Any Hope For The 2005 Draft In Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Is there any hope for this draft? I beleive if they get a deal done before may 20th, the draft will be on, I cant see them cancelling this draft with a kid like Crosby in it. Biggest name since Mario Lemieux in 1984. Do we have hope????

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
The NHL has all but guaranteed that the draft will be held by conference call once the CBA is signed. They already told Ottawa hotels not to reserve their rooms, and they needed a few months' head start to get everything going. Ottawa will more than likely get the next draft, however. Not sure if that's a certainty, though.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
tuckerdomi said:
Is there any hope for this draft? I beleive if they get a deal done before may 20th, the draft will be on, I cant see them cancelling this draft with a kid like Crosby in it. Biggest name since Mario Lemieux in 1984. Do we have hope????

I doubt that they'd hurry up and sign a CBA just so Crosby could take part in a draft, the NHL is not centered around him, I'm pretty sure that I heard somewhere that the NHL will award Ottawa with another draft sometime in the future, but not next year because I believe that is already decided and maybe a couple of years after that as well.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
No, it won't be the typical NHL draft. If they sign a CBA in time, the league could put together an NFL-type PR move of a draft. Basically fly in the top-60 or whatever prospects and still do the first round live so that the prospects can receive their 05 jerseys on television.

But in all likelihood, it will be done via conference call. And Ottawa will get another draft, however IIRC, the next two are already spoken for, so Ottawa is in line for 2008. Much like the All Star Game and Atlanta.

X-SHARKIE

Thornton97 said:
No, it won't be the typical NHL draft. If they sign a CBA in time, the league could put together an NFL-type PR move of a draft. Basically fly in the top-60 or whatever prospects and still do the first round live so that the prospects can receive their 05 jerseys on television.

But in all likelihood, it will be done via conference call. And Ottawa will get another draft, however IIRC, the next two are already spoken for, so Ottawa is in line for 2008. Much like the All Star Game and Atlanta.

Where are the next two?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There is talk of Vancouver getting the 2006 draft. I heard it on the local radio a couple weeks ago, and there was an article in the newspaper about it. Just rumours, but hopefully for me they are true.

X0ssbar

MacLean has dropped numerous hints that C-bus is in line for the draft to the point where he has said that the NHL has indeed awarded C-bus a draft but until this CBA mess is resolved he can't officially announce it. :dunno:

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
I realize it's not of improtance right now with no CBA, but it would be a shame if the National Hockey League deprives these youngsters of the draft day experience. A conference call will never come close to the feeling of throwing a team's jersey on in front of family, friends and the scouting team that drafted you.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
X-SHARKIE said:
Where are the next two?

I believe I lied, I apologize. I could have sworn I read something when the draft was cancelled that they wouldn't get it for a few years because the others had been promised already. I'll eat my words.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Steadfast said:
There is talk of Vancouver getting the 2006 draft. I heard it on the local radio a couple weeks ago, and there was an article in the newspaper about it. Just rumours, but hopefully for me they are true.

I heard that Ottawa will most likely have the 2006 draft...I don't have a link but Bettman already said that they will give Ottawa the priority for the next year draft...

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
RuzickaFan23 said:
I realize it's not of improtance right now with no CBA, but it would be a shame if the National Hockey League deprives these youngsters of the draft day experience. A conference call will never come close to the feeling of throwing a team's jersey on in front of family, friends and the scouting team that drafted you.

I can't remember where, but I've heard that they might have a "mock" draft ceremony for the 1st rounders. That would still be alright in my books, as long as the kids get drafted.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
I don't remember where I read this but I think I remember reading that the next possible draft that Ottawa can hold is in 2008? Perhaps I dreamt about this, but 2008 rings a bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad