Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
In all fairness Pitlick was injured every single year he played for the Oilers. Would you hand out a three year deal to a mid twenty something fringe player who never played more than 30 games a year because he was always hurt?

Hindsight's a ***** around here.
All that injury history info was available to Chia and Dallas GM. Only One GM can be judged to have made the right choice.

Would I have signed him? Yes. I thought he was our best bottom 6 option. And I think 1M at 3 years is a small gamble on bad luck injuries.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Did it? You mean it paid off as he stayed healthy? Again, not re-imagine the pass, this team wasn't going to and should have considered giving him anything more then a 1 yr deal (which they did)

Well paid off in that you got yourself a bonafide bottom 6 NHLer that can play fast, shoot, forecheck, and is still young enough to get better. And for that all you needed was for him to not have extremely bad luck injuries.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Poor drafting has been universally accepted in the past especially with Stu MacGregor . When you have poor scouts and subsequently end up drafting poorly as a result, there's not much to "develop" ! o_O

Sure, but you'd think they'd fluke out into one keeper in all those years.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Hate to break it to ya, but a team paying McDavid and Drai 21M has be made up of some wannabes and maybes
Not just some but a lot. I think losing him hurts because it means we have to start from zero with another player. Slepyshev was still a young player that could have eventually eventually turned himself into something with more time.

Reactions: McCanovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not just some but a lot. I think losing him hurts because it means we have to start from zero with another player. Slepyshev was still a young player that could have eventually eventually turned himself into something with more time.
I doubt Chia will looking at UFAs to fill in Slepy and Pakarainen roles but will be looking internally. Some one like Tyler Vesel will be probably be forced sink or swim into the NHL

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't believe for a second that the Oilers are to blame for Slepyshev's lack of development. This is all on him but also, despite all the apparent physical tools, sometimes players just don't have what it takes to be an NHL player.
He played 56minutes all season with Draisaitl, the topsix player who he clicked the most with, and almost immediately. They rarely went back to this 17-18. It was an obvious thing to do and the team didn't do it. Who do you blame that on?

Reactions: Jamin

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He played 56minutes all season with Draisaitl, the topsix player who he clicked the most with, and almost immediately. They rarely went back to this 17-18. It was an obvious thing to do and the team didn't do it. Who do you blame that on?

Agreed, I'm not sure why he didn't get more of a chance to play a top 6 role with Draisaitl. Really seems to me that Todd poorly utilized Sleppy, or at least, didn't give him many chances to succeed. Having said that, Sleppy's inconsistency is also on him to a certain extent.

Reactions: Aerrol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think players enjoy playing for Mclellan. Even McDavid had to call him out

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Look, when you're contractually obligated to play Lucic 16 minutes a night in the top 6, there's only so many other minutes to go around.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's also up to the team to develop these players. The Oilers fail to do that on a regular basis. This ain't news.

Maybe you're right in the case of this particular player, but we've seen way too many of these guys come and go through the system to give the team the benefit of the doubt.

Great. Until the cap increases enough to give us breathing room and until some of those ELC layers actually turn pro, we're going to be looking for cheap filler.

"The Oilers are at the cap and will need to fill out the roster with cheap players" isn't pessimism dude. It's the fact of the matter.

I know we will be a cap team but the situation isn’t as dire as it’s made out to be.

As for Slepyshev being a competent roster player who contributes consistently, he blew it. Wish him well but for now the KHL is the league for him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I can understand trying to trade a guy but why did it have to be made public? How did that help matters? It's just one more thing on the bush league agenda. This Chia guy reminds me of Fred Flintstone.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
A 6'2 right handed shot 22 year old who was over a point per game in the AHL. This is another Pitlick level move. Played great in last year's playoffs too. I don't understand why we seem to never put players in positions to succeed.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
A 6'2 right handed shot 22 year old who was over a point per game in the AHL. This is another Pitlick level move. Played great in last year's playoffs too. I don't understand why we seem to never put players in positions to succeed.

He was over a point per game player in the AHL last season in 9 games. His career AHL stats are 31 points in 59 games. Well below a point per game.

Pitlick scored 11 goals in 58 games as an Oiler. Slepyshev scored 10 in 102 games, 13 in 114 if you include playoffs.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I heard Pitlick didn't want to sign here. Wanted to try another organization. Too bad I was a big fan of him.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Per reports, CSKA acquire rights for Slepyshev from SY Ufa.

edit: confirmed by SY Ufa.

Last edited:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
With the exit of Pakarinen, Slepychev could be playing a bigger role this upcoming season. I think Slepychev on the PK would work well. And on the PP too.

It's a mistake for management to let him leave, and a mistake for Anton to go.

Come on last minute deal Chia!!! Get'er done!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Funny how there are so many people disappointed in losing Slepy, a prospect that had all the opportunity but couldn't show that he belonged in the NHL yet had no problems with Chia losing Pitlick, a prospect that proved he could be an NHLer.
I had a huge problem with losing Pitlick. Yes he was injury prone and inconsistent, but he did things that our other bottom 6 forwards couldn't bring to the table when he did play, kind of like Slepyshev on a lot of nights.

Reactions: TheNumber4

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I had a huge problem with losing Pitlick. Yes he was injury prone and inconsistent, but he did things that our other bottom 6 forwards couldn't bring to the table when he did play, kind of like Slepyshev on a lot of nights.
I'm sure it was only a coincidence that he played 80 games last season.

Scored more goals than any of our wingers too.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Here's the complete list of Oilers taken after the first round since 2005 who have played more than 200 NHL games, the year and round they were taken, GP and where they are now:

Chris VandeVelde: 2005 4th round, 278GP, SM Liga
Jeff Petry, 2006 2nd round, 527 GP, Montreal
Anton Lander, 2009 2nd round, 215 GP, KHL
Tobias Rieder, 2011 4th round, 312 GP, LA Kings

Guys on the cusp include Davidson, Chorney, Marincin and Pitlick.

So, that's 8 guys in 12 years who had no more than extended cup of coffee in the NHL. None of them are impact players and not a single one is with the org today. Hell, this is the same team has also whiffed on multiple first rounders (Nash, Plante, MPS, Yakupov) in the same timeframe

It's pretty clear that historically poor scouting, drafting and development is one of the main reasons this org's depth is as poor as it is.

And the one guy they actually developed from that group was dealt for a 3rd round pick and the other (Pitlick) would have had the 2nd most goals for Oiler wingers this season.

I don't know if Slepyshev would have succeeded in another situation, seems like the typical toolbox but doesn't know how to use the tools player, but there is definitely a big problem with player development that still exists under the new regime that makes it all the more frustrating when a "toolsy" player like Slepy leaves.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And the one guy they actually developed from that group was dealt for a 3rd round pick.

I don't know if Slepyshev would have succeeded in another situation, seems like the typical toolbox but doesn't know how to use the tools player, but there is definitely a big problem with player development that still exists under the new regime that makes it all the more frustrating when a "toolsy" player like Slepy leaves.
Look no further than JP to see how we're doing lately.

The more things change...

Reactions: Little Fury

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm sure it was only a coincidence that he played 80 games last season.

Scored more goals than any of our wingers too.
Honestly even if he was injured and played his 30 games as usual, that's still 30 games where he's contributing more than the likes of Ryan Strome, Milan Lucic, Zack Kassian, Drake Caggiula etc. The only bottom 6er we have that brings comparable game to game contribution to the table is JJ Khaira.

Reactions: Jamin

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Honestly even if he was injured and played his 30 games as usual, that's still 30 games where he's contributing more than the likes of Ryan Strome, Milan Lucic, Zack Kassian, Drake Caggiula etc. The only bottom 6er we have that brings comparable game to game contribution to the table is JJ Khaira.
Yuuup... Our bottom 6 is a complete black hole of offense. Too many nights you'd forget that Kassian and Strome were even Oilers.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Here's the complete list of Oilers taken after the first round since 2005 who have played more than 200 NHL games, the year and round they were taken, GP and where they are now:

Chris VandeVelde: 2005 4th round, 278GP, SM Liga
Jeff Petry, 2006 2nd round, 527 GP, Montreal
Anton Lander, 2009 2nd round, 215 GP, KHL
Tobias Rieder, 2011 4th round, 312 GP, LA Kings

Guys on the cusp include Davidson, Chorney, Marincin and Pitlick.

So, that's 8 guys in 12 years who had no more than extended cup of coffee in the NHL. None of them are impact players and not a single one is with the org today. Hell, this is the same team has also whiffed on multiple first rounders (Nash, Plante, MPS, Yakupov) in the same timeframe

It's pretty clear that historically poor scouting, drafting and development is one of the main reasons this org's depth is as poor as it is.

You realize drafting has been so much better under Chia watch . We will have to play the wait game to see how they turn out but a short list tells the story

Jones
Bear
Yamamoto
Rasanen

Safin
Skinner
Wells
Benson not really a late pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events