Anybody want a do-over?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Not sure if you are referring to me here or not. If so, that is not at all what i have done. my pre-season predictions over time have ranged from "i think we can make the SCF" all the way to "likely not make the playoffs" and most places on the continuum in between. If JD is in view, he is not like what you said either --- he, like me, has predicted varying degrees of success season-by-season. I am a bit conservative in predictions in general --- but not even remotely along the lines you state. Again, I may not have been in view. In any event, it is just simply evaluating what you think the team is likely to do rather than what you would hope to see. This season was rather clear that this season's team was going to struggle.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the person who created this thread...

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
There is only one great player left on Chicago. Its Kane. Amazing as that is. Guy is just great.

Keith and Seabrook on their bloated contracts wouldn't get much now. Just bad contracts.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
There is only one great player left on Chicago. Its Kane. Amazing as that is. Guy is just great.

Keith and Seabrook on their bloated contracts wouldn't get much now. Just bad contracts.
Kane looks like he is mailing it in most of the time. Contributing to the tank in his own way.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
With the exception of the ELC guys, Keith has had the most-cap friendly deal on this team for years now. He's worth his hit now, and even if he wasn't he's essentially the sole guy you'd give a pass to for finally being overpaid given his years upon years of being underpaid.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I thought they'd either just squeak in or just miss. With Crawford healthy I might have been closer.

Ah well.

Frankly, Id rather have a disaster of a season than just miss. There's no benefit to mediocrity, but there are rewards for extremes.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Keith would probably get MORE than his $5.5M cap hit if he was a free agent going into this season... Actually, I'm 100% certain he would have. No question.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Keith would probably get MORE than his $5.5M cap hit if he was a free agent going into this season... Actually, I'm 100% certain he would have. No question.

Yup. Shattenkirk got 6 years 6.65 this offseason and it was widely known where he wanted to go, so the Rags where basically bidding against themselves.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Yup. Shattenkirk got 6 years 6.65 this offseason and it was widely known where he wanted to go, so the Rags where basically bidding against themselves.

Im pretty certain he didnt get 6 years...

Edit: It was 4 years.

Which isnt outlandish. He's younger than Keith would have been last summer on this hypothetical ufa market (obviously) and the cap ceiling is higher now than when Keith signed, so its actually a lower percentage of the team's cap than Keith was when he signed. And he has the same number of cups and norris trophies as Keith had when he signed.

Honestly it was a pretty team friendly deal for NYR, especially on term.

Last edited:

Cement Head

I'm tired, I only had 16 hours of sleep!
Dec 23, 2017
In retrospect, this season should have been expected. Only three goals in a four game series, a second game loss of 5-0 at home, a feeling that the players easily accepted losing a series in a sweep.

Then losing the heart and soul, Hossa, for the season. Hossa may have been the most important player on the team. I think he was the best defensive forward, he got slighted due to being a winger, but nobody came close to his forechecking skills. I still remember the game a couple of years ago when it looked like a one on one game against Datsyuk when they stole the puck from each other in a ten second sequence.

Reactions: sugoi88

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Im pretty certain he didnt get 6 years...

Edit: It was 4 years.

Which isnt outlandish. He's younger than Keith would have been last summer on this hypothetical ufa market (obviously) and the cap ceiling is higher now than when Keith signed, so its actually a lower percentage of the team's cap than Keith was when he signed. And he has the same number of cups and norris trophies as Keith had when he signed.

Honestly it was a pretty team friendly deal for NYR, especially on term.

My bad on the years.

Do you disagree that Keith would get $5.5 on the open market?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
My bad on the years.

Do you disagree that Keith would get $5.5 on the open market?

I think Keith is at the age where term would have been the bigger issue.

I think he could have got more than 5.5, but not more for than 3 years.

Keith is going to be 35 soon. His closest comparable and fellow freak Scott Neidermayer retired at 36. We're in the home stretch here...

Reactions: Blue Liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad