there is a season at all. There is a huge "casual" fan category out there that doesn't really pay attention to the nhl unless they are reminded that it exists, and this much time lost to lockouts in less than a decade makes the league look amateur. The NHL isn't really a top sports league in North America anymore, and a lot of people would rather pay most of their attention to something else.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Even if the season were to be saved as soon as possible, I would be surprised if there isn't at least a slight drop in attendance for the rest of the season, if there is a season at all. There is a huge "casual" fan category out there that doesn't really pay attention to the nhl unless they are reminded that it exists, and this much time lost to lockouts in less than a decade makes the league look amateur. The NHL isn't really a top sports league in North America anymore, and a lot of people would rather pay most of their attention to something else.

I would be surprised if this happened in Canada where fans are less concerned with how they are treated. Im pretty confident Gary could come out and say he dislikes Canada and that he hopes nobody from Canada ever watches a hockey game again and people would come back in droves. Sad because like many have said the only way this stops is if fans show their displeasure but similar to the owners some fans cannot help themselves!

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I'm not losing any interest and if the NHL takes 3 years to work out a deal I'll still be awaiting the puck drop. In the meantime I'm fine following Bingo.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Got a full refund for my season tickets, so now I don't need to worry about it.

The main issue with this lockout is it is very polarized. You either hate the players or the owners at this point. Personally I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to give the players 50% of my $ for a really long time after this one. Others probably feel the exact same way about giving 50% to the owners.

Either way this lockout is going to hurt the league big time.

Nah, i definitely blame this on fehr/players. I've noticed it's mostly(i said mostly so don't get mad at me) uneducated/fair weather fans that are siding against the NHL and blindly say "**** bettman" for no reason.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Same lockout, obviously differing perspectives.

Nah, i'm pretty sure you've been watching a different lockout.

-The NHL tried to reach the NHLPA 4 times. Count em, 4 times!!!! last year. The NHLPA kept saying no. POINT IN FAVOUR OF NHL.

-Bettman has been proffesional about this while fehr has been withholding information to the players. The players have been more unproffesional then i could imagine. 2 POINT IN FAVOUR OF NHL. in fact, looking at how immature the players have been in the media, 3 points in favour of nhl. The players have been disgraceful.

-The NHL's offers kept getting closer and closer to the middle, while the NHLPAs first 4 offers were basically the same recycled trash. POINT IN FAVOUR OF NHL.

-The nhl is fighting to keep the league viable. The long term health of the league is their main priority. The NHLPA is fighting to keep average salaries at 2.6 million instead of 2.2 million. The money the players make is their main priority. 1 POINT IN FAVOUR OF THE NHL.

-the NHL has all the leverage...they're only losing about 50-100 million in profit. The NHLPA is losing 1.8 billion in profit. 1 POINT IN FAVOUR OF NHL.

How can you know all the above(assuming your staying knowledgable through the whole process) then go on siding with the players and fehr? Doesn't make any sense.

Inform yourself!!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

You would just be hurting melnyk. Bad idea. Actually, terrible idea.

The players get paid everything.

Melnyk gets stuck paying the players without getting revenue...lockout time again.

Seriously though, think about it. Melnyk would be the only one hurting from that scenario. The only one. If you blame melnyk for this lockout, then go ahead...but i don't blame melnyk, therefore won't hurt melnyk. He's saved our team. I'd rather the players on the team( who will be out the door in the ever changing rotation of players) suffer then melnyk who's priority is not losing money while offering the fine people of ottawa hockey to watch.

I'd much rather boo the players then hurt melnyk financially after all hes done for the city. but hey, that's just me.

Last edited:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The fans should not attend any games if the lockout is resolved this season. Playing to empty barns will teach them. Seriously.

We all know we will happily jump back on the band wagon as soon as it starts up again, anybody who say's differently is fooling themselves!

And yes, thank god for the WJC's!!!!! Look forward to that one evey year, lockout or no lockout! :yo:

Jp20

Oct 13, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
:handclap: im regainning the love for the sport that my ancestors played

soccer has fulfilled my desire to follow and enjoy a sport :')

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
It was for the best.

tumblr_mau60rxVFF1r3bwow.gif

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I won't lie and say that when the NHL resumes I won't be glued to the TV to watch the Sens but I can say: 1) I will not spend a penny for tickets or in instances where I receive free tickets for any merchandise, food, drink from ScotiaBank place. 2) I have not missed the game - there's plenty of hockey to be watched and enjoyed elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->