Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't see what the problem is. If their contract was for rubles, they get paid in rubles. If it was in dollars, they should get dollars.

If you signed a contract saying you get paid in rubles, you take the risks associated with that.

Maybe the issue is that the contacts were in USD, however they were paid in Rubles. The thing that makes most of this kind of a moot point is that Russian law is very... eastern block. I have family that moved from Russia ten years ago, and family that moved from Ukraine just eight months ago.

Everything over there is pretty much dependant on how much money you can discretely slide under a table. Literally everything.... I am willing to bet a contract signed as being paid in USD could rather easily be flipped around and be taken in Court as to be expressly implied to be in Rubles referencing fine print that doesn't exist, never did, and never will.

Especially when you compare the amount of cash the Oil barons and Mobsters that run the khl can slide under the table compared to the amount a hockey player (hell, even all of them unionized) could on any given dispute.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm sorry. I don't believe an ounce of this "insider information." It all just seems so incredibly bogus lol. I can't be the only one who thinks this can I?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I'm sorry. I don't believe an ounce of this "insider information." It all just seems so incredibly bogus lol. I can't be the only one who thinks this can I?
Have a look at the source. What do you think?

The one thing that almost certainly is true is that the guys who run the KHL are on friendly terms with the guys who run the country.
Guys like that look after each other in time of trouble.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding. If you negotiate pay in USD, you get paid in USD. If you negotiate pay in Rubles, you get paid in Rubles. I just don't get how the contract wasn't very clear that it paid either 3.7M Rubles OR 100k USD. NHL player contracts are all USD and they are paid in USD regardless of what the CAD is doing.

all contract values are in rubles-- this has tripped a few players up--when they signed as I said--it was 30 ruble to 1 us dollor--but the contact as per the KHLs CBA--all final contracts are in rubles--so if the contracts stated player X would get 3mill rubles--he would get 3 million rubles for the season--however in the last 12 months it has gone from 30rubles to 1usd to as high as 77 rubles to the US dollar. And once a team paid the alloted 3mill rubles--why would the pay anymore???? Players who signed when it was 30 rubles to the US Dollar put the math at 100k a year--however since they signed the contract (that was in fact in rubles) the ruble has gone down the drain. I was given the impression that all foreign national were paid in their home currency--but I since have been corrected that they were paid in Rubles and it was then exchanged into their home currency. Last November I faught a pitch battle on the business boad as to the fact foreign nationals were paid in either us currency or the euro--since then it has been explained to me that all KHL contracts are in Ruble and then tranfered into the home currency--so far I have only gotten this from the Russian players--the foreign national players I know are all back stateside--but it will be interesting to see how the Ryan Whitney statement will play outover the next little while--I do not think may players or agents understood the find print in the contracts for the KHL and their ruble based contracts as per their CBA--

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Maybe the issue is that the contacts were in USD, however they were paid in Rubles. The thing that makes most of this kind of a moot point is that Russian law is very... eastern block. I have family that moved from Russia ten years ago, and family that moved from Ukraine just eight months ago.

Everything over there is pretty much dependant on how much money you can discretely slide under a table. Literally everything.... I am willing to bet a contract signed as being paid in USD could rather easily be flipped around and be taken in Court as to be expressly implied to be in Rubles referencing fine print that doesn't exist, never did, and never will.

Especially when you compare the amount of cash the Oil barons and Mobsters that run the khl can slide under the table compared to the amount a hockey player (hell, even all of them unionized) could on any given dispute.

KHL cba clearly states all contracts are to be paid in ruble

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

as if I ever had a problem with being called out--but I would like to point out that I was talking about Sleps coming over prior ro Bagdad Bob and I had the Omark trade request before anyone and I have had a few other things over the past 12 to 16 months--not all posted here--but BBO was PMD some of the stuff I heard--although he may deny and just want to stay out of the mayhem

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I can see why players would be pissed if they got less than half the USD they expected to make. But unfortunately for them, they don't have an argument. And unfortunately for the KHL, fewer and fewer players are likely to take the risk of playing in Russia with the volatility of the Ruble.

Hopefully we can get Slepyshev over here though.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I can see why players would be pissed if they got less than half the USD they expected to make. But unfortunately for them, they don't have an argument. And unfortunately for the KHL, fewer and fewer players are likely to take the risk of playing in Russia with the volatility of the Ruble.

Hopefully we can get Slepyshev over here though.

Which volatility of the ruble do you refer to? Just amazing how ppl jump on the hype train and forget to follow the recent developments.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I find the whole ruble thing hard to believe.

Unless I'm misinterpreting it, the ruble was at it's lowest during the summer when these players were signing contracts. It rose from there and spiked like crazy at the beginning of February. It steadily declined from there, but it's still quite a bit higher than what it was during summer.

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
I find the whole ruble thing hard to believe.

Unless I'm misinterpreting it, the ruble was at it's lowest during the summer when these players were signing contracts. It rose from there and spiked like crazy at the beginning of February. It steadily declined from there, but it's still quite a bit higher than what it was during summer.

You have the numbers backwards. Using the 3.5M Ruble example, last June it was worth $101,500 USD, mid Feb 2015 it was at a low of $50,000 and now it is recovering a bit and is $70,000 USD.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You have the numbers backwards. Using the 3.5M Ruble example, last June it was worth $101,500 USD, mid Feb 2015 it was at a low of $50,000 and now it is recovering a bit and is $70,000 USD.

Ah. I thought the graph I was looking at was showing the value of the ruble in USD, but I guess it was showing the value of the USD in rubles.

So I guess it does make some sense.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Basically, people need to fire their agents.

I can see how, to a layman, it could be confusing. After all, NHL contracts all pay in USD, even the Canadian teams. The relative strength of the CAD doesn't really matter because the teams have to eat the loss in conversion. This is the primary reason Canadian teams struggled in the 90's and early 2000's.

So if a KHL team promises to pay you "X amount in USD" and the fine print is "Paid in ruble as it currently trades with USD", what you need is better representation to lay that all out for you.

Although the KHL is a total joke, so it wouldn't surprise me to see that NOT being in the contract language at all. KHL owners being slime-bags to get out of paying players tracks perfectly with
what we've heard about the league since it's inception.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which volatility of the ruble do you refer to? Just amazing how ppl jump on the hype train and forget to follow the recent developments.

So everything's hunky dory in the KHL?

I guess Fetisov is just flapping his jaw for no reason.

Because that was pretty recent.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So everything's hunky dory in the KHL?

There is no place on Earth with no problems at all. I asked you about the ruble. Do you really that much behind things that you don't know what's going on with the ruble?

I guess Fetisov is just flapping his jaw for no reason

Yes, of course. Fetisov is just pissed he got pushed aside a while ago by the KHL and is just once again trying to get some attention with opportunistic remarks. Not the first time. I guess it's not the last.

The KHL is trying to get better while other leagues in Europe are quite happy with being NHL's farm leagues. Teams will come and teams will go. There will be financial trouble for one team or another. It's growing pains. The main point it all has nothing to do with the ruble or Russia's economy which is quite fine for that matter.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Which volatility of the ruble do you refer to?

Are you saying the ruble hasn't been volatile? Because I'm looking at a graph that shows between 34 and 70 US dollars to a ruble in the span of a year. Is that not volatile? The ruble's (very recent) relative stability doesn't have much to do with the discussion.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There is no place on Earth with no problems at all. I asked you about the ruble. Do you really that much behind things that you don't know what's going on with the ruble?

Yes, of course. Fetisov is just pissed he got pushed aside a while ago by the KHL and is just once again trying to get some attention with opportunistic remarks. Not the first time. I guess it's not the last.

The KHL is trying to get better while other leagues in Europe are quite happy with being NHL's farm leagues. Teams will come and teams will go. There will be financial trouble for one team or another. It's growing pains. The main point it all has nothing to do with the ruble or Russia's economy which is quite fine for that matter.

About a year ago the ruble collapsed and essentially dropped to half of what it was valued at vs the USD. Partially blamed on the collapse of crude oil prices and partially blamed on sanctions placed on Russia following their annexation of Crimea. Since then it has rebounded steadily.

And I think you're missing the point on Fetisov's remarks. I'm thinking he wants the KHL to hold all Russian born layers in the KHL until they're 28. Not really something someone speaking of a healthy league would try to suggest.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Are you saying the ruble hasn't been volatile? Because I'm looking at a graph that shows between 34 and 70 US dollars to a ruble in the span of a year. Is that not volatile? The ruble's (very recent) relative stability doesn't have much to do with the discussion.

That was just one US attack on the ruble which is now over and forgotten. The probability Soros&Co. try this again is close to zero. It was a political thing. From the political standpoint there won't be anything comparable in the near future. From the economic standpoint there is nothing suggesting any ruble trouble in the near future.

I don't think any russian player will make a decicion based on ruble's stability.

On topic: I don't think Slepyshev will cut it. It's my personal opinion on a player, nothing more, but I don't see the tools.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
About a year ago the ruble collapsed and essentially dropped to half of what it was valued at vs the USD. Partially blamed on the collapse of crude oil prices and partially blamed on sanctions placed on Russia following their annexation of Crimea. Since then it has rebounded steadily.

Both just official lies to cover the real deal.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't think any russian player will make a decicion based on ruble's stability.

Maybe not, although we weren't talking about Russian players when you told us we didn't know anything about the economy.

And yes, as far as Slepyshev goes, I'm not sure we're looking at an NHLer, but if he's willing to come try, it won't surprise me if he makes it some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad