Anyome use Tron gear?

BrobReborn

Oct 14, 2015
So there is a brand a rink near me has been selling for a few years, and I'm curious to know what the deal is. They claim to make high end sticks (and other gear) for cheap because they cut a lot of unnecessary costs in production, graphics, advertising, etc.

I'm tempted to buy one of their sticks, anyone ever use this company before who can shed some light?

EDIT: Apparently they are not a very good company from what I've read on this site and some others. Mainly those reviews were of sticks, anyone know about their other gear?

Last edited:

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
General consensus it to avoid Tron. However, I personally have no experience with their sticks, or protective equipment.

I have however-

Played on teams where Tron has done our jerseys, and our socks have been Tron. I really don't have any complaints about either. The jerseys are light weight, and with name and number on back were about 1/3 the price of our Reebok Edge jerseys. They've seem to have held up pretty well. I also prefer the Tron socks over most any retail sock I have tried in the past few years.

I have bought 2 pairs of Tron warm up pants for like 5.00 a piece, and they have held up well too. Fit good, and seem durable.

I play with one guy regularly whom I believe still uses Tron shoulders and shins and has no complaints. I believe he had Tron gloves, but swapped them out for some pro stock Bauer's.

I play with another guy who has one of Trons "high end" sticks. the one that is painted like a knockoff CCM RBZ Superfast. He never uses it in games though. That might say something, because his game stick is a pretty cheap Graf model.

All in all, I would search out clearance gear and sticks from the companies we all know, and are tried and true. You can still save money, and get a product that you know exactly what it is.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
I would say skip on Tron. Awhile back they had skates on sale for 30 bucks. I bought a pair for outside use so I didn't have to worry about ruining my good skates out door. They were all around very poor quality. At first I thought it was me just being picky but my teammate got the same skates, had the same issues as I. I do know a guy that has one of their high end sticks and it's very light and he likes it. But that's the only time I've ever heard a good review about them.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Tron makes a quality visor. I have one somewhere that I used to ref with occasionally but our league has a deal with Oakley now so we wear those.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Echo the same about the visor. It was $27 shipped and I'm entering my third season using it. No scratches yet and I've taken my fair share of sticks and pucks off it.

roffleburger

Dec 21, 2011
I've had my fair share of experiences with Tron, here are my thoughts:

1. Visors

These are top-notch and it's the first thing I would recommend if anyone is looking for a visor (again, not for everyone) and doesn't want to spend $70 or more. The quality is the same as the Bauers, and there are a variety of cuts. They are just as durable as the more expensive mainstream ones.

2. Hockey bags

I only experienced it with my one (and only) bag, but it was absolute garbage. The zipper ripped about a month in and the stitches were coming out. I would not recommend it, so you're better off getting a bag off a clearance rack or ponying up for a more expensive and durable one.

3. Protective equipment

I still use the elbow and shin pads (both Tron Elite Pro) and they are fine, although I finally cracked my right knee cap (on the pads, not my actual knee lol) after taking a beating from blocking shots. They are definitely worth it at their price point.

Other than that, I haven't tried their sticks and probably won't. I usually buy twigs at clearance racks or end of year sales, and all of my other equipment I get from the local mom and pop hockey shop. I haven't had any sour experiences with Hockey Tron (and I'm in Canada) but as I'm sure you've read, many other people have, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day, some of their stuff is worth buying if you're looking to save some cash, but a lot of their stuff isn't.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Tron is what it is. I think most of their problems have stemmed from buyer expectations rather than the actual quality of their product. Regardless of what they compare their products to, when you buy something at a budget price point, you get a budget product. In short, you get what you pay for.

I have tried their visors, bought one of their sticks, and I still buy tape in bulk from them. I have no complaints.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Tron goalie gear is kind of a joke. I know of one guy, who's pretty good actually, who uses it and likes it, but most I know wouldn't think of hitting the ice with it.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
My experiences:

Shoulder pads: Bought them when I was just starting out and just wanted the necessary gear to play beer league. I can't remember what the name of them was, but it was the flimsiest piece of **** I've ever used. I might as well have been wearing a bed sheet under my jersey it was that useless.

Wheels: I bought the Tron Tera Hrz indoor wheels on clearance for like 2 dollars a piece. They say they're 74A, they feel more like 76A, but they are all around pretty solid. The barrings that come with them are next to useless, but the wheels themselves hold up pretty well.

Socks: No complaints. Very comfortable and super cheap. I do not buy socks anywhere else.

Visors: It's seriously the best visor I've ever used. It is on par with Oakley IMO. Unbelievable quality for the price point.

Overall: Kind of a mixed bag. As others have said, for the most part you get what you pay for.

RefinedRobot

Sep 9, 2015
I'm currently using a pair of Tron leather hockey gloves because finding leather gloves nowadays is hard. They do just fine, especially for the $30 they cost when they were on sale... but uh, I'm only using them until my leather Eagles arrive in the mail.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Anymore feedback on their wheels? I'm getting back into roller hockey and don't want to spend a ton on wheels playing beer league once a week.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I would say skip on Tron. Awhile back they had skates on sale for 30 bucks. I bought a pair for outside use so I didn't have to worry about ruining my good skates out door. They were all around very poor quality. At first I thought it was me just being picky but my teammate got the same skates, had the same issues as I. I do know a guy that has one of their high end sticks and it's very light and he likes it. But that's the only time I've ever heard a good review about them.

I know this post is three years old but any time you spend 30$ on skates, you should basically be expecting them to fall apart the first five times you wear them.

Anything under 200 for skates is low quality so to spend 30 and expect anything else is your own fault.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As has been said before, it is what it is.

I would never buy a set of skates from there. That is the one time you want to get something reliable, otherwise you are going to feel miserable every time you use them. At least with shin pads such the contact is much less often the older you get, which makes it less ideal to get the top stuff.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think what people were saying about Tron 3 years ago still applies today. The visors are great for the price, everything else I'd be weary.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
I know this post is three years old but any time you spend 30$ on skates, you should basically be expecting them to fall apart the first five times you wear them.

Anything under 200 for skates is low quality so to spend 30 and expect anything else is your own fault.
........ ohhhhhhhh that’s crazy. I was really expecting high end skates for $30. Thanks for letting me know tho. I can see where I’ve been going wrong all these years not spending over $200 on skates.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
........ ohhhhhhhh that’s crazy. I was really expecting high end skates for $30. Thanks for letting me know tho. I can see where I’ve been going wrong all these years not spending over $200 on skates.
What were you expecting for 30 bucks?

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
What were you expecting for 30 bucks?
Lol I wasn’t expecting anything but cheap skates I could wear outside. The skates were normally $100 and they were on sale for $30 so I grabbed a pair. The point of my post wasn’t to say I was totally shocked and couldn’t believe I wasted $30. Somebody asked for an opinion on Tron equipment (3 years ago) and I shared my experience. I spent $30 on $100 skates and got $30 worth of skate. I thought they’d be at least as good as the $30 skates they sell at target for recreational roller blading, they weren’t but I already spent $30 and moved on with my life. In conclusion Tron sucks, I never said I was expecting high quality skates, and you get what you pay for. Holy crap.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Glad I could help. Scrub.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Anymore feedback on their wheels? I'm getting back into roller hockey and don't want to spend a ton on wheels playing beer league once a week.

If you're under 175lb, they're not a bad buy. I never had a problem with them cracking like rink rats. They last a long time. However, one poster they said they feel more like 76a than 74, my experience has been the opposite. They're pretty grippy and feel closer to 74 than 76 in my opinion and you lose a little speed compared to a better quality 76a wheel. For the money, the wheel is worth it. If you're playing competitive inline, I'd go for a higher quality wheel.

I've only ever used the green wheels. I wouldn't touch the others unless you're playing outside and need a cheap hard wheel.

Elbow Pads - I had an issue with the size not matching my other name brand elbow bands, but after a return for a bigger size, they fit great and I have no complaints. Great for the price.

Inline Pants - No complaints.

High End Sticks - Durability seems to be an issue with the ones I've tried. They performed well, but whether through unfortunate events or not, they don't last.

You get what you pay for. The quality isn't the same as a top brand, top of the line equipment, but it's also nowhere near the price.

Last edited:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Tron?
1949175_2949583.jpg

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
the synthetic leather gloves are great. I bought a pair about 3 years ago for roller hockey, on sale for like 30 bucks and they are still in great shape. the palms look new
and they are very comfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->