Anyone ever bake their skates?

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
I just got a new pair of CMM892 Super Tacks and heard some people talk about "baking" thier skates.

Anyone here ever do this?

What is the benefit?

Can it hurt the skates?

How do you do it?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lukko4

May 15, 2002
Montreal, QC
I work at a Sports Store, and yes, it can be done.

The benefis are that it helps to form the skate a little bit quicker, to break it in without the wear. It can dammage the skate if you wear them within 24 hours of heating them, as the materials need time to set.

Personally, I think its a little useless, because if you are comfortable in your skates, heating them does absolutely nothing. If you aren't comfortable in your skate, then you should try some others on because no matter what, you should be comfortable in a skate before you buy it.

Best thing to do, if you really want to heat your skates, is try them out on the ice a a few times first, if you feel they may be a little too stiff still, then you can get them heated.

Just don't buy a skate that you don't feel comfortable in at all, and think that with heating them, you will be alright. Take your time, try different ones on, and don't just go with something because a player you like uses them, or because they look cool.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I just got a new pair of CMM892 Super Tacks and heard some people talk about "baking" thier skates.

Anyone here ever do this?

What is the benefit?

Can it hurt the skates?

How do you do it?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

To add to other great advice. Some models have to be baked (Bauer One90 for example). The 892 Tack isn't one of them. However if you just bought them and they are killing you or giving you blisters. Baking would be a good idea. Don't do it yourself. I've read stories of people putting their skates in their oven and ruining them.

Some people say it shortens the life of the skate. I don't really buy that. I've had skates baked and went on to use them for 5+ years.

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
Thanks for the advice guys! I just got my new skates in the mail yesterday and I bought them because my last 2 pairs were CCM 852 Super Tacks. I was just wondering if there was a way to break them in quickly since I have a game on Saturday.

I might try throwing them in the dryer for a few minutes (we have a removable shelf that you can sit the skates on so they get heated without being tossed around) to loosen them up before I play since I only live about 3 minutes from the rink.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Thanks for the advice guys! I just got my new skates in the mail yesterday and I bought them because my last 2 pairs were CCM 852 Super Tacks. I was just wondering if there was a way to break them in quickly since I have a game on Saturday.

I might try throwing them in the dryer for a few minutes (we have a removable shelf that you can sit the skates on so they get heated without being tossed around) to loosen them up before I play since I only live about 3 minutes from the rink.

I'd advise against that. For it to do any good you have to put them on right when they come out, while they are still warm. Put them on and lace them up snug, NOT tight. DO NOT stand or walk in them while they are hot. Sit and let them cool on your feet.

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
I'd advise against that. For it to do any good you have to put them on right when they come out, while they are still warm. Put them on and lace them up snug, NOT tight. DO NOT stand or walk in them while they are hot. Sit and let them cool on your feet.

So you're saying at that point I'm really just sort of molding them to my foot....right?

And ideas to loosen up new skates faster or do I just have to suffer until they naturally break in from playing?

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
So you're saying at that point I'm really just sort of molding them to my foot....right?

And ideas to loosen up new skates faster or do I just have to suffer until they naturally break in from playing?

The whole point of baking your skates is to mold them to your feet. But, it's not just heating them up. You have to put them on while they are still warm so the boot molds to your foot.

If you're sitting down watching TV, throw your skates on. If you do put them in the dryer, put them on as soon as they come out and leave them on laced up snug for about 20-30 minutes. Don't walk around in them during that time. You can damage the boot if you stress it while it's hot.

Just be careful. I'd hate to see you wreck your skates.

Melanson

Apr 29, 2004
The whole point of baking your skates is to mold them to your feet. But, it's not just heating them up. You have to put them on while they are still warm so the boot molds to your foot.

If you're sitting down watching TV, throw your skates on. If you do put them in the dryer, put them on as soon as they come out and leave them on laced up snug for about 20-30 minutes. Don't walk around in them during that time. You can damage the boot if you stress it while it's hot.

Just be careful. I'd hate to see you wreck your skates.

Thanks!

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Baking them will shorten the life of the skates. Unless they're unbearably uncomfortable I'd just break them in on the ice.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I got mine baked at the Pro Shop when I bought them.
THey were nice and toasty warm.
}:)>
Nohin' says lovin' like something from the oven!

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Baking them will shorten the life of the skates. Unless they're unbearably uncomfortable I'd just break them in on the ice.
I agree. I see a lot of people baking skates right when they get them. Skate in them first or a few times to see if they need to be baked.

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Heat Molding Your Skates at Home

When heat molding your skates, you must be extremely careful about a few things:Don't overheat the boot. Be sure that your oven temperature gauge is accurate and be sure to place the boots as far from the heating elements as possible. Be aware that you can discolor or burn the boot if the heating elements are too close or too hot.

Lace your skates very loosely before putting them in the oven.
Heat only 1 skate at a time.
Remove the wheels from Roller Hockey skates before heating.
When tightening the laces on a heated boot, be sure to pull ?out? and not ?up? against the eyelets.
Let the boots cool fully before standing up in them.
Don?t lean the back of your calf against the tendon guard of the boot while it is hot.

1) Preheat the oven to 185 degrees.

2) Place the first boot in and turn the oven off while the boots are in. The oven will still have enough heat to soften the boots, and this will keep the possibility of burning your skate to a minimum. Don?t forget - Be sure to lace the skates up very loosely before putting in the oven. Check your boots every 5-6 minutes to be sure that they are ok and becoming soft. At about the 10-12 minute mark, the boot should be sufficiently soft for molding.

3) Lace the boots up snugly, starting at the very bottom eyelet, and working your way to the top. When lacing a heated boot, pull the laces "out", not "up" against the eyelets. The object is to not stress the eyelets while the boot is warm.

4) Once the boots are laced, stay seated and let the boots cool. Keep your legs in front of you with the blade or chassis flat on the floor. Keep your calf vertical to the floor, and try not to flex the front, back or sides of the boot. Be sure the boots are totally cooled off before removing them from your feet. This normally takes 15-20 minutes. After boot has cooled, remove the boot and allow it to set for 24 hours before skating in them for optimal results.

Heat molding can be a blessing to your feet during the initial break in of a pair of skates. Done correctly, you can get a pretty good mold on the boot at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad