Not open for further replies.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
canucksfan said:
Devan Dubnyk
Marek Schwarz
Julien Ellis
Al Montoya

I know it's still very early in the season, but thus far Montoya hasn't done anything to improve his status. He's had one excellent game and the rest has been iffy. 16 goals allowed in 5 games isn't what he's capable of. I hope it's just an early season struggle.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
realhabsfan said:
Anyone standout this year?

IMO: Schwarz is the best goalie in the draft:

This draft I would compare to 1995 as for how goalies shape up:

1995 you had Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Martin Biron, Brian Boucher, Marc Denis, these were the guys in taken in the first round. Then in other rounds you had Vesa Toskala, Sebastien Charpentier, Miikka Kiprusoff, Brent Johnson. So the 1995 draft was super strong for goalies.

2004 the guys who have the talent to go first round would be:

Marek Schwarz
Devan Dubnyk
Julien Ellis
Corey Schneider
Al Montoya

then later in the draft you have:
Dan Lacosta
Philippe Roberge
Brian Bridges
Jeff Glass
David Shantz
Justin Peters

so the top guys look like they are real keepers with Schwarz possibly being the next Hasek type goalie and Dubnyk being compared to Sean Burke and the rest in the 1st round potential guys this looks to be a very very strong year in the nets.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As far as super standout goalies like a DiPietro, Lehtonen, or Fleury...there isn't any though.

A lot of good goalie prospects, but no great goalie prospects.

Frozen Testicle

Too early to tell but Dubnyk could end up being a great.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Im telling everyone now. Devan Dubnyk is an entire class above any other goaltender in the WHL. I have been watching him all year and no other goalie even compares. Look at his bloody stats!! They are amazing!! Unfortunatley i dont have them at the moment, but they are sub 2 GAA, .915+ SP and 3 shutouts i think. He is going to be great. He is 6"5 for God sake!!!

Hitman*

Devan Dubnyk is the big one. Should be a Top 10. Main reason Kamloops is off to a good start.

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Lacosta is off to a great start in Owen Sound, top 4 in goaltending stats in OHL.
He will have trouble getting icetime though behind Gherson...considered by some as the best goalie in the OHL.
On one hand Owen SOund wants to win, on the other they want the higher cheque they'd get the higher Lacosta goes in the draft. So far they've almost split playing time.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
phantompenguin said:
As far as super standout goalies like a DiPietro, Lehtonen, or Fleury...there isn't any though.

A lot of good goalie prospects, but no great goalie prospects.

I would say Marek Schwarz has the potential to be a superstar goalie, so does Dubnyk but Schwarz IMO and in many scouts opinion could be the next Dominik Hasek. He dominated the U18s this summer, is doing really well in the Czech junior league with 4 wins 3 losses 1.50 GAA and a .957 Save. Also he is playing Extra League now as he is on loan to HC Ocelari Trince and his totals there are 5 wins 3 losses with a 2.57 GAA and a .931 Save.

These stats are superstats for a goalie.

Also here is a link to his profile if you want:

http://www.hcsparta.cz/index.php?webid=1&akce=clanek&id=325

shazata69

Hitman said:
Devan Dubnyk is the big one. Should be a Top 10. Main reason Kamloops is off to a good start.

He's one reason yes, but the entire team has played some great defence ahead of him. His backup is also a 17 year old in Dustin Slade.

Here are their stats.

Devan Dubnyk 6-1-1 1.98 GAA .926 Save Percentage
Dustin Slade 3-2 1.95 GAA .932 Save percentage

These guys have been brilliant but you can also thank the team thats playing in front of them who have been great and have the potential to be great this season under new coach Dean Clark

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
I dont think we have seen the best the Blazers have. Not by a long shot. Jonas Johansson, jarrett lukin and Erik Christianson are all well below their over a point per game averages of last year. Too me they seem disinterested out there. Maybe when the games have more pressure they will rise to their potential. The blazers best players so far this year are rookies Ray Macias and Roman Tesluk, they have been carrying the team and if the blazers' real stars played like they could, this team would be untouchable. As for Slade, he has played 5 games straight and has been amazing. He is also a rookie, so expect huge things from him for the rest of the year and years to come.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Jakethesnake said:
I dont think we have seen the best the Blazers have. Not by a long shot. Jonas Johansson, jarrett lukin and Erik Christianson are all well below their over a point per game averages of last year. Too me they seem disinterested out there. Maybe when the games have more pressure they will rise to their potential. The blazers best players so far this year are rookies Ray Macias and Roman Tesluk, they have been carrying the team and if the blazers' real stars played like they could, this team would be untouchable. As for Slade, he has played 5 games straight and has been amazing. He is also a rookie, so expect huge things from him for the rest of the year and years to come.

Yeah, ok duane.....you never cease to amaze me!

shazata69

Jakethesnake said:

First of all, I agree Erik from what I've seen doesn't look like he gives a damn. He's back to being his usual, pouty floating self out there and his name is mentioned in trade talks.

Yes the rookies have been outstanding and the Blazers will be a force for years to come, but the rookies shouldn't be the ones standing out the vets are getting much to comfortable and think they'll still be able to not work and keep getting ice time. Erik and Jonas know thats true as they've been benched a few times already something they aren't use to.

As for Slade, I don't see a future here for Dustin. As long as Dubby is here he will never get his chance at being a starter. Don't be shocked if you see Slade packaged up to bring back a defenceman or 2.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
first of all, Hablover, who the hell is duane??

second, shazata69, you are exactly right with everything you said. i genuinely hope some of those guys get moved becuase they are doing nothing. absolutely nothing. and i rerally think the blazers need to make a trade for another d-man coz Gordichuk, Salgeart and Bender suck. But Ray Macias, wow has he been impressive.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Jakethesnake said:
Im telling everyone now. Devan Dubnyk is an entire class above any other goaltender in the WHL. I have been watching him all year and no other goalie even compares.

So I take it you've seen all the other goalies that are eligible for the 2004 draft to be make a statement like that?
Yeah, that's what I thought.

shazata69

First of all, Gordichuk and Sagert have far from sucked I dont know what hockey games youve been watching. Gordy has been solid back there and Sagert has only played a few games and he's been good in the games he's played in and Sagert is going to be the cornerstone of our defence for years to come. As far as Dubnyk being the best thats debateable, but he's certainly one of the best right now.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Gordichuk?? Honestly. He has been horrible. The kid is 6'5 and he plays like a girl. When he has the puck, he is so predictable its embarrassing. He makes so many turnovers in his own zone its ridiculous. Did you see him put the puck in out own net against Vancouver. I dont know how you can say he isnt predictable and non-physical out there. Salgeart has played like 4 games and from what ive seen, he has been full of nerves. He hasnt done anything special.

Dont get me wrong, i love tha blazers, but so far, Gordichuk has been pathetic.

shazata69

Yer an idiot, the coaching staff and everyone else I've talked to is very happy with Gordy. Take yer love fest somewhere else and go read a book on hockey.

catcher

Oct 4, 2003
Visit site
In the OHL, there are a couple of other goalies who are looking good; DiRienzo of Kitchener and Samaris of Belleville.

Hockeystick

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Another goalie in the OHL is Justin Peters. Of all the 94's in the OHL, Justin has played the most minutes. In the top 10 for GAA and Save %. Looks like Coach Cameron is going with him as St Mikes # 1 goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad