Any 03ers to reenter the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oil3rs said:
Anyone think any of the 2003 draft picks will re-enter? I surely hope none of them do.

I hear there will be a grace period for teams to sign their 03 picks before they are abled to re-enter the draft...I think the 03 picks will have the option to re-enter the draft if they wish...though I doubt that will happen, unless a team really doesn't like one of their picks!

The Joker*

That is the question, and it has nothing to do with the team. The player has the choice to sign or not.

The Joker*

Whats wrong with title. It's exactly what we're dicussing.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Oil3rs said:
Whats wrong with title. It's exactly what we're dicussing.
It's a statement rather than a question. So the implication is "the 03 draft picks are definitely going to re-enter the draft, look here for details!" rather than what you're trying to discuss, which is "will any of the 03 draft picks enter the draft."

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Kritter471 said:
It's a statement rather than a question. So the implication is "the 03 draft picks are definitely going to re-enter the draft, look here for details!" rather than what you're trying to discuss, which is "will any of the 03 draft picks enter the draft."
have we got our 03 draft picks signed? im too lazy to go to andrews

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MattintheHatt said:
I hear there will be a grace period for teams to sign their 03 picks before they are abled to re-enter the draft...I think the 03 picks will have the option to re-enter the draft if they wish...though I doubt that will happen, unless a team really doesn't like one of their picks!

Yes. And the speculation is that during that grace period they will be subject to the old ELS. If they go back into the draft (or become UFAs if overage) they will be subject to the new more restrictive ELS.

The same thing happened in '95. Unsigned '93 or '94 picks who signed before the '95 draft were not subject to the ELS - any who signed after the draft were.

The Joker*

It's rumored that they will be a bit above the new ELS but far below the old ones.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
This is just something from another thread. Someone was asking whether or not Jeff Carter and Mike Richards would re-enter the draft.

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3055942&postcount=100

No real advantage to re-entering the draft for those guys unless they really don't want to play in Philadelphia, which is not the case as near as I can tell. Both guys want to be Flyers. My understanding, and there are no confirmed details yet to back this up, is that the unsigned 03 draftees like Richards and Carter and O'Sullivan etc., will not be able to get as much money in their deals post lockout as they would if they signed pre-lockout (like Phaneuf etc.), but they will be entitled to get a little more money than they would if they re-enter the draft and become 05 draftees and subject to the new ELS.

CoolburnIsGone

If Dany Roussin doesn't get an offer he likes from FL, I could see him going back into the draft. He'd probably be looking for like 2nd round money because that's the general area where he'd probably get picked if he re-entered this yr. With Keenan as GM, there's literally no telling what would happen.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Colliton was quoted in a recent prospect camp,saying he's ready for the ahl,can't wait to play for Bridgeport next season.I don't expect any trouble getting him signed.

I'm hoping the isles sign Cody Blanshan too.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Just depends..

Harper said:
This is just something from another thread. Someone was asking whether or not Jeff Carter and Mike Richards would re-enter the draft.

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3055942&postcount=100

Realistically, money isn't going to be a major deal anymore. Bonus structure should be clearly spelled out in the CBA.

Only way I could see Carter re-enter the draft is if (assuming he was a Leafs fan growing up), that Toronto lands the #2 pick in the draft. Outside of that, no real reason not to go to Philly.

With that said, does the draft lottery occur before the deadline to resign your 2003 draft picks?

After reading TSN's report about Richards and Carter, at the end of it, it says that their agents, I think it was Carter's, Curan is the guy, said that he wants the old CBA compensation package for the 2003 draft picks, if the Flyers still get to sign them. Well, given that the Flyers were not permitted to sign them during the past year, they are still allowed a window of 10 days to sign their guys. It's the player's choice if they want to sign in Philly.

As for having the old CBA compensation package, don't be on it. It will all be spelled out in the CBA. Besides, everyone knew that Rookies were going to be thrown under the bus by the NHLers. Curan should have gotten a deal done like Phaneuf's agent did. Dion's base salary will be comparable to Carter's, but he gets the old Bonus package.

I honestly didn't understand why any agent wasn't trying to get his player signed before the lockout? Just didn't make sense to me.....

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Oilers have to sign Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jean-Francois Jacques, and Troy Bodie. I think they'll all be signed, although Bodie might be a question mark.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Curran has been on DNL (Daily News Live), a sports reporter talk show, stating that Carter WILL be a Flyer. He has raised the issue of contractual status in relation to the CBA in the same discussion, but the fact of the matter is that is not in his, or the Flyers' hands.

As an agent he has been making noise to try and get some concessions to these draft picks (seems fair to me), but whether that happens we shall see. From everything that I've seen quoted in papers and from their agents when interviewed, both expect to be playing in Philly come next fall.

Clarke has also stated that they will both be offered the max amount he is capable of offering them because "they've earned it."

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Clarke wants Carter and Richards signed before the ink is dry on the CBA.

Their agents are talking of grand-fathering the 03 draftees to the older CBA figures (ie bigger numbers).

I'd suspect Clarke already has had "unofficial" contact with both camps to work this through.

They are the two big prizes in contention.

SENSible1*

I read a suggestion that the players would be able to sign under the old CBA entry level system minus the 24%.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Thunderstruck said:
I read a suggestion that the players would be able to sign under the old CBA entry level system minus the 24%.

would make sense in order to avoid any potential problems... it only $70K a season difference as noted on the Flyers board.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jester said:
would make sense in order to avoid any potential problems... it only $70K a season difference as noted on the Flyers board.
That would only be true if you believe new contracts are subject to 24% rollback ..

The old CBA max was 1.25 Mil base and the new 850K ..

The biggest loophole of old was signing and performance bonuses which regardless would not be subject to the 24% .. Phaneuf can earn millions in this manner ..

So not sure how you can back up the 70k belief ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad