Any euro goalie could make the jump to the chl?

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Does anyone have any idea? My favorite junior team the rimouski oceanic have a high draft pick (number 4th) in the import draft... The best case scenario will be to pick up a 17years old goalie and be there for the next 3year (rimouski will likely host the 2009 memorial cup)

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
timo pielmeier would be a good pick. i think he has expressed that he wants to come over aswell.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Could i have more info on him???? is he any good?? How old is he????

he is from germany, born in 1989. IMO he is very good. he played for germany in the U-18 WJC and had a sv% of 90.41 for a bad team.he is most likely getting drafted somewhere between round 4-7 in the nhl entry draft. would be a good pick up for any CHL team.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Harri Sateri if he's willing? Or is he not eligible for the ID yet? If not, my bad. I've heard some good things about him, but I would have to say the German goalie sounds like he could be a very good junior goalie.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Harri Sateri if he's willing? Or is he not eligible for the ID yet? If not, my bad. I've heard some good things about him, but I would have to say the German goalie sounds like he could be a very good junior goalie.

sateri would also definitly be a good pick. he has a great future ahead of him.:)

Luk3

May 27, 2007
Germany
he is from germany, born in 1989. IMO he is very good. he played for germany in the U-18 WJC and had a sv% of 90.41 for a bad team.he is most likely getting drafted somewhere between round 4-7 in the nhl entry draft. would be a good pick up for any CHL team.

Timo Pielmeier is considered almost as good as Thomas Greiss by some people here in Germany although most people think he's not that talented. Nevertheless he was a cornerstone of the Cologne Sharks junior team, which won the german championship. His numbers in the DNL (top german junior league) were quite decent as he played all but one game and had the second best GAA with 2.17 with 2 shutouts (the guy with the lowest GAA played for the dominant team of the regular season, which was beaten by Cologne and Pielmeier in the playoffs). Furthermore he played one game in the WJHC this year and made 31 saves on 34 shots when Germany lost to Canada. He will be eligible to play in the WJHC for two more years and will most probably be the starting goaltender for Germany in these years.
He would have been the Cologne Sharks senior team's back-up for the next season, but he wants to play Major Junior because that's where he sees the best opportunity for his development. In an article I read a few months ago he mentioned that he has spoken to several Canadian scouts and Dallas and Toronto already contacted him. Especially Toronto's Peter Ihnacak was seen quite a few times in attendance when Pielmeier played with the junior sharks. I agree with redwingsfan that he probably will be drafted in one of the later rounds.
I have heard some people in Germany say, he was lazy sometimes, but I think that won't be a problem once he gets the competition he needs. He worked hard with his coach last season and had some extra units with the Cologne Sharks' goaltending coach Rupert Meister (who coaches the junior team as well).
He himself considers his style as some kind of butterfly, but has some problems with shots to the upper part of the net.
He will definitly be good pick up for a CHL team, but I guess he will need some time to get used to the high level, because the junior league in Germany is rather weak.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Timo Pielmeier is considered almost as good as Thomas Greiss by some people here in Germany although most people think he's not that talented. Nevertheless he was a cornerstone of the Cologne Sharks junior team, which won the german championship. His numbers in the DNL (top german junior league) were quite decent as he played all but one game and had the second best GAA with 2.17 with 2 shutouts (the guy with the lowest GAA played for the dominant team of the regular season, which was beaten by Cologne and Pielmeier in the playoffs). Furthermore he played one game in the WJHC this year and made 31 saves on 34 shots when Germany lost to Canada. He will be eligible to play in the WJHC for two more years and will most probably be the starting goaltender for Germany in these years.
He would have been the Cologne Sharks senior team's back-up for the next season, but he wants to play Major Junior because that's where he sees the best opportunity for his development. In an article I read a few months ago he mentioned that he has spoken to several Canadian scouts and Dallas and Toronto already contacted him. Especially Toronto's Peter Ihnacak was seen quite a few times in attendance when Pielmeier played with the junior sharks. I agree with redwingsfan that he probably will be drafted in one of the later rounds.
I have heard some people in Germany say, he was lazy sometimes, but I think that won't be a problem once he gets the competition he needs. He worked hard with his coach last season and had some extra units with the Cologne Sharks' goaltending coach Rupert Meister (who coaches the junior team as well).
He himself considers his style as some kind of butterfly, but has some problems with shots to the upper part of the net.
He will definitly be good pick up for a CHL team, but I guess he will need some time to get used to the high level, because the junior league in Germany is rather weak.

thanks for all that info:handclap:

Luk3

May 27, 2007
Germany
redwingsfan said:
thanks for all that info:handclap:

no problem, I'm really excited about the chance of Pielmeier going to the CHL.

bigv said:
Jaroslav Janus HC Slovan Slovnaft Bratislava ..........one of the best Goalies for 2008 nhl draft

Yeah, Janus would definitely be a nice pick up. If I remember correctly he was the starting netminder for Slovakia at the under-18 world championship and wasn’t bad.
I guess there’s a nice chance that someone from Slovakia or the Czech Republic will come over after the recent success of Halak, Schwarz, Pavelec and Neuvirth, who all played or still play in the CHL. Honestly I don’t see any Swedish or Finnish netminder coming to NA, because their junior systems are quite good and especially the Finns seem to know what to teach their junior goaltenders. With the new rules for foreign goaltenders in Russia I can’t imagine any team would let go a talented, young Russian.
So, in my opinion, for CHL teams searching a netminder in the import draft it all comes down to the Czechs, Slovaks, or a guy from one of the smaller hockey countries like Switzerland, Germany etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->