Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What does all of this have to do with Anton Slepyshev? We're blaming the team for not playing a guy who averages a goal every 10 games with Leon Draisaitl?
What nonsense is this? Slepy played only 56mins with Draisaitl all season. Slepy had 6 PP minutes all season. The point is that we parked a player with substantial offensive potential, and that was a former Junior Star on almost strictly bottomsix minutes and often enough bottom line minutes.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
This is a bizzaro outlook on the sharks situation. Vlassic is defensively as good as it gets in the NHL first off. Anyone who cracks the Canadian Olympic roster is a star. Pavelski and Couture are shadows? Not sure you’ve been watching. This whole outlook is too bizzaro I’m not sure how you’re defending something that’s blatantly false. A team with Burns, Vlassic, Couture, Hertl, Pevelski on it is not rebuilding or developing a ton of young players. San Jose is a win now team. They’re the 5th oldest team in the nhl for goodness sake.

Vlasic had a really ordinary playoffs. Not sure what you were watching. It was Burns all day on the back end and offensively saving the Sharks. I like Vlasic, but now he played in playoffs.

If you watched the games Pavelski was getting outmuscled and stripped off the puck constantly. He was rarely a scoring factor. He scored 1 goal that wasn't an empty net. He flubbed lots of feeds. He's 34, past his prime, and Sharks getting less return out of his game. Couture was again playing injured in the playoffs. Had a good regular season but needed to be bigger than he was in Vegas series.

In the absence of the former stars of the team, Thornton, Marleau, the Sharks just lack scoring depth. You can't count on Kane either who is still an unknown up and down player on the roster. The fact that the Sharks have a lot of older players well past it is what makes them have to rebuild, a process that has started.

Anyway its not the topic of this thread.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Don't worry, we have a ton of good 200 ft forwards.

After all, they never get within 200 ft of the opposing net.

At least we no longer have Letestu who would bag 5 EV assists a season and if you were saddled with him you weren't scoring anything. The guy just murdered offense at Evens. Can never understand what people saw in the player. "Just what we need" lol, those were the typical comments when we got him. Along with the Jackets fans "You'll love him" comments. When I hear stuff like that I'm conditioned to lose my cookies.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
What nonsense is this? Slepy played only 56mins with Draisaitl all season. Slepy had 6 PP minutes all season. The point is that we parked a player with substantial offensive potential, and that was a former Junior Star on almost strictly bottomsix minutes and often enough bottom line minutes.
Slepyshev, as you said, has substantial offensive potential and once again this organization failed to use him properly and be patient with a young player. Was he inconsistent, yes, but that doesn't mean you bury him with plugs and make public your desire to trade him. I don't get it. I see a solid, big winger, who has decent speed and offensive instincts and we basically give up on him. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Reminds me very much of the way we dealt with Miroslav Satan. A gifted 21,22 year old who had great offensive potential. Once again, we couldn't be patient with his development and dealt him to Buffalo for a couple of useless guys who played a total of 40 games for the Oilers. He went on to have a pretty great career, leading his team in scoring multiple times.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Slepyshev, as you said, has substantial offensive potential and once again this organization failed to use him properly and be patient with a young player. Was he inconsistent, yes, but that doesn't mean you bury him with plugs and make public your desire to trade him. I don't get it. I see a solid, big winger, who has decent speed and offensive instincts and we basically give up on him. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. Reminds me very much of the way we dealt with Miroslav Satan. A gifted 21,22 year old who had great offensive potential. Once again, we couldn't be patient with his development and dealt him to Buffalo for a couple of useless guys who played a total of 40 games for the Oilers. He went on to have a pretty great career, leading his team in scoring multiple times.

You bringing up Miro Satan is wild to me as that's the comparable I would think of. With the exception that Slepy is a more rugged forward built out for the hard hitting WC whereas Miro was perhaps more crafty and dangerous. With Miro it was always so obvious. He was becoming one of my favorite players. I loved his offensive swagger. When Slepy got going you could just see the filthy talent. But think he got blindsided here so many times with benchings and being scratched that it just got to him. He knew the team was not going to use him adequately.

If Vegas had Slepy he would score 20 goals.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Substantial offensive potential? Slepyshev has never been a prominent scorer at any level he's ever played at. I know people got starry-eyed when they saw a couple nice playoff goals but the fact was there was a whole lot of fluff well before that. Slepyshev is an average bottom six player at the NHL level and when given time with Leon Draisaitl or Connor McDavid he didn't really show the situational awareness, raw talent or consistency to merit continuing to play with them. Considering how poor it was, him getting more PP time should've probably happened, but I'm not seeing the next Alexei Ponikarovsky (or Satan, wut?) here like you are. Textbook tweener.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
When given time with mcdavid or drai didn't show awareness to stick.

But the posts above say he played 56 minutes with drai. So wasn't really given a chance at all. If drai is playing 18-20 min a game Slep got 3 out of 82 games.

With the season over last week of October wouldn't it have made sense to see what we have in these players?

As it stands were losing a player and we still don't really know what we're losing.

Maybe he stays a 4th liner maybe he can be a 15 goal scorer. Maybe with confidence could be top 6. Kind of sad the coach never wanted to figure it out.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Substantial offensive potential? Slepyshev has never been a prominent scorer at any level he's ever played at. I know people got starry-eyed when they saw a couple nice playoff goals but the fact was there was a whole lot of fluff well before that. Slepyshev is an average bottom six player at the NHL level and when given time with Leon Draisaitl or Connor McDavid he didn't really show the situational awareness, raw talent or consistency to merit continuing to play with them. Considering how poor it was, him getting more PP time should've probably happened, but I'm not seeing the next Alexei Ponikarovsky (or Satan, wut?) here like you are. Textbook tweener.

The guy played a complete KHL season at age 18. He was one of the stars for the Russian club in WJ18 and WJ20 playing very well in both tournaments. His goal scoring potential should be obvious to anybody. Just that its awfully difficult for anybody to put up numbers in the NHL with very limited topsix assignment and non existent PP assignment. This is a large body player that liked to bang, that had good hands, good finish and was not at all put into a position to succeed here.

Anyway heres some career numbers; (need to consider that he was almost always playing higher league than typical for his age. )

Anton Slepyshev - Elite Prospects

These are near elite level performances in the WJ18 and 20. Yes, he was a highly touted Junior player as I had stated.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The guy played a complete KHL season at age 18. He was one of the stars for the Russian club in WJ18 and WJ20 playing very well in both tournaments. His goal scoring potential should be obvious to anybody. Just that its awfully difficult for anybody to put up numbers in the NHL with very limited topsix assignment and non existent PP assignment. This is a large body player that liked to bang, that had good hands, good finish and was not at all put into a position to succeed here.

Anyway heres some career numbers; (need to consider that he was almost always playing higher league than typical for his age. )

Anton Slepyshev - Elite Prospects

These are near elite level performances in the WJ18 and 20. Yes, he was a highly touted Junior player as I had stated.
Then perhaps his method of development always playing a level above was counterproductive towards developing that offensive potential because in the 100 game sample were saw here, it was pretty evident his offensive awareness was severely lacking. The NHL is not a development league.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Then perhaps his method of development always playing a level above was counterproductive towards developing that offensive potential because in the 100 game sample were saw here, it was pretty evident his offensive awareness was severely lacking. The NHL is not a development league.

"His offensive awareness was severely lacking" Disagree.

When he did have the rare chance to play with Drai he was doing fine. When he played in topsix here he was doing fine.

We have guys like Lucic floating through most of a season, Pulju struggling most of the season, PP struggling ALL season and there was no use of this guy on the unit?

The team even went out and got Aberg and Rattie. I'm sure Slepy and his agent paid some attention to that.

Why not give players you actually draft a reasonable chance of succeeding?

Remember that Slepy got 6mins PP this season and 56minutes with Drai. That's it. All bloody year.

I do agree however that Slepy was probably turned out to the KHL too early. Played almost a complete season in KHL as 18yr old.

But this guy had a ready to unpack NHL game. Just needed to be used commensurate with ability.

Reactions: Jamin

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

When he did have the rare chance to play with Drai he was doing fine. When he played in topsix here he was doing fine.

We have guys like Lucic floating through most of a season, Pulju struggling most of the season, PP struggling ALL season and there was no use of this guy on the unit?

The team even went out and got Aberg and Rattie. I'm sure Slepy and his agent paid some attention to that.

Remember that Slepy got 6mins PP this season and 56minutes with Drai. That's it. All bloody year.

I do agree however that Slepy was probably turned out to the KHL too early. Played almost a complete season in KHL as 18yr old.

But this guy had a ready to unpack NHL game. Just needed to be used commensurate with ability.

Funny that you bring up Puljujarvi struggling in relation to Slepy struggling due to a lack of ice time and opportunity. That you can't see both players were in the same boat this season is surprising.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

You can disagree all you want, it doesn't mean the guy had any inkling offensively. He, not unlike Tyler Pitlick, is a guy who attacks in straight lines. The creativity in either's game was relatively non existent and neither knew where to be to maximize their effectiveness when given those opportunities with Connor or Leon.

And the Oilers acquired Aberg well after Slepyshev or his agent likely requested a move--the reason for this. After that it was pretty apparent the Oilers should be looking beyond him. And if both he and his agent were paying close enough attention early on, Ty Rattie was paying his dues in Bakersfield while Anton decided it was necessary for the Oilers to burn his waiver exemption.

I don't disagree this kid is an NHL forward, but I don't see the certain offensive upside. He's a good fourth line winger. But he came up slow out of the gate and early on he probably didn't even deserve to be on the roster. Little late now but wanna bet he would've gotten a better look with Drai or Connor had he gone down and torn up Bakersfield when the team likely asked him to?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ridiculous and uninformed comments from someone who obviously didn’t watch the games.

Four Islander forwards finished the season in plus territory - and again if you’d watched the games you’d know what kind of a feat that is given how awful their goaltending was all season. Eberle was second at +5. He did not ‘make the team worse’ any more than he scored at a ‘torrential pace’. Your entire ‘review’ of his season is faulty.

Eberle’s ‘bad defense’ is so over stated on this site. I recommend actually watching the games instead of just posting the same inaccurate stereotypes you read on the board.

In fairness Eberle's defense is not "that" bad. However by the same token it is very apparent imo that Strome is much better. Very apparent if you watch the games. And he is a center.

The point I am going for, albiet with exageration, is adding high end one dimensional scoring wingers did not help the NYI. Your doing a fine jig to distract from that fact.

The Islanders and Oilers primary problems lie in goaltending and team defense. Coaching and special teams as well for the Oilers anyways.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Iirc, Miro Satan was traded because the team could only afford to pay one of him and Jason Arnott and they chose Arnott. Considering the times the team was in back then it’s somewhat understandable.

This situation isn’t as understandable to me. You spend a few years developing a player and then let him walk before you know what he is because your idiot coach buries him in the lineup even though the season was lost before Christmas. Pretty much four months of time to experiment and see what you have in everybody and Mclellan instead decided to do nothing with lots of players.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Iirc, Miro Satan was traded because the team could only afford to pay one of him and Jason Arnott and they chose Arnott. Considering the times the team was in back then it’s somewhat understandable.

This situation isn’t as understandable to me. You spend a few years developing a player and then let him walk before you know what he is because your idiot coach buries him in the lineup even though the season was lost before Christmas. Pretty much four months of time to experiment and see what you have in everybody and Mclellan instead decided to do nothing with lots of players.

The salary thing is news to me. First time I've heard of that. I think it's wrong. Here's the first 5 years of his salary:

1995-96$327,654
1996-97$274,207$(53,447)-16%
1997-98$600,000$325,793119%
1998-99$850,000$250,00042%
1999-00$2,250,000$1,400,000165%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His last year with the Oil was 96/97.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The salary thing is news to me. First time I've heard of that. I think it's wrong. Here's the first 5 years of his salary:

1995-96$327,654
1996-97$274,207$(53,447)-16%
1997-98$600,000$325,793119%
1998-99$850,000$250,00042%
1999-00$2,250,000$1,400,000165%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His last year with the Oil was 96/97.
This seems to support what I said, doesn’t it? His salary doubled the year after he left here and then ballooned two years later. This was the pre cap era and the Oilers were operating on a shoe string budget back then. The numbers don’t seem like much today but they were big back then.

Edit: I find it interesting that his salary dropped from the 1995-96 season to the 1996-97 season. When does that happen? Looks to me like the team low balled him and then they had to trade him because they knew they couldn’t sign him the next year.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think that may be the case. Stauffer mentioned the 2014 guys who must step up next year. He listed the guys and included sleppy
His KHL rights were sold to CSKA, so I'm not sure if they're dragging their heels or whatever. Some reports had him 'signing quickly', so it's tough to say either way.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Given how paper thin we are on the wings, it really seems to be a head-scratcher why we are letting him go. Things are so bad that even if you dont think the scoring potential is there, it at least buys time for Yamamoto to avoid being rushed. For the record, i really think there us a player there and wonder what might have been if not for that high ankle sprain late in off season training.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Given how paper thin we are on the wings, it really seems to be a head-scratcher why we are letting him go. Things are so bad that even if you dont think the scoring potential is there, it at least buys time for Yamamoto to avoid being rushed. For the record, i really think there us a player there and wonder what might have been if not for that high ankle sprain late in off season training.
I guess, I mean it's not as if the player has any kind of say or choice in the matter. I would like him to stay, if he wants to go, that's his prerogative.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I wont be a big defender of Slepyshev because he did lack finishing ability in the top 6 and seems like a really good depth player (and I totally understand a Russian wanting to earn more money and be a star in KHL vs a bottom 6 NHLer), but my only defense of him is that we plugged a worse player in Milan Lucic in the top 6 over Slepyshev. We should have given him more of a look in the top 6 when the season was lost

If we had better wingers for the top 6 and that forced Slepy to the bottom 6 and he left as a result, I would have no issues. But I do have some issues now given how we force fed Lucic minutes and Slepyshev was regulated to the bottom 6 pretty quickly. hes shown glimpses of top 6 ability in short sample sizes the past 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->