Any word of Pro Hockey going back to KC

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
It's common sense. YOU want something, YOU pay for it.

Not really. It's common sense to get something as cheaply as possible.

Instead let's place a tax on people coming to visit for whatever reason.

It's not like people are going to boycott KC because of the tax, so people just end up paying a tax they shouldn't have to.

Whis is why it's so ****ing brilliant. It's like a sin tax on alcohol; it's not going to stop anyone but it's going to bring in additional income.

Some of you say it is a small thing, but really it is indicative of how pathetic Kansas City is: they can't even pay for their own sh**.

Without knowing about Kansas City's exact situation, my guess is they could pay for it. They are just smart enough to get someone else to

And it is more than just "if I don't like it, I don't have to go to KC."

I avoid KC. KC sucks big time. It's not like it is a tourist hot-spot anyways.

Why is it more then just avoiding Kansas City? You don't want to pay the tax, don't go there. Simple as that.

The point is, it is absolutely ridiculous to have non-residents pay for your crap.

Again, this is brilliant. Why make your tax payers pay for something they don't have to? Should Canada not charge me sales tax when I go across the border?

Consider this: For the Chiefs, Jackson County, MO residents get priority on buying Chiefs tickets. If the Pens move there, they better not do this with Pens tickets. Otherwise you'd have out of towners paying for an arena, but locals getting first dibs on tickets.

As someone in upstate New York I'm going to help pay for the new stadiums in New York City. Why is it ok again for me to pay for the stadiums in NYC, while never going there (well I connected at an airport at 2) but it's wrong for someone visiting Kansas City to have to help out?

So not only will the NHL not work in KC (I've seen people in KC say they want NBA, not NHL), but they don't deserve with stupid antics like:

1.) Having visitors pay for YOUR arena

2.) Having turned down lightrail proposals EIGHT times (they finally passed one in 2006, but if they had passed one ten years ago, and if the Pens move, they would have already had more than just bus transportation to the games).

You don't know that the NHL won't work. And as for visitors, what about people who live in Kansas City but won't use the arena? Is it ok for them to pay for it but not visitors?

Someone said STL was another city that built an arena without a team. That doesn't surprise me, it's the Missouri IDIOTS, regardless of which side of the state we are talking about.

Seems to me it's the people in Missouri that are ahead of the curve here. They get a free arena and they are idiots?:biglaugh:

With regards to the NFL in STL, they never deserved to get the Rams, because STL was such a pathetic sports city that they ran their NFL team all the way to Arizona due to lack of support.

The Cardinals of football might be the worst run team in all of sports. BTW, how does an NFL team in ST. Louis relate at all to an NHL or NBA team in Kansas City?

If you say the Rams prove that STL is a viable sports town, I say that Missouri proves to be a state full of bandwagon fans.

You can state that all you want, but can I argue that Kansas City and St. Louis aren't the same city... and unlike your statement mine can be proven.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
It's common sense. YOU want something, YOU pay for it.

Instead let's place a tax on people coming to visit for whatever reason.

It's not like people are going to boycott KC because of the tax, so people just end up paying a tax they shouldn't have to.

Some of you say it is a small thing, but really it is indicative of how pathetic Kansas City is: they can't even pay for their own sh**.
Um, wow. Again, I guess the whole state of Florida is "pathetic", because our visitors pump enough money into this state that residents don't even have to pay state income tax! There's an extra tax on hotel rooms that goes directly back to facilities for visitors and locals (like...sporting facilities). Then there's the extra penny sales tax that a lot of counties have to pay for stuff like roads, etc.

I find it hilarious and really kind of bizarre that someone is getting so worked up about this. If you find this so incredibly offensive, don't ever come to Florida because we're hitting visitors up for money left, right and center!

Think of it like supply and demand: you're not going to give someone something for free if they're willing to pay for it.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Well it looks like the arena you didn't pay for and didn't have a team locked into it before construction will remain empty for a while, except for Big 12 Tourney and non-sporting events.

Thank god...KC does not deserve an NHL team, period.

iceman64

Jan 5, 2007
Kansas City
I have to disagree on both counts. For starters consider how many cities are talked about as a good destination if only they had a stadium or arena (depending on sport) Kansas City now has said arena.

Secondly it's a genius move on Kansas City's part. Why pay for something if you can get other people to pay for it? If you don't want to pay for it don't go to Kansas City. It's not like they are litterally forcing out of towners to pay for the arena, just those that come to Kansas City. I wish Buffalo would do something like this for our football stadium that constantly is getting upgraded.

exactly right.......it's currently empty because it is not finished yet and won't be until the end of summer.........why the arena was built

1. KC needed a new arena badly and wanted to re-develop the dowtown area like many cities have. The arena is key to a new Power and Light district downtow.
2. *****many don't realize this but the college basketball hall of fame will be opening year round for visitors.
3. KC tired of losing out on big concerts due to the poor condtitions of Kemper Arena.
4. Big 8/12 tournament was a staple in this town until other cities like Dallas and Oklahoma city built new arenas......now KC wants it back.
5. ST.Louis was getting some of the best events in the state......NCAA regional college basketball championships, NCAA wrestling championships etc.
6. The KC Brigade arena football team will be the first tenant in the new building.
7. Bring the NBA and or NHL back to the city be it a relocation or more likely expansion.

******many wonder why they would build an empty arena and there are some or your answers. Remember St. Louis built the Edward Jones Dome before they had the Rams. You can't really get a team before you get an arena! Business dictates you better have the facility before trying to get a team.

Best part about it is the taxpayers aren't paying a dime and visitors are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad