Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Flordia be coming at Toronto like
PreciousClearcutAbalone-size_restricted.gif

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I want a playoff sweat. And I smell one coming.

I think we'll keep losing and Florida and Columbus will keep winning.

Babcock will be faced with the possibility of an epic collapse and finally moves Hyman down the lineup. We start winning. Matthews comes back and we get a wildcard spot or maybe just pull back ahead of Florida right near the end. Then we go on to win the cup with our full roster and optimal line combos.

Anyways. I see the collapse unfolding... but I think we'll get our **** together before it's too late. Looking forward to the panic that will ensue in a week or two though. That should be fun.

Well if they get their shit together at the last minute, then there is no collapse. So I'm confused as to what you actually see unfolding.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know, I think people here have such short memories.

I still remember just a few years ago in the Phaneuf era when we were comfortably in the playoffs in March and went on an epic losing streak to miss the playoffs.

I have confidence that this team won't be like that, but at the same time I have to remain a bit cautious because of how badly we've been burned before.

This is not even close to the same team that did that. People need to give their head a shake.

Reactions: stickty111

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
You forgot to add that the Devil and Blue Jackets (9 & 10 points back with no games in hand) would also have to knock us out of the WC if the Panthers pulled off this miracle.
While I certainly think Florida can and will catch us... I don't think that 2 of the Devils, Blue Jackets, or Hurricanes can pass us... so our playoff spot is still locked up in my books. But to me, it's looking more like a wildcard spot. I think New Jersey misses and the Leafs and Bluejackets take the two wildcard spots. Which is fine... as long as we get a playoff series, I'm happy. Not really going to be any easy opponents in the first round anyways.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
While I certainly think Florida can and will catch us... I don't think that 2 of the Devils, Blue Jackets, or Hurricanes can pass us... so our playoff spot is still locked up in my books. But to me, it's looking more like a wildcard spot. I think New Jersey misses and the Leafs and Bluejackets take the two wildcard spots. Which is fine... as long as we get a playoff series, I'm happy. Not really going to be any easy opponents in the first round anyways.

No, I don't see it. Leafs will finish with at least 100 points. No chance Florida gets more than 100. To get 100 points, Florida has to win nearly every damn game they play. Not happening.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
damn lose a few games in a row after having like the most succesful month in franchise history and we get this thread..so many levels of sad lol
If the Panthers never win all those games they did I honestly don't think this question gets asked. The 4 game losing streak they are on is a coincidence that it happened at the same time.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Well if they get their **** together at the last minute, then there is no collapse. So I'm confused as to what you actually see unfolding.
I think we have a near collapse, but we pull things together near the end and make the playoffs.

It's still not really possible for both New Jersey and Columbus to pass us IMO... but I think Florida will pass us.

All depends on when Matthews comes back and what line combos Babcock goes with. But I could see us losing the next few games and having this playoff race getting a lot tighter over the next couple of weeks.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe we destroy the Penguins tomorrow and coast into the playoffs no problem. Obviously this is still a low probability event. But it's all slowly unfolding where we keep losing and the teams behind us keep winning.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
If the Panthers never win all those games they did I honestly don't think this question gets asked. The 4 game losing streak they are on is a coincidence that it happened at the same time.
ye, i mean in reality just looking at our losing streak we played one stinker vs washinton. we went into TB without matthews and we were one nylander post from winning in regulation. VS fla we were the better team, lou just stymied us, buffalo...well we all saw the goals they scored, we dominated that game IMO. i think people remember the pheneuf/kessel led teams and panic anytime theres a bit of a stumble. i for one am not worried at all.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I think we have a near collapse, but we pull things together near the end and make the playoffs.

It's still not really possible for both New Jersey and Columbus to pass us IMO... but I think Florida will pass us.

All depends on when Matthews comes back and what line combos Babcock goes with. But I could see us losing the next few games and having this playoff race getting a lot tighter over the next couple of weeks.

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Maybe we destroy the Penguins tomorrow and coast into the playoffs no problem. Obviously this is still a low probability event. But it's all slowly unfolding where we keep losing and the teams behind us keep winning.
lol the chances of florida passing us are minute :huh:
and "keep losing"? we are pointless in a whopping 2 games..i just dont see why people are so negative

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
ye, i mean in reality just looking at our losing streak we played one stinker vs washinton. we went into TB without matthews and we were one nylander post from winning in regulation. VS fla we were the better team, lou just stymied us, buffalo...well we all saw the goals they scored, we dominated that game IMO. i think people remember the pheneuf/kessel led teams and panic anytime theres a bit of a stumble. i for one am not worried at all.

I disagree about the Buffalo game. We did not look great at all.

Reactions: PuckMagi

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That night in Tampa let's remember Mitch Marner was stopped on a penalty shot in the 3rd period late in the game when it was tied.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
lol the chances of florida passing us are minute :huh:
and "keep losing"? we are pointless in a whopping 2 games..i just dont see why people are so negative

It's more that I see us playing poorly. Yes, we've lost 4 in a row... but this feels like the December Leafs rather than the February Leafs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
All of those Sabres goals were still lucky bounces, especially their 4th goal when Hainsey shot the puck around and it first goes off the refs skate and the 5th goal which could have been called for goalie interference.

There were too many defensive lapses that lead to those bad bounces. Should have been all over them in the first period.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I disagree about the Buffalo game. We did not look great at all.
"great" maybe not..but we should have won that game...if not for all the fluke bounces we would have won handily...we were the far more dangerous team that game. anyways the point is only this..yes we are on a 4 game losing streak but it really could be 3 - 1 the way we played those games(save the game vs washington. no more outdoor games in march plz)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
"great" maybe not..but we should have won that game...if not for all the fluke bounces we would have won handily...we were the far more dangerous team that game. anyways the point is only this..yes we are on a 4 game losing streak but it really could be 3 - 1 the way we played those games(save the game vs washington. no more outdoor games in march plz)

Then it would have masked the defensive deficiencies that this team still has. They need to iron these things out before the playoffs start or it will be a very quick exit.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I swear to God unless this team is insanely hot it's 18 wheeler's this and collapse that. We're the sixth best team in the league and we no longer have a big advantage in games played. Florida and Boston are the only two teams near us that have an extra three games to play.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I swear to God unless this team is insanely hot it's 18 wheeler's this and collapse that. We're the sixth best team in the league and we no longer have a big advantage in games played. Florida and Boston are the only two teams near us that have an extra three games to play.
and boston and fla play each other 4 times still...anyone that thinks the panthers are going to continue like this all year are more than likely dead wrong. we are a better team than them and the standings show it.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
its just such a leaf fan thing...every other team is bound to heat up and stay hot and we are bound to collapse. people have been waiting for the sky to fall all year lol

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
My lord what an apocalyptic post. Relax, this is a team working through some doldrums. Matthews will be back soon and the dynamic duo of he and Nylander will be terrorizing defences again. Besides, no way Florida continues this pace. They’ll be playing a lot of games from now to the end of the season. Luongo will fall apart from fatigue soon.
I don’t agree with your “apocalyptic” comment. I have read what I would term some very negative posts which seem to serve no purpose. However, I believe this site is meant for honest, realistic discussion about our beloved Leafs, and it is in that spirit that I posted.

My point is (and now that lead over Florida is 12 points with them having an easy homestand with the likes of the Rangers and the Senators, and that they have 3-4 games in hand with a red hot goalie)that this seems to be part of “Leaf DNA” to put it one way. Whether it’s last years almost miss the playoffs choke or the famous game 7 meltdown against Boston a few years ago.

Now I see it in the way they tightly hold onto their sticks in the Buffalo game, I see it in their “deer in the headlights” demeanour of late,(I.e. frozen in the defensive zone). I see it with their “looking upward helplessly as if the gods are against them” when things don’t go well. I see it in Anderson’s play of late.

We so badly need a win. Obviously Pittsburgh without Matthews won’t be easy, if it isn’t tomorrow night then it has to be Wednesday at home to Dallas. This negative momentum can really mushroom, I don’t buy all these “relax” comments, at least not until some wins come. Florida is like an oncoming freight train right now, as are the two wildcard teams. This has to be nipped in the bud.

I believe my post is reasonable and based upon several valid observations. And I hope my concerns are gone in a week or so.

Reactions: PuckMagi

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
There were too many defensive lapses that lead to those bad bounces. Should have been all over them in the first period.

Outshot them 14-6 Scoring chances were something like like 12-3 for us in the first.

Their first goal was on a suspect penalty call (especially considering they let almost everything go after that) and a deflection in front. Their next one was an insane high slot tip, not exactly the highest percentage play.

We got unlucky that game and those games happen.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The post Cap-era has fractured the psyche of some of the members of this fanbase. It probably doesn't help that we haven't played all week either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad