Waived: Antti Niemi (DeSmith Returned, Jarry Recalled)

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Seems like such an odd move.. Sullivan didn't trust giving the guy the start. Was forced to put him into a shit show of a game and then they send him right back down the next day? Woof.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
They probably don’t want Jarry sitting. I’m guessing he starts against the Flames. I wouldn’t mind that as I’m going to the game.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I miss Brent Johnson.

Obligatory:

30suiau.jpg

:yo: :yo: :yo:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seems like such an odd move.. Sullivan didn't trust giving the guy the start. Was forced to put him into a **** show of a game and then they send him right back down the next day? Woof.

Niemi was a nightmare too, but the way the Penguins handled his games, it pissed me right off. I mentioned it several times, if Niemi sucked, fine, but the Penguins were even worse with how they chose his games to get him on track. Sullivan basically led him to his slaughter for 3 games.

Now they're doing that with DeSmith and Jarry and maybe even Murray with coddling him with preferable starts? Well not preferable now since the veteran is gone and now Murray is the lone wolf there. I feel bad for Jarry, hell if he even gets a start and if he does, watch it be a team that is firing on all cylinders while Murray gets the lob.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Its possible Murray has a minor injury from the first game of the b2b... he did look shaken... The Pens might want Jarry up in case it morphs into something long term

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Obligatory:

30suiau.jpg

:yo: :yo: :yo:

Ahh... I miss goalie fights. :(

Monahan and Johnny Hockey are going to destroy that poor kid.

Possibly. They havent been that impressive to be honest. They are putting up points, but for the amount of chances they get they sure arent burying them. Im not happy that the Pens arent healthy and are facing the Flames on a back to back, I never get to see them live when they are rested and healthy. :( There isnt really a good option goalie wise the next two games. You either put a rookie in against McOverrated or on a back to back.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Niemi was a nightmare too, but the way the Penguins handled his games, it pissed me right off. I mentioned it several times, if Niemi sucked, fine, but the Penguins were even worse with how they chose his games to get him on track. Sullivan basically led him to his slaughter for 3 games.

Now they're doing that with DeSmith and Jarry and maybe even Murray with coddling him with preferable starts? Well not preferable now since the veteran is gone and now Murray is the lone wolf there. I feel bad for Jarry, hell if he even gets a start and if he does, watch it be a team that is firing on all cylinders while Murray gets the lob.

They "coddled" Murray? Are you joking? Dude just started 4 in 6 nights. Sullivan isn't an idiot. With one starting goalie and an untrustworthy back up, he's starting his guy in the most winnable game. I don't know that you want to do that every time, but it was sound strategy. Obviously Niemi was even worse than anyone could have imagined so it didn't work out well in the end.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The plan all along was to call up Jarry now and let him play the Calgary game, hopefully part of the plan was also to have Hunwick and/or Schultz fly out to Edmonton with Jarry.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
They "coddled" Murray? Are you joking? Dude just started 4 in 6 nights. Sullivan isn't an idiot. With one starting goalie and an untrustworthy back up, he's starting his guy in the most winnable game. I don't know that you want to do that every time, but it was sound strategy. Obviously Niemi was even worse than anyone could have imagined so it didn't work out well in the end.
well it turned out it was not. if its still October and no one is really concerned, why play your goalie back to backs, it does not make sense whatsoever, no matter how you look at it

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I hope it was the plan all along and Desmith knew that ahead of time.

I thought he played well all things considered. I don't hold either of those two goals against him to any significant degree. I just hope suddenly getting sent back doesn't do anything to his confidence. He doesn't deserve that. At the same time, getting Jarry some games is only a good thing.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I think the idea behind Murray starting the easier "first game" of the back-to-backs, is that the goal is to ensure we at least get 1 win out of 2 games. I can't seem to imagine the strategy being anything other than that.

I've resisted all year, from starting a rant thread on Main, about how f***ed up it is the NHL handed us 19 B2B's (the most in the league), where only 1/19 set doesn't involve the team hopping on a plane and flying to another city immediately after the game... ON TOP OF... -15 games against other "tired" teams (the fewest in the league). DESPITE the fact that we've played 3 seasons worth of games in 2 years, not including other tournaments (World Cup, etc).

It's almost like the team saw the schedule when it was released, and said "WTF?!... Okay, forget the 2nd games, don't worry about those, whatever... but we've gotta win the first game, no matter what".

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I think the idea behind Murray starting the easier "first game" of the back-to-backs, is that the goal is to ensure we at least get 1 win out of 2 games. I can't seem to imagine the strategy being anything other than that.

It's almost like the team saw the schedule when it was released, and said "WTF?!... Okay, forget the 2nd games, don't worry about those, whatever... but we've gotta win the first game, no matter what".

Did the Pens have the schedule before they signed Niemi? Knowing they had that disadvantage made the need for a very good backup more apparent.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Speaking of Niemi, he played last night allowing 2 goals against...TAMPA AGAIN!!! Looking at his stats it says Hawks, TB, TB, TB.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Did the Pens have the schedule before they signed Niemi? Knowing they had that disadvantage made the need for a very good backup more apparent.
Yes, the schedule was released before free agency started. Niemi was awful last season so his struggles shouldn't have surprised anyone.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He had no choice but to play Murray as often as he has because they essentially just screwed Niemi.

And yeah, Niemi sucked.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Well, I mean they had to because of roster limitations, no? It was inevitable he was going to get waived again anyway.

But turning a corner? Dude still sucked in the 30mins he played for the Panthers.
He got some action in another game so he's up to about 60. He had a .872 SV% and a 5.08 GAA in Florida, so he still sucked, but somewhat less.

Maybe he can join a beer league? :laugh:
Is the IHL still a thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad