Any word of Pro Hockey going back to KC

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I hope it stays empty forever. And it is all about KC. They built an arena solely to steal a team, any team, and I have gone through hell for a year. Sue me, I am bitter no matter how this turns out.

Yes, I'm sure the people of Kansas City really just wanted to make the people of Pittsburgh miserable and had the arena built for no reason. :shakehead I can't believe how much whining Pittsburgh fans have done this past year. They act like the world world is in a conspiracy against them or something.

Just because Mario was looking into Kansas City for the future of the Penguins doesn't mean Kansas City was trying to "steal" a team. (Not sure how it's stealing if an owner gives the "OK" anyway. Technically it's the owner's team, not the city's.) I'm sure they'd take one no matter how they got it.

Besides, the thread starter asked about Pro Hockey. Not just the NHL. Maybe KC will atleast get an AHL team. But hopefully the NHL expands or relocates there soon before the interest in hockey dies off and they move on to a second choice like the NBA or something.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I see hockey as a better fit for KC. Sure, you could debate the fact that they have a lot of basketball history in that state, but many places that have strong college basketball programs don't really care for pro basketball. Memphis, North Carolina, Atlanta etc. They get their bball fix.

Now hockey on the other hand is pretty non existent on the college level. In this country the only hockey any one knows of is the NHL, other than hardcore fans.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
They built an arena just for a once-a-year college tournament? Man, that's bigtime thinking right there. The NHL should jump all over a backwards city like that.

You must not have any idea how big college basketball really is. There's a reason practically EVERY arena in the country desperately puts bids in for ANY kind of college basketball tournament.

The Big 12 Tournament is probably one of the biggest, too.

And I see no problem with expansion. More teams = more fans = more money. Maybe the money they make from it will allow the NHL to take a paycut to move some games onto ESPN or something and get more exposure. (Have no clue where people are getting the "the NHL can't even handle the 30 teams it has" argument from. All 30 teams are pretty well stable expect maybe Pittsburgh. Though it's looking like they're pretty solid now too. Sure, some teams aren't making money - but hey. It's a sports franchise. Many don't make any money. Owners buy teams because they want one - not because they plan on making money off it.)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
mostly agree but maybe New Orleans should not have got the Hornets?

The NHL should be beyond picking its markets based on who has the new stadium. I'm open to the idea of KC (no pro sports Jan-March) but would like to see a better reason than Wichita drawing well. So while I agree with your reasoning here, I'd like to see an argument FOR kc?

Well, unfortunately I can't give a reason FOR KC, mostly because is there really a reason for any of the smaller-market cities to have teams.

The only thing I can think of, is that with Wichita being no more thant 3 hours away, the hardcore hockey contingent that it consists of would be willing to make the drive (at least I would), making it a bit easier for KC to support a team (a little, not a lot though). There, it's not a good argument, but it IS a reason.

As I said, I don't really have a reason...and to just reiterate, I do NOT want the Pens to leave Pitts, for reasons I've already stated.

undraftedstlouis

Sep 11, 2004
You must not have any idea how big college basketball really is. There's a reason practically EVERY arena in the country desperately puts bids in for ANY kind of college basketball tournament.

And I see no problem with expansion. More teams = more fans = more money. Maybe the money they make from it will allow the NHL to take a paycut to move some games onto ESPN or something and get more exposure. (Have no clue where people are getting the "the NHL can't even handle the 30 teams it has" argument from. All 30 teams are pretty well stable expect maybe Pittsburgh. Though it's looking like they're pretty solid now too. Sure, some teams aren't making money - but hey. It's a sports franchise. Many don't make any money. Owners buy teams because they want one - not because they plan on making money off it.)

i wasn't saying that 30 teams can't survive. just that I doubt I'll start following the NHL closely again as long as their are so many teams. I like hockey, but have never had much of a chance to play it (in the Southern US), am exposed to very little marketing of who the star players are, and am unconvinced regular season prices a re worth it, so I'll probably keep my focus on other sports. I spent a year living across the street from an arena but couldn't get up to going to a neutral game (my team never visited). I'm disappointed the NHL has been removed from national US discussion. I think I'll start watching more someday, but I'm not exactly sure what the NHL's "vision" is.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
But as a hotel tax wouldn't it effect locals who are taking their mistress to the Radison or signing in at the Motel 6 as Mr Smith?

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay

Yeah, those are cities with arenas that are actively occupied for a significant amount of time. Very few cities would build an arena for a week-or-two event, having no other tennant lined up. An exception is sometimes made for the Olympics, but that's not nearly as big as midwestern college hoops, right?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
KC and the NHL? No thanks.

I'd prefer Seattle or Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
I love this thread. Simply put.

NBA in KC? No thanks, theres no support every poll has shown 70% want's hockey over Basketball. We have basketball teams why do we need more? KU and Missou will outdraw any NBA team. What the area doesn't have is a hockey team. Topeka just landed the NAHL Roadrunners so we'll see how that works and wait for a pro team in KC.

As for the missplaced hatred from mostly Pens fans who just want somebody to hate for their situation other then themselves, you don't have to like the town but to say a team is going to fail there is just ignorant. The NHL seems to think that KC could be a success and I would be very surpised if the Sprint Center didn't come up repeatedly for a potential home for teams looking for a new one.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Yeah, those are cities with arenas that are actively occupied for a significant amount of time. Very few cities would build an arena for a week-or-two event, having no other tennant lined up. An exception is sometimes made for the Olympics, but that's not nearly as big as midwestern college hoops, right?

You know how much that tourny brings in revenue each year? Yeah around here it is the olympics. There will be tenants and having a bright new shiny arena will draw atleast a minor one until a major one decides to make KC it's home. You also are seeming to forget all of the other events that will be held there. The arena may be a slight drain on the AEG for a few years but in the long run it will be very worthwhile for the town and the owners.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
Here in Florida, we run the whole state that way! Nothing wrong with it, especially if it keeps me from paying state income tax. Thank you, tourists of the world. :D

Along with Colorado, Hawaii and parts of California. Why not let the tourists pay for your town they don't have to come if they don't want to pay it it's a choice they make.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
mostly agree but maybe New Orleans should not have got the Hornets?

The NHL should be beyond picking its markets based on who has the new stadium. I'm open to the idea of KC (no pro sports Jan-March) but would like to see a better reason than Wichita drawing well. So while I agree with your reasoning here, I'd like to see an argument FOR kc?
It's not really up to the league (at least not for relocations) - it's up to the owner - and a new arena is a huge factor in the business decsion to buy or relocate a team.

Expansion is a slightly different case, but without a new arena (or definitive plans towards one) any expansion team would be at such a revenue disadvantage, that it would probably make it a no go as an expansion candidate.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yes, I'm sure the people of Kansas City really just wanted to make the people of Pittsburgh miserable and had the arena built for no reason. :shakehead I can't believe how much whining Pittsburgh fans have done this past year. They act like the world world is in a conspiracy against them or something.

Just because Mario was looking into Kansas City for the future of the Penguins doesn't mean Kansas City was trying to "steal" a team. (Not sure how it's stealing if an owner gives the "OK" anyway. Technically it's the owner's team, not the city's.) I'm sure they'd take one no matter how they got it.

Besides, the thread starter asked about Pro Hockey. Not just the NHL. Maybe KC will atleast get an AHL team. But hopefully the NHL expands or relocates there soon before the interest in hockey dies off and they move on to a second choice like the NBA or something.

:dunno:

I hope that the building is condemned? Is that better? Face it, you built an arena with the goal of attracting a current franchise to relocate. Will I feel better if it is Nashville or Phoenix or Florida that moves? No. I wish you all no luck at all in the endeavor. Deal with it.

Westguy13

Apr 6, 2005
Not KC...
:dunno:

I hope that the building is condemned? Is that better? Face it, you built an arena with the goal of attracting a current franchise to relocate. Will I feel better if it is Nashville or Phoenix or Florida that moves? No. I wish you all no luck at all in the endeavor. Deal with it.

Hmm yeah do some research before you make statements like that. The Arena was built for more reasons then to "steal" a franchise. Of course with you anything I say is just wasting energy so I'm not going to try.

emptynet_66

Aug 2, 2005
Syracuse, NY
Hmm yeah do some research before you make statements like that. The Arena was built for more reasons then to "steal" a franchise. Of course with you anything I say is just wasting energy so I'm not going to try.

Yeah, Jaded, how dare you forget about the NCAA Tournament?
:sarcasm:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Cause thats the entire reason it was built. It's a big reason but not the only one. Thanks for helping make my points though.

Please. We are all adults here, can't we just be honest about the process?:

Finding a permanent tenant, either in the NHL or NBA, has been a priority for Kansas City. Officials are counting on the Sprint Center and an adjoining entertainment district to anchor downtown revitalization efforts.

But so far, the arena has commitments only for the 2008 Big 12 men's basketball tournament, which was once a fixture in Kansas City, and the annual BCE Classic, a four-game tournament sponsored by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-penguins-kansascity&prov=ap&type=lgns

You built the arena in hopes of LURING a team from a market that current has them. Screw the fans of that team there, you did what you wanted to. I could respect admitting it. I can never respect or hope that you suceed. And I say that even with the knowledge that the Pens are likely out of the woods and we fans of them dodged that bullet. I do not want to see Nashville, Florida, Phoenix or whoever go through it either. I pray to every God that there is that it fails.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I have to disagree on both counts. For starters consider how many cities are talked about as a good destination if only they had a stadium or arena (depending on sport) Kansas City now has said arena.

Secondly it's a genius move on Kansas City's part. Why pay for something if you can get other people to pay for it? If you don't want to pay for it don't go to Kansas City. It's not like they are litterally forcing out of towners to pay for the arena, just those that come to Kansas City. I wish Buffalo would do something like this for our football stadium that constantly is getting upgraded.

Genius move????

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sure it beats you paying for it, but why should visitors pay for your arena? You never explained that.

They are forcing out of towners who come to KC (for whatever reason, god help them) to pay for the arena. That's the bottom line, and it's stupid.

Let's have visitors who come into town AND SPEND MONEY IN KC pay for OUR arena.

brilliant.

And you NEVER EVER cited me one other city that was brilliant enough to build an arena without securing a team first? Do you really think the people of KC are brilliant? I lived there almost 5 years, they are not brilliant.

They are idiots. Bandwagon idiots who only show bandwagon support for the Chiefs. They don't deserve NHL hockey.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Genius move????

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sure it beats you paying for it, but why should visitors pay for your arena? You never explained that.

They are forcing out of towners who come to KC (for whatever reason, god help them) to pay for the arena. That's the bottom line, and it's stupid.

brilliant.
What's wrong with it, specifically?

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
Genius move????

brilliant.

And you NEVER EVER cited me one other city that was brilliant enough to build an arena without securing a team first? Do you really think the people of KC are brilliant? I lived there almost 5 years, they are not brilliant.

They are idiots. Bandwagon idiots who only show bandwagon support for the Chiefs. They don't deserve NHL hockey.

They aren't forcing you to do anything. If it really bugs you that much, don't stay in KC. I'm certain you can find a Holiday Inn 15 minutes outside of the city limits where you won't have to pay any taxes for KC's arena. Some people get pissed about the smallest things. :shakehead

If you wanna be pissed about something, be pissed that they are offering it rent free. That's what shows they are trying to "steal" a team more than anything else.

St. Louis began building the Edward Jones Dome before having a tennant. They hoped to get an expansion team (which ended up being the Jacksonville Jaguars, bet the NFL regrets that) but ended up getting the Rams. Why? Because they alreasy had a stadium built that was football ready.:teach:

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They aren't forcing you to do anything. If it really bugs you that much, don't stay in KC. I'm certain you can find a Holiday Inn 15 minutes outside of the city limits where you won't have to pay any taxes for KC's arena. Some people get pissed about the smallest things. :shakehead

St. Louis began building the Edward Jones Dome before having a tennant. They hoped to get an expansion team (which ended up being the Jacksonville Jaguars, bet the NFL regrets that) but ended up getting the Rams. Why? Because they alreasy had a stadium built for football ready.:teach:

Didn't St. Louis have to deal w/ William Bidwell and the Cardinals---the team that was transferred to first Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe then the current University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Noteman, before they landed the Rams?

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
Didn't St. Louis have to deal w/ William Bidwell and the Cardinals---the team that was transferred to first Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe then the current University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Noteman, before they landed the Rams?

Yes. The Cardinals played in Busch Stadium though. That was long before the EJ Dome was even considered. That stadium was built to bring football back to St. Louis.

J-Zilla

Jan 19, 2007
no offense to anyone from the KC area, but I can't see the NHL working in that area. I would much rather see a team in Houston or Winnipeg.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
What's wrong with it, specifically?

It's common sense. YOU want something, YOU pay for it.

Instead let's place a tax on people coming to visit for whatever reason.

It's not like people are going to boycott KC because of the tax, so people just end up paying a tax they shouldn't have to.

Some of you say it is a small thing, but really it is indicative of how pathetic Kansas City is: they can't even pay for their own sh**.

And it is more than just "if I don't like it, I don't have to go to KC."

I avoid KC. KC sucks big time. It's not like it is a tourist hot-spot anyways.

The point is, it is absolutely ridiculous to have non-residents pay for your crap.

Consider this: For the Chiefs, Jackson County, MO residents get priority on buying Chiefs tickets. If the Pens move there, they better not do this with Pens tickets. Otherwise you'd have out of towners paying for an arena, but locals getting first dibs on tickets.

So not only will the NHL not work in KC (I've seen people in KC say they want NBA, not NHL), but they don't deserve with stupid antics like:

1.) Having visitors pay for YOUR arena

2.) Having turned down lightrail proposals EIGHT times (they finally passed one in 2006, but if they had passed one ten years ago, and if the Pens move, they would have already had more than just bus transportation to the games).

Someone said STL was another city that built an arena without a team. That doesn't surprise me, it's the Missouri IDIOTS, regardless of which side of the state we are talking about.

With regards to the NFL in STL, they never deserved to get the Rams, because STL was such a pathetic sports city that they ran their NFL team all the way to Arizona due to lack of support.

If you say the Rams prove that STL is a viable sports town, I say that Missouri proves to be a state full of bandwagon fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad