Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

You realize drafting has been so much better under Chia watch . We will have to play the wait game to see how they turn out but a short list tells the story

Jones
Bear
Yamamoto
Rasanen

Safin
Skinner
Wells
Benson not really a late pick
You don't know that yet. Junior success=/=NHL success. Bear is tracking well so far, but he has a lot of holes in his game to work on and the others have not found success at even the AHL level yet, let alone the NHL. Go back and read the Oilers prospect thread from 2011-2012. The hype for Pitlick, Marincin, Hamilton, Martindale, Bunz, Davidson, Ewanyk, Simpson, Reider, Gernat etc were anywhere from high to through the roof. I mean there were actually talks about a Marincin Gernat pairing in the top 4... The only prospect we'd correctly identified as garbage was Musil and that was mainly because we were a legion of Jenner supporters and bashing Musil was the cool thing to do.

Reactions: TB12

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You realize drafting has been so much better under Chia watch . We will have to play the wait game to see how they turn out but a short list tells the story

Jones
Bear
Yamamoto
Rasanen
Safin
Skinner
Wells

You realize the odds of most of those player becoming impact NHLers is pretty low, right? I have high hopes for Yamo and, to a lesser extent, Bear and Jones, but the rest are unlikely to be more than bottom of the roster filler. which is fine, you need those players, but the well of elite talent is pretty dry at the moment. And even of some of these guys do pan out at something more than replacement level NHLers, they're going to be years away from stepping in.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think they could make the playoffs next year without lifting a finger, but they have a lot of work to do before they can be a Cup contender. That starts in 2020.

I don’t disagree with that assessment.

I also agree that losing the draft picks in the Reinhart trade and the Chiarelli and TMac signings have proven very costly indeed; thus when we lose a borderline player like a Slepyshev it is magnified.

In the end losing Slep., along with Pak. and probably not resigning Cam. we lose forwards who were 12/13/14 forwards and are easily replaceable. None of them will make or break our season next year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
6g 6A 12pts in 50 games. Sounds mediocre

Except in context a dozen of those games he didn't even see 10mins and as little as 7mins. He saw mostly bottomsix minutes on a dead duck bottomsix. He rarely saw PP and all his goals and pts are EV. Prorated to 82 games this makes him as lethal EV as some of the players we were employing in topsix.

To add that here were serviceable attributes. Player played physical, quality forecheck, good hitter and soft hands for passes and scoring.

Its absolute nonsense the club gave him a chance this year. He was scratched 32 times, parked, benched, only had two months, Feb, March where he was in the lineup regularly and scored 4 of his goals in February getting regular minutes and some quality linemates.

Again the player also got only 56mins all season with Draisaitl. Who he worked very well with whenever he has had him.

If the team was trying to get rid of this player it would look like this.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Jones
Bear
Yamamoto
Rasanen

Safin
Skinner
Wells

Eh, I don’t think we can call the drafting better until some of them start making the NHL.

Marincin
Gernat
MPS
Tony Rajala
Olivier Roy
Hamilton
Bunz

Not long ago that list looked pretty promising too.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Except in context a dozen of those games he didn't even see 10mins and as little as 7mins. He saw mostly bottomsix minutes on a dead duck bottomsix. He rarely saw PP and all his goals and pts are EV. Prorated to 82 games this makes him as lethal EV as some of the players we were employing in topsix.

To add that here were serviceable attributes. Player played physical, quality forecheck, good hitter and soft hands for passes and scoring.

Its absolute nonsense the club gave him a chance this year. He was scratched 32 times, parked, benched, only had two months, Feb, March where he was in the lineup regularly and scored 4 of his goals in February getting regular minutes and some quality linemates.

Again the player also got only 56mins all season with Draisaitl. Who he worked very well with whenever he has had him.

I don’t see how people aren’t taking this into account before calling him inconsistent.

He was a regular bottom fixture when he did manage to get in the lineup, who got 10 minutes on a good night, and was openly informed via the media that he was available for trade.

The bottom 6 was an absolute disaster, but at least slepy played a big game, not afraid to hit, decent at puck protection, has a good shot, good forechecker, and came second in the faster skater comp this year.

This is a classic case of Oiler mismanagement. There was zero reason he shouldn’t have been with Drai and Lucic to start the season, or with one of McDavid or Drai to end the season at the very least. Just another promising young player who the oilers failed to develop. I have no doubt we’ll be adding JP to that list right away too.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Eh, I don’t think we can call the drafting better until some of them start making the NHL.

Marincin
Gernat
MPS
Tony Rajala
Olivier Roy
Hamilton
Bunz

Not long ago that list looked pretty promising too.

Only one I thought had any upside there was MPS/PRV . But look back on my postings I always said he should be converted to a D

I also we will have to play the waiting game to see

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For franchises that actually know how to properly value UFAs, yes. Apparently cap space was more important last offseason than actual players.
You could also spin it " let him go he was oiler drafted and developed, he can't be good"

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
There's guys of his value available for cheap every single UFA season.

Non-story.

And I like Slepy.
I like Slepy as well, and I agree that I don't think he is irreplaceable or would cost an asset to get an equivalent player, there are free agents local or European who could fill a similar role who could be enticed with an NHL contract, but having said that I'm pessimistic that our scouts will do a good job at replacing him given our signings last off-season.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
did rattie just become what they thought slepy would? and slepy saw that writing and dipped

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
For franchises that actually know how to properly value UFAs, yes. Apparently cap space was more important last offseason than actual players.

I don't think we're that bad at acquiring players of that skill level.

It's more issues with getting killed at high-end trades and high-end signings.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Jones
Bear
Yamamoto
Rasanen

Safin
Skinner
Wells
This means absolutely nothing until we see them contributing on the Oilers roster on a regular basis. You could go back every year for a long, long time and see a list that fans are excited about. Everybody has high hopes for prospects and think they are going to pan out. They haven’t though, hopefully some on this list wil but until then ...

Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That's the most mind-boggling thing to me.

Lucic-Drai-Slep looked like a solid line in the playoffs.

The coaches decided to try it again for a whopping 11 minutes this season.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Have to echo other comments annoyed about this. It's not particularly losing Slepyshev that gets me so much as: 1. how it fits into the Oilers' history with prospects, especially European prospects and 2. how he was handled.

Slepyshev was very up and down for us, and might never have turned into a reliable NHLer, absolutely true. But like so many other prospects, we never seemed to give him a push to really flame out and lose his spot, we just sort of dicked him around with very little patience for him to make mistakes. We didn't try combos that worked (Drai-Slepyshev) well in the past. We gave equally undeserving players way more time than him for no apparent reason. It's just frustrating to see, especially when the Oilers failed miserably at replacing/upgrading on Slepyshev level gaps in the roster last offseason. We still haven't replaced the roles Eberle, Pouliot, and Hendricks filled, no matter how you felt about them. Now we're adding gaps of the Slepyshev and Pakarinen variety. If we had plugged those other holes before, losing Slep and Pak would be no big deal. But we were already on pretty awful ground going into the offseason. I have very low confidence that the Oilers can fill all those gaps now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad