Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My Russian friend who follows Slepyshev closely tells me not to bother expecting much out of him. He isn't tracking particularly well, and despite being underused on a really good team, with flashes of world class skills, he simply hasn't shown a lot at the KHL level.

He gives him 2 years in the AHL at the most, then likely back to Russia when the currency comes back up.

I liked what I saw of him last time in Russia. He has that extra gear player needs

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We're hearing a lot of 2nd hand info (I doubt many of us here have seen more than a few minutes of him playing).

It will be nice to have him in the AHL and see what he can actually do rather than guess and speculate based on hearsay.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Which post is this referring to?

The negative one. I've heard from a number of people over in Russia he's looking great and really making strides. Sorry JTS, I didn't see your reply it was the lonely one on its own page so on my end I was chronologically posting without quote to the post above me not you.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We're hearing a lot of 2nd hand info (I doubt many of us here have seen more than a few minutes of him playing).

It will be nice to have him in the AHL and see what he can actually do rather than guess and speculate based on hearsay.

It's 2nd hand info on players playing in 2nd rate league. It's really tough to make a judgement call until said player gets here. It is after all a team that has Hartsi getting 15 more points more than Slepyshev. A league where Thoreson was a dominate offensive player or Cervenka.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's 2nd hand info on players playing in 2nd rate league. It's really tough to make a judgement call until said player gets here. It is after all a team that has Hartsi getting 15 more points more than Slepyshev. A league where Thoreson was a dominate offensive player or Cervenka.

I agree.

Harti is 25 though... basically at or nearing his peak... whereas Slepyshev is 20 and (hopefully) still has room to improve and develop.

Slepyshev is playing only 12.5 minutes per game and putting up almost .5 ppg as a 20 year old.

Just based on stats alone I'd say he's likely tracking pretty well.

The KHL is a lesser league... but it's still the #2 league in the World.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Cervenka was horribly misused by Calgary and still scored at a pace of 19-17-36. I wouldn't say him being a good player in the KHL is a knock against the league. I'd still be interested in Cervenka to replace Purcell

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

We have seen Slepyshev play a fair bit internationally against the best players of his own age group and he faired very well. He is definitely highly skilled and plays a defensively responsible game. Add to that the fact that he supposedly took big steps forward this year to the point where he was given a serious shot at the WHC team and I'd say he is a prospect worth the attention.

Your point about second hand info is valid. But calling the KHL a second rate league really does not serve much purpose. Every player outside the NHL is by definition playing in a second rate league, and of those second rate leagues the KHL is certainly the best in terms of the over all quality its players. So if the only place a prospect can prove his worth is in the NHL it's probably best never to discuss prospects at all.

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
P
I agree.

Harti is 25 though... basically at or nearing his peak... whereas Slepyshev is 20 and (hopefully) still has room to improve and develop.

Slepyshev is playing only 12.5 minutes per game and putting up almost .5 ppg as a 20 year old.

Just based on stats alone I'd say he's likely tracking pretty well.

The KHL is a lesser league... but it's still the #2 league in the World.

Disagree. AHL, other than the fact they are at the mercy of the NHL pillaging their ranks, is better. KHL pays better though.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
P

Disagree. AHL, other than the fact they are at the mercy of the NHL pillaging their ranks, is better. KHL pays better though.

I don't see much justification for this statement in terms of the quality of the players. In fact, the AHL is almost surely behind the SHL as well.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
P

Not true at all . I think if you had the AHL champs go up against the KHL champs it would be an easy win for the KHL champs . Of course you can disagree and there no way of knowing who,s right .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
On a plane to egypt in a few hours and thought i would post and let you guys know that my guys in the khl are still telling me this guy is north america bound end shortly

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I believe the AHL is the better development league and because it's closer to an NHL style just a better league overall. Better coaching and systems.

However it's clear that the talent level of the KHL is higher. If that is what floats your boat or fills your boots, that is fair to say as well.

I think that the bronze metal win by a USA team and a win over the Russians with a swack of AHL players and college kids puts this into perspective a bit.

There is a reason why most players that want to be taken seriously for the NHL from across the Atlantic come to NA and play in the AHL.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hello some odds and ends from here in Egypt

Hung with a few KHL players that are on Vacation here in Sharm el Sheik in Egypt (this is where lots of Russians go on Vacation) they clued me into why some players are saying they were not paid. All Russian players were paid (according to the players I talked to) the players who say they did not get paid "Can't count" as one player put it. They said if the players who say they did not get paid do the exchange rate--they will see that they got the amount in Rubles they signed for--some non-Russian players were getting paid directly into their US/Can account and once the teams saw that they had paid them the full amount in Rubles--the stopped paying them..

Example

Players A signs on to a two year deal at $100k on say Sept 1st 2013 for say 3.7mill in Rubles (one USB = 37Rubles)---Now lets go forward to say FEb 2015-- September 2013 it took 37 rubles to buy 1USB--in on Feb 1st 2015 it took 70 rubles to buy 1USB- after echanging Ruble for UBS--that comes out to about 43k in USD--Player A was thinking he would get 100K regardless of the ruble and that is incorrect--players got paid once a month like in the NHL--however as the Ruble collapsed and the exchange rate got worse--teams looked at how much in Ruble they had to pay the players and once that hit--they stopped paying the player more--players thought they were getting 100K US (example)--but in their contracts it would jave read like 3mill in Rubles--when it got to a 70 to 1 ratio--teams did the math and decided they had paid the players enough.

Why am I posting it here?

Got some idea as to why Slepyshev has not signed--good news he wants to come to North America and has no problem playing in the AHL--but he does not want to play for lower AHL wages--Russian players are paid well in the KHL and Slepyshev will be taking a hit when joins the AHL--it comes down to how big of a hit he is willing to take.. While the NHL ELC is more or less set in stone--a player can get paid more for the AHL side of the deal. And that is the hang up--if the Russian players I talked to are right

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Hung with a few KHL players that are on Vacation here in Sharm el Sheik in Egypt (this is where lots of Russians go on Vacation) they clued me into why some players are saying they were not paid. All Russian players were paid (according to the players I talked to) the players who say they did not get paid "Can't count" as one player put it. They said if the players who say they did not get paid do the exchange rate--they will see that they got the amount in Rubles they signed for--some non-Russian players were getting paid directly into their US/Can account and once the teams saw that they had paid them the full amount in Rubles--the stopped paying them..

Example

Players A signs on to a two year deal at $100k on say Sept 1st 2013 for say 3.7mill in Rubles (one USB = 37Rubles)---Now lets go forward to say FEb 2015-- September 2013 it took 37 rubles to buy 1USB--in on Feb 1st 2015 it took 70 rubles to buy 1USB- after echanging Ruble for UBS--that comes out to about 43k in USD--Player A was thinking he would get 100K regardless of the ruble and that is incorrect--players got paid once a month like in the NHL--however as the Ruble collapsed and the exchange rate got worse--teams looked at how much in Ruble they had to pay the players and once that hit--they stopped paying the player more--players thought they were getting 100K US (example)--but in their contracts it would jave read like 3mill in Rubles--when it got to a 70 to 1 ratio--teams did the math and decided they had paid the players enough.

Got some idea as to why Slepyshev has not signed--good news he wants to come to North America and has no problem playing in the AHL--but he does not want to play for lower AHL wages--Russian players are paid well in the KHL and Slepyshev will be taking a hit when joins the AHL--it comes down to how big of a hit he is willing to take.. While the NHL ELC is more or less set in stone--a player can get paid more for the AHL side of the deal. And that is the hang up--if the Russian players I talked to are right

There is a maximum minor league compensation of $70K for players on their ELC. But the Oilers could give him a $92.5K signing bonus bringing the total up to $162.5K. Seems to me that this should be pretty much automatic.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010

Example

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding. If you negotiate pay in USD, you get paid in USD. If you negotiate pay in Rubles, you get paid in Rubles. I just don't get how the contract wasn't very clear that it paid either 3.7M Rubles OR 100k USD. NHL player contracts are all USD and they are paid in USD regardless of what the CAD is doing.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Follow up question: are KHL players unionized? Is there such a thing as the KHLPA?

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding. If you negotiate pay in USD, you get paid in USD. If you negotiate pay in Rubles, you get paid in Rubles. I just don't get how the contract wasn't very clear that it paid either 3.7M Rubles OR 100k USD. NHL player contracts are all USD and they are paid in USD regardless of what the CAD is doing.

I think what he's saying is that the contracts in the KHL are paid in rubles. The players thought that they would be getting a set amount once converted to US Dollars but the ruble tanked and the equivalent became a lot less than expected. Of course, it's jumptheshark here so I could be way off base with what I perceived from his post.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't see what the problem is. If their contract was for rubles, they get paid in rubles. If it was in dollars, they should get dollars.

If you signed a contract saying you get paid in rubles, you take the risks associated with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->