Anyone else Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycle_it

May 1, 2004
florida
i'm not a ref

... but i'd like to know if it hurts your feelings when the crowd boos you?
and if your feelings aren't hurt... what do you think of it?

BCCHL inactive

cycle_it said:

God no. Getting booed is just part of the job. I could really care less if I get booed or not. I know I am trained to do my job, and the crowd is not.

cycle_it

May 1, 2004
florida
Van said:
God no. Getting booed is just part of the job. I could really care less if I get booed or not. I know I am trained to do my job, and the crowd is not.

fair enough..
but what about when you make a bad call? ..it does happen de temps en temps.
no remorse or what?
i'm not trying to be an ass...i would really like to know.

BCCHL inactive

cycle_it said:
fair enough..
but what about when you make a bad call? ..it does happen de temps en temps.
no remorse or what?
i'm not trying to be an ass...i would really like to know.

I take the, "my bad. sorry guys, I'll try not to let it happen again.", and life (or the game) goes on.

Best thing you can do after that is hope the players and coaches respect that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
cycle_it said:

When they boo I start ejecting fans left and right.......lol no im jking. When i first started it was annoying...but ive learned to completley tune out anything that is outside the rink including coaches.

The Major

Feb 13, 2003
edm.ab.ca
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
When they boo I start ejecting fans left and right.......lol no im jking. When i first started it was annoying...but ive learned to completley tune out anything that is outside the rink including coaches.

Agreed. All I hear is white noise, I dont really pay attention to the words.

Oh, by the way, I am a Level II w/ Hockey Canada, this is my 8th season wearing the stripes.

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Van said:
http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/hockey_boxScores.cfm?clientID=1413&leagueID=2393&gameID=156898

If you want to seriously get into officiating, be prepared for games like this. :eek:

Why is there only one guy in the second period who got 5 for fighting, I doubt he started to punch in the air. When someone fights it's with someone, if not then aren't you supposed to give 5 minutes for ''coup de poing'' instead. Don't know the proper term in english, but it means hitting with your fist

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
Oh I forgot, I started refing when I was 14, did so for 4 years stopped for 2, now first winter back and i'm 20. I got my level 2 obviously, but next yeal i'll get my 3. I've already did many Bantam and Midget CC-BB as a linesman but i'll need my level 3 to be referee. That's pretty much the best hockey i've done.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
jacklours said:
Why is there only one guy in the second period who got 5 for fighting, I doubt he started to punch in the air. When someone fights it's with someone, if not then aren't you supposed to give 5 minutes for ''coup de poing'' instead. Don't know the proper term in english, but it means hitting with your fist

Maybe one guy starting punching another and the other guy didnt fight back and took the punches.

BCCHL inactive

jacklours said:
Then it doesn't count as a fight. Since there was none

Rule 59(a) in the Hockey Canada rulebook states the following...

"A Major penalty and a Game Misconduct penalty shall be assessed any player who fights."

Nowhere in the 5 points of this rule, does it say that there must be two willing combatants in order for a Fighting penalty to be assessed. In fact, point 3 says this...

"Any player who does not retaliate after being struck will not be assessed a penalty under this section, but may be assessed a penalty for a violation of other rules."

As for my situation, it happened exactly as was assumed above. One player decided he wanted to fight, so he dropped his gloves and started punching the other player, who did not want any part of it.

jacklours said:

Rule 59(f), Note 2 says this...

"The Major penalty for roughing is not to be confused with and utilized in lieu of the Major Penalty and a Game Misconduct for fighting."

There is a such thing as a one-man fight. If you're officiating in Canada, whoever told you that there needs to be two willing combatants to have a fight is dead wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
jacklours said:
Then it doesn't count as a fight. Since there was none

The penalty doesnt read: "A major for a fight" it reads "A major for fighting". One player can do the fighting while the other does not.

Also what Van said. ;)

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
cycle_it said:
Ironically, the times that the crowd has gotten the most pissed at me was when I was most certain I was right, and I was in perfect position. (I'm reffering to a no-goal call here)

It was like being booed and yelled at for getting an A+ on a test. I knew I was right, and I didn't really care what the crowd thought.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
I have a question for the Hockey Canada refs here:

I'm interested in becoming a ref. I know the level system that is in place, but I was wondering first off, where / when / how can I get the level 1 certification?

Also how long would it take to get from level 1 to level 2? Would I have to be reffing 7 year old games for a year or so?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

BCCHL inactive

2112 said:
I have a question for the Hockey Canada refs here:

I'm interested in becoming a ref. I know the level system that is in place, but I was wondering first off, where / when / how can I get the level 1 certification?

Also how long would it take to get from level 1 to level 2? Would I have to be reffing 7 year old games for a year or so?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

There are really no set rules for levels as far as age goes. I remember back when I started, every new official, regardless of age, wrote a Level I exam. Now it seems that at least here in BC, they have moved away from that. Anybody 16 or over is writing Level II, regardless of experience. A lot of us "senior" officials don't think it's a good idea, but that's another topic.

If you're young (in the 13-16 range), you will start out in the novice/atom divisions for a while. If you're older than that, you will probably start out doing peewee games for the most part. (Remember, I am basing this on how we do things here in Prince George.) The novice and atom games are usually reserved for the youngest referees.

The general guideline for levels in Canada based on age (again, at least here in BC), is that if you've over 16, you are going to write a Level II exam. To get Level III, you need your local RIC's recommendation, and Level IV and up are where you need to be at an elite level to even get consideration provincially.

To get your certification, contact your local minor hockey association. They will put you in contact with the local referee-in-chief. He will give you more information on clinic dates in your area. The next clinics, however, will not be until this coming fall.

BCCHL inactive

Habsfan 32 said:
I tryed refing for a tournament and I realy hated it but I'll give it another try next year.

Why did you hate it? Any reason in particular?

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
Van said:
There are really no set rules for levels as far as age goes. I remember back when I started, every new official, regardless of age, wrote a Level I exam. Now it seems that at least here in BC, they have moved away from that. Anybody 16 or over is writing Level II, regardless of experience. A lot of us "senior" officials don't think it's a good idea, but that's another topic.

If you're young (in the 13-16 range), you will start out in the novice/atom divisions for a while. If you're older than that, you will probably start out doing peewee games for the most part. (Remember, I am basing this on how we do things here in Prince George.) The novice and atom games are usually reserved for the youngest referees.

The general guideline for levels in Canada based on age (again, at least here in BC), is that if you've over 16, you are going to write a Level II exam. To get Level III, you need your local RIC's recommendation, and Level IV and up are where you need to be at an elite level to even get consideration provincially.

To get your certification, contact your local minor hockey association. They will put you in contact with the local referee-in-chief. He will give you more information on clinic dates in your area. The next clinics, however, will not be until this coming fall.

Thanks. I'm 18, so the age thing isn't really a problem. I've played hockey since I was 4...so if I study I should be able to pass the Level II test....and I don't care if I piss off the older refs :p: .

I'll ask around for a clinic in the fall..thanks for the info!

BCCHL inactive

2112 said:
Thanks. I'm 18, so the age thing isn't really a problem. I've played hockey since I was 4...so if I study I should be able to pass the Level II test....and I don't care if I piss off the older refs :p: .

By saying, "senior official", I don't mean by age, but by experience. I'm only 20, but I have 8 years under my belt, which makes me the senior guy over anybody with less experience, regardless of age.

The reason most of us don't think first-year officials should be able to write a Level II (speaking for myself mostly), is because it causes potential assigning problems. We have a few guys around 20-23 years old who are first-year officials, but assignors don't get that information. They get age and level. For so many years, seeing that an official is in his late teens or early 20s with a Level II meant that he is capable of at least a decent level of hockey. Unfortunately earlier this season, there were a couple rookies of that age with Level II certification who were assigned to Midget house, and probably weren't capable of being on the ice for a peewee house game.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
i'm thinking i might like to start reffing some kids games next season, just really little kids like 6, 7, 8, years old so that there's not alot of presure. What kind of cerification is required for that?
First I'm gonna look into being an assistant coach on some such team though.

And that BCHL game, the one team scored 8 goals in 7 minutes... *keanu reeves type "whoah"*.

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
Do you enjoy reffing in some rinks more than others?

If you did not take the team, coaches and fans into consideration do you enjoy reffing in some rinks more than others?

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
Some Rinks are better

The reason I ask is that as a fan I know I enjoy going to some rinks and then there are others that are just ice and a necessary pain to go to. The look, or acoustics or the flow when you enter and walk around all impact on how I view the entire experience. The Centrium in Red Deer for example is attractive from the outside and parking is decent but when you walk around the concession lineups block traffic, people clog up etc. Feel like I'm at the Chinese night market in Richmond and have to use elbows to get thru.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I was recently at a high school game in Rhode Island which saw one kid receive five, count 'em, five penalties for either roughing, elbowing, high sticking, or unsportsmanlike conduct (mixed bag).

The opposing fans were silent as this kid was running around attacking players while the other teams fans (and players, and coaches) were furious. One fan yelled to the officials, "you're missing a good game and somebody is going to get killed" which led to the ref turning and laughing.

Needless to say the opposing team lost and the following day it was reported the student was suspended from school for 10-days (maximum in RI) for his conduct and the two referees have been suspended for the remainder of the playoffs.

No reason that junk should've went on but sadly, it did. A bad call, ok, it happens. But to allow this kid to remain in the game? Ah yes, to add... one concussion (mild) and one player with breathing problems after taking an elbow to the throat (didn't return to game but was fine after).

BCCHL inactive

Schlep Rock said:
I was recently at a high school game in Rhode Island which saw one kid receive five, count 'em, five penalties for either roughing, elbowing, high sticking, or unsportsmanlike conduct (mixed bag).

The opposing fans were silent as this kid was running around attacking players while the other teams fans (and players, and coaches) were furious. One fan yelled to the officials, "you're missing a good game and somebody is going to get killed" which led to the ref turning and laughing.

Needless to say the opposing team lost and the following day it was reported the student was suspended from school for 10-days (maximum in RI) for his conduct and the two referees have been suspended for the remainder of the playoffs.

No reason that junk should've went on but sadly, it did. A bad call, ok, it happens. But to allow this kid to remain in the game? Ah yes, to add... one concussion (mild) and one player with breathing problems after taking an elbow to the throat (didn't return to game but was fine after).

The player had penalties assessed to him. I don't see why the referees got suspended (why in the hell would that be released to the media anyway?). They called the penalties, did they not? Hell, suspending the player from school for what happens during a game is asinine in itself.

If some fan yelled something like that at me, I'd probably laugh too.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Schlep Rock said:

Why would the refs get suspended?? :dunno: You said they made the calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad