Waived: Antti Niemi (DeSmith Returned, Jarry Recalled)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He’s decent IMO.

Big guy, right gloved, good numbers at every level, not a bad cap hit.

He had a moment of brilliance, but since then he's been pretty mediocre. Condon has supplanted him and Condon is actually a solid goalie unlike Hammond who peaked for a year then went back to being obscure.

I mean it'd be cool for the "PittsBurglar" mask he'd likely have...but I'd pass on that, the only good thing is that he's a UFA after this year, but he's also a 1.35m cap hit, so if he also continues to stink at the NHL level, you can't bury that 100% like the pens could with Niemi (Now a Panther).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
IF and a HUGE if JR is still desperately looking for a back-up the moment Niemi crapped all over the bed, I'd also look at Michael Hutchinson. He's 27, 6'3" has never been below .900 SV% at the NHL level, he's got 1 year left on his contract at a 1.15m/yr cap hit.

His SV% has dropped each year, but the Jets have also stunk hard in each consecutive year. The good thing with him is that he's still capable of being a decent back-up, good fundamentals.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He had a moment of brilliance, but since then he's been pretty mediocre. Condon has supplanted him and Condon is actually a solid goalie unlike Hammond who peaked for a year then went back to being obscure.

I mean it'd be cool for the "PittsBurglar" mask he'd likely have...but I'd pass on that, the only good thing is that he's a UFA after this year, but he's also a 1.35m cap hit, so if he also continues to stink at the NHL level, you can't bury that 100% like the pens could with Niemi (Now a Panther).
I thought we were talking about Hutchinson.

Hammond is in fact garbage who’s never been good at any level outside of one hot streak in the NHL.

Hutchinson is who I want.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I thought we were talking about Hutchinson.

Hammond is in fact garbage who’s never been good at any level outside of one hot streak in the NHL.

Hutchinson is who I want.

Lol, weird, I thought you were talking about Hammond and then mention the goalie that you were actually talking about. My bad.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Kind of hilarious and shocking that Niemi with his 7.49 GAA and .797 save% got claimed. I know it's only 3 games but he's coming off a year with a 3.30 GAA and .892 save percentage. I think he's done but now he's Florida's problem. Although he does have a dirt cheap contract if you need to bury him in the minors.

I feel we should give DeSmith a decent look before spending assets in a trade. He's put up good numbers at every level.

It was such a luxury the past two years having Fleury and Murray. We still had a shot to win games and even championships if one of them was injured. This year we are almost certainly done if anything happens to Murray.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea Hutchinson wouldn't be a terrible guy to try.
Thinking they'll atleast give DeSmith and possibly Jarry a spin first tho.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Good riddance. I'm all for giving Jarry a shot. Technically I guess you could give both guys a shot with the intent of giving both some additional NHL experience without totally yanking them out of the AHL for the rest of the year. Then whoever is playing better at the end of the season, bring that guy up for the playoffs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just looking over a potential list if JR looks for another backup:

JF Berube is in CHI's farm now...
Hammond...
Leighton's still toiling around in Tampa's system. Not good stats on the year.
TOR has one too many NHL capables but with Pickard nicely on the Marlies, they won't give up that depth, most likely.
NJD has Kinkaid-Wedgewood but Schneider is out right now...
PHI has Stolarz(LTIR'ed)-Tokarski
NSH Lindback...
ANA Berra but Miller is injured...
ARI Domingue maybe...
CGY Lack maybe...
VAN maybe they move on from a Markstrom or Nilsson but they probably keep the depth. Both are at a caphit tho that doesn't make sense.
LV needs a goalie right now...

Hopefully DeSmith/Jarry can just offer decent enough minutes atm so it's not an automatic loss and can give the team some confidence to play.

ResignCraigAdams

Mar 15, 2017
I'm kind of curious to see what DeSmith has to offer. I mean he's put up good numbers everywhere he's played. Not saying he's starter material but he could be a capable backup.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
DeSmith reminds me of Chiodo. Not overly big and kind of just a battler in the net. He's scrambly at times, but he seems to know when to do it and when not to.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am ok giving DeSmith and Jarry a shot. Wait until the deadline to pick up a back-up for cheap if neither are stable enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad