Anyone else think Kane upped his game?

Daddy Longlegs

Aug 6, 2012
I know we are only 3 games in here, but is it just me, or does Kane look noticeably better than last year? Like most players, he still has some cobwebs, but I REALLY like what I've seen from him thus far. He LOOKS like our best forward. Throwing his body more (or more effectively), setting guys up, using his speed. He hasn't been doing his same predictable "take the puck up the LW and try going end to end in a straight line" move. He showing more diversity in his game. And now that him and Wheeler have shown some chemistry together, that line may (hopefully) stay in tact. That can only boost Kane's point production.

Very excited about Kane!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Reading through all the other threads I clearly get the impression no one thinks he's played well.

:sarcasm:

...Probably has something to do with not showing up early to camp.

thed00d

Sep 29, 2010
Though I do beleive you have a point, I'm not sure if one pass, one time is enough to say he's a more dynamic player.

That said, I do beleive he has huge upside potential....and it will be exciting to watch him grow into an excellent hockey player.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So, you're saying that he's increasing his value in order to be traded for Duchene? :sarcasm:

He's looked very good the past two games, in seriousness. Probably one of our best forwards.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Though I do beleive you have a point, I'm not sure if one pass, one time is enough to say he's a more dynamic player.

That said, I do beleive he has huge upside potential....and it will be exciting to watch him grow into an excellent hockey player.

It hasn't been just one pass though.

He has shown more versatility in his zone entries, he sprung Welly for a break with a beauty and set up Olli in the slot with an amazing chance that resulted in a save.

Still not enough to call it a trend, but he looks sharp.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't see it. He has always been deadly off the rush, it's his bread and butter.

But once the play gets set up in the offensive zone, particularly the PP, he is completely lost and makes bad play after bad play. His PP goal was a pass he should never have forced. He forces those passes constantly and 9/10 it results in a break out for the other team. Not smart in the offensive zone, not good defensively still.

He needs to be smarter with the puck still if he wants to be an elite player.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
I think if there's one Jet who won't disappoint it's Kane. He is going to continue to be a beast for us. Great to see him constantly talking with Jokinen, especially if he is actively seeking advice or strategizing, keep building the hockey IQ. He's really confident and wants to be the man for this team, it's going to be an awesome ride!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
He was already my favorite player, so I might be a bit biased, but I love his attitude this year.

Everything from defending the "money phone" picture to his swagger when he was introduced before the home opener to how he's using his teammates more.

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011
It hasn't been just one pass though.

He has shown more versatility in his zone entries, he sprung Welly for a break with a beauty and set up Olli in the slot with an amazing chance that resulted in a save.

Still not enough to call it a trend, but he looks sharp.

His goal was a pass to Jokinen that just redirected off a skate and in.

He's coming together playing with Jokinen/Wheeler but he needs to stop his no look passes immediately.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Reading through all the other threads I clearly get the impression no one thinks he's played well.

:sarcasm:

...Probably has something to do with not showing up early to camp.

Yeah, where are all those idiots, sheesh!:D

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is he using his linemates more or does he just have better linemates...

Burmi-Wellwood/Antro
vs
Jokinen-Wheeler
... Hmmmm

I do think Kane is improving but just like I predicted him to as a hockey player would, should and normally does.

As Holden pointed out he still has weaknesses (as all players do) but he has been improving them IMHO...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
He seems like he got physically stronger. The boxing stuff he does to train might have improved his balance as well. Either way he is ridiculous on the rush. He's only getting better...

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
Not sure if he has matured yet but he seems to carry more swag/attitude and I personally find it super amusing. The kid is confident. His home opener entrance was hilarious.

StaticPrevails

Oct 6, 2011
Edmonton
Perhaps some of this new Evander could be attributable to Jokinen? Seems like Olli's attitude has rubbed off on him, they are meshing pretty good so far.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't see it. He has always been deadly off the rush, it's his bread and butter.

But once the play gets set up in the offensive zone, particularly the PP, he is completely lost and makes bad play after bad play. His PP goal was a pass he should never have forced. He forces those passes constantly and 9/10 it results in a break out for the other team. Not smart in the offensive zone, not good defensively still.

He needs to be smarter with the puck still if he wants to be an elite player.

rodney-dangerfield.jpg

It's true though, similar to Burmistrov he needs to improve the decision making portion of his game when in the offensive zone.

jetkarma*

I know we are only 3 games in here, but is it just me, or does Kane look noticeably better than last year? Like most players, he still has some cobwebs, but I REALLY like what I've seen from him thus far. He LOOKS like our best forward. Throwing his body more (or more effectively), setting guys up, using his speed. He hasn't been doing his same predictable "take the puck up the LW and try going end to end in a straight line" move. He showing more diversity in his game. And now that him and Wheeler have shown some chemistry together, that line may (hopefully) stay in tact. That can only boost Kane's point production.

Very excited about Kane!

He doesn't just LOOK like he is our best forward , he is . The best part is the best parts are yet to come.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He has exceeded my expectations early in the season.

Perhaps garret it correct and it is just the improved line mates but he appears more willing to pass this year and that is a big first step. I don't see progression on the PP yet and I think if they want him out there they need to define his roll and position on the ice clearly and simplify it for him. as stated the no look passes need to go. I liked his cycle work with Jokinen And Wheels last game and I love his compete level especially post $30 million plus payday. His energy level and will to win are excellant and I am expecting improvement in his play without the puck this year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad