Anyone else Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I'm a level two official in Canada.

I mostly referee house league stuff... atom through bantam, although I sometimes do novice or the lines in a midget game.

My personal best is 42 penalty minutes in a game:
- 2 + a GM (10) for checking from behind.
- A GM (10) for dropping the f-bomb on me (after I'd allready given the genious 10 for swearing at me) :shakehead
- 10 more minor penalties... some of them of the "You get 4 and you get 2" Roughing after the whistle variety. :)

BCCHL inactive

Hockey Canada
Level III
8th year wearing stripes; 20 years of age
Ref up to Midget AAA
Line up to Jr.A (BCHL)

I'm not sure of my exact record for PIMs in a game, but I have had a few over the years where a second game sheet was required.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i ref ice and roller in colorado - level 2. you get 25 a game at an unsanctioned rink - anywhere from 30 - 40 for a usa rink (but you have to pay the scheduler). thats for ice. roller varies from anywhere from 10 - 20 per game. i make 20 for the high school games and advanced leagues, i get about 17 for tournament games ( i ref a travel tournament series), but there are so many in a weekend you can make 400-500 a weekend. overall, ive been reffing for about 10 years.
i do all age groups and levels in roller - but since im only a level 2 (shoulda got my certification years ago - didnt really need it - but now that i do ice more often the number holds me back even though im more experienced than a lot of three's i know) i cant get much work other than adult and youth rec right now. hopefully i can move up once im a three.
ive thrown out a lot of people in tourney roller games - it gets pretty heated. ive been part of a few games id guess were over 100 total - which is a lot for a roller game. any majors are automatic game misconducts so you dont get to run up the minutes on one guy who takes more than one major. ive also had to call roller games off before they ended because they were just all out brawls. ice hasnt been nearly as bad for me.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Level 3 Referee...3rd Year...already doing High School Varsity games and AAA Midget and Adult Leagues (and everything below: Mite((AKA Atom in Canada)-Bantam).

Im a referee in Westchester, NY and the pay is incredible.

Mite/Atom - $30 US
Squirt- 35
Peewee- 42
Bantam- 48
Midget - 55
Adult - 65
Modified (Middle/Junior High school league) -70
JV (9th-10th Graders League) - 78
Varsity - 85

I get about 5-7 games a week from Sept-June (With Fall leagues and Spring Leagues) So im rake in QUITE a bit of money while going to college. Ill be reffing at the Empire State Games this summer where the best of the best teams around NY compete but i have no idea the pay for that. Those games will use a 3-man system everything else is 2 man system.

Most PIM in a game i cant remember but ive sent 4 kids off for Match penalties in one period just last week.

Im 19 and I am pissed i didnt get into reffing sooner..i LOVE it...its a LOT of fun.

BTW to any other NY Refs.....How NICE was it that they got rid of that horrible rule to add a Misconduct to the High Sticking penalty last year? 12 minutes for a high sticking call was absurd. Thankfully that was a one year thing. :)

Last edited:

BCCHL inactive

FLYLine4LIFE said:

Mite/Atom - $30 US
Squirt- 35
Peewee- 42
Bantam- 48
Midget - 55
Adult - 65
Varsity - 85

My god. (The following is all Canadian Dollars)

BCHL: Referees get $80. Linesmen get $40. (Mileage is payed when applicable, but to only one official, and it goes to the farthest travelling official if there are two or three guys on the road.)

BCAHA Major Midget pays $60 for referees and $35 for linesmen.

Here is what we get in Prince George Minor Hockey...

Midget Rep
Ref: $25
Line: $18
2 Man: $30.50 each.

Bantam Rep / Midget House
Ref: $22
Line: $15
2 Man: $26 each.

Peewee Rep
Ref: $18
Line: $13
2 Man: $22 each.

Bantam House
Ref: $16
Line: $12
2 Man: $20 each:

Peewee House
Ref: $14
Line: $10
2 Man: $17 each.

Atom
Ref: $12
Line: $9
2 Man: $15 each.

Novice
Ref: $10
Line: $8
2 Man: $13 each.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I've just started lining for intra-murals at my university. I'm probably gonna get my level one and two within the next year or so and start actually reffing real games.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Well, Yesterdays game hit an all time record penalties me and my partner ended up calling.....35. It was a Bantam A game.....game started off fine...only 4 penalties were called in the 1st period..by 2nd half of the 2nd period the players were taking a lot of lazy or stupid penalites...interference and holding was a popular call. Between the 2nd and 3rd period the coach on one team kindly asked me over...I went to him he had some questions...my partner came over as well and we explained what he wanted to know..then out of nowhere..and i mean nowhere he saids "You Guys are calling a ****ing horrible game".....Unsportsmanlike Minor i give him...then he continues to curse at us saying that our organazation is ****ing crap.....we eject him....storms off the ice then leaves the door open as he gets off the rink (is he 10 or something?). 3rd period starts about 1 minutes into the period a I would say a 4"11 kid skating backwords and ducking pretty much as low as he can goes crashing into the puck carriers knees head on (ok butt on) and the kid flyes into the air and sustains an injury....Match Penalty which means ejection as well for that kid....fans start to yell stuff (I guess they though it was a legal hipcheck...:rolleyes: ). We TRY to let the kids play the game and do not call anything for a minute but the second we did that they tried to take advantage of that and they were commiting penalties every 30 seconds...so in order of not to loose control of the game we started calling everything....the kids just wouldnt understand that they were going to get called for everything they did and continued for the rest of the 3rd to take penalty after penalty. So luckily we didnt loose control of the game and it didnt turn into a brawl but..the cost was 35 total penalties called (dont forget there was a few bench minors, unsportmanlikes etc added onto original penalties). One team ended up with 19 calls so the coach will be suspended next game.

BCCHL inactive

FLYLine4LIFE said:
We TRY to let the kids play the game and do not call anything for a minute but the second we did that they tried to take advantage of that and they were commiting penalties every 30 seconds...so in order of not to loose control of the game we started calling everything....the kids just wouldnt understand that they were going to get called for everything they did and continued for the rest of the 3rd to take penalty after penalty.

I love this mentality. We let them play and we're losing control of the game, but when we call a lot of penalties, we're not letting them play.

I would say 1 player/coach for every 100 understands the concept of "feel for the game" and "game management".

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Level 3 Referee...3rd Year...already doing High School Varsity games and AAA Midget and Adult Leagues (and everything below: Mite((AKA Atom in Canada)-Bantam).

Mite/Atom - $30 US
Squirt- 35
Peewee- 42
Bantam- 48
Midget - 55
Adult - 65
Varsity - 85

I get about 5-7 games a week from Sept-June (With Fall leagues and Spring Leagues) So im rake in QUITE a bit of money while going to college. Ill be reffing at the Empire State Games this summer where the best of the best teams around NY compete but i have no idea the pay for that. Those games will use a 3-man system everything else is 2 man system.

Most PIM in a game i cant remember but ive sent 4 kids off for Match penalties in one period just last week.

Im 19 and I am pissed i didnt get into reffing sooner..i LOVE it...its a LOT of fun.

BTW to any other NY Refs.....How NICE was it that they got rid of that horrible rule to add a Misconduct to the High Sticking penalty last year? 12 minutes for a high sticking call was absurd. Thankfully that was a one year thing. :)

Wow, the pay is incredible down there. It is about half that in Calgary. A guy could make a living off of reffing that hockey.

BCCHL inactive

Big Deaner said:
Wow, the pay is incredible down there. It is about half that in Calgary. A guy could make a living off of reffing that hockey.

The pay is horrible in all Hockey Canada sanctioned leagues.

I remember when the 2001 Air Canada Cup was here in PG. The referee got $15 and the linesmen got $7.50 each ....and of course all expenses paid if they had to travel. Still though...to take a week off work and that's all you get for a game fee? It's not worth it. I know at that level, we're not supposed to be in it for the money, but the same people who tell us that don't think about how we do make money, and if you reject such an offer as the National Midget Championship, it could ruin your potential career. The only officials who don't have full time jobs are the underage kids living at home, and no 16 year-old official is going to get an invitation to work a national championship.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
It's my third season as a referee. I mostly ref 11-16 year-olders and I get paid about 20 euros per game.
Don't remember my record PIM, but I'd say it's somewhere close to 40.

BCCHL inactive

Douggy said:
Cripes. Do you have any trouble breaking up those fights?? IIRC, you're junior aged yourself.

Eitherway, good to see you're beyond your health problems and back doing what you love!

There were only 3 fights, so it was fun in that aspect. After all, linesmen do have the best seat in the house. :)

Unfortunately, a certain league has prioritized officials being able to run a fast 2 miles over actually being capable of working the games, so I was told in a polite way that I'm too fat for this hockey and to come back next year in better shape. :mad:

(lone)Yashinfan#79

the verbal abuse, the threats...it's all there for me

it's peculiar, the ice league in which i am paid to ref 4 gms a night, players are relatively well behaved
(adult men's Platinum A and Gold A, B)

conversely, the ball league i play in (adult rec league where the refs are volunteer) has more tantrums, bickering and b.s. in one weekend than the entire ice league's SEASON...

only certification i have is USA hockey and that has to be renewed each year..

(lone)Yashinfan#79

so why do it?

aside from supplemental income, reffing is also good because it keeps you in shape...

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Van said:
There were only 3 fights, so it was fun in that aspect. After all, linesmen do have the best seat in the house. :)

Unfortunately, a certain league has prioritized officials being able to run a fast 2 miles over actually being capable of working the games, so I was told in a polite way that I'm too fat for this hockey and to come back next year in better shape. :mad:
just curious how fast is a fast 2 miles

BCCHL inactive

Keetz said:
just curious how fast is a fast 2 miles

They want referees to do it in 14 minutes and linesmen to do it in 16 minutes. I am unfortunately hammered by genetics. Both my parents are large people, and that isn't exactly a benefit when it comes to doing something that requires top physical fitness.

I'm not saying I shouldn't have to be in great shape. I was upset because other officials in my area were kept on the schedule just because they had better fitness test marks than I did. All my game evaluations say that I am capable of handling games in this league. If it were late-season or playoffs, I could handle being cut for fitness...but you gotta get rid of the guys who aren't capable before anybody else.

Another thing that I don't like, is that all elite leagues want officials to be in just as good of physical shape as the players (which is great. I agree with that)...but they don't offer any kind of help, such as helping pay for a gym membership (they aren't cheap), nutritional handouts, etc. Players have everything handed to them by their teams, but the officials are expected to do it all on their own.

I've said this to my supervisors, but it has always fallen on deaf ears, so all I can do now is save a couple paycheques and spend $400 for a year at the YMCA and maybe even more money (that I don't necessarily have) on personal training sessions.. even just so I can get some education on stuff like calorie counting, what to eat, what to avoid, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad