Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No reason to move Slep.

Chia should be moving UFA forwards(Maroon, Letestu, Camm) at the deadline, so they're going to need some NHLers. Might as well be a young, cheap one with some potential.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No reason to move Slep.

Chia should be moving UFA forwards(Maroon, Letestu, Camm) at the deadline, so they're going to need some NHLers. Might as well be a young, cheap one with some potential.

Agree. I think it's pretty likely that all three of those players you mentioned will be traded at the deadline, so we'll need a guy like Slepy to step in play some more serious minutes.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agree. I think it's pretty likely that all three of those players you mentioned will be traded at the deadline, so we'll need a guy like Slepy to step in play some more serious minutes.

Khaira has seemed a bit of since that monster game against the Habs.

I'd give Slepy the start against the Habs and PB Khaira. Just for a night.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We should just play him if we’re gonna trade him for girgensons
Slepyshev offers little else to us beyond an effective forecheck. He has some tools--good skater, hard shot, good puck protection--but he severely lacks the offensive instincts to make himself dangerous, which renders him pretty ineffective beyond the bottom six.

If he's a guy locked in the bottom six, on the wing and in the NHL--trade him for a guy who offers you more. Otherwise, he's simply just a guy taking up a roster spot.

This is why I target Girgensons. He's an effective fourth liner who PKs and can move to center. And if you were to give him the opportunities Slepyshev has seen this year next to guys like RNH, he's not going to give you much less offensively. Letestu is gone at the end of the year--Slepyshev isn't stepping in for him.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'm going to be livid with management and coaching staff if they trade him or send him down. I'll be a pretty big grumpy bear. Just put him back on RNH's line and leave him there.

I'd even like to see some PP time for this guy. Our PP is so brutal it can't get any worse with him on it.

One thing is consistent with Slepychev in the line up... they're a better team. How could the coaches not see this?

Reactions: slaman and Aerchon

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I really dislike the idea of moving Slepy. He's already a pretty good without the puck and has the skills needed to add an offencive component. Just has to figure out how to create enough space to get that shot off. He's 23 and 60-something games into his career, way to early to give up on him considering he's already better than at least 3 other forwards on the team.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have a bit of an issue with guys like Slepy, Khaira, Caggiula and Pakarinen. What are their ceilings? And how long do you spend on waiting for them to develop.

I like what he can potentially do, but at the same time how long do we continue to give guys in the NHL to grow their game? Might be time to start getting NHL vets and force these types of players to actually take a job from someone.

By doing so this would make our system better and maybe instead of bringing up a Brad Malone we'd be bringing up one of these kids when they are hungry. They just seem too safe and we don't get a consistent effort.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Trading Klefbom for a winger like Hoffman makes no sense, and I like Hoffman. Klefbom is already starting to play better and his contract is a huge plus if he returns to the form he had last year. . At his age you cannot make a trade like that since cheap young talented defensemen are nearly impossible to get by any means other than the draft.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Slepy is one of the guys that needed to step up this season to show that he is a real NHL player but failed to do so. 1 goal in 175 minutes isn't good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Trading Klefbom for a winger like Hoffman makes no sense, and I like Hoffman. Klefbom is already starting to play better and his contract is a huge plus if he returns to the form he had last year. . At his age you cannot make a trade like that since cheap young talented defensemen are nearly impossible to get by any means other than the draft.
The problem with Klef is people are expecting top pairing out of the guy based on last year. Yet at his contract he doesn't necessarily have to be that good to be a success on this team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

my guess this aint over--with the roster freeze tomorrow he will be done there more then likely for a month and I know the KHL wants him back

hopefully Chia pet sits him and his agents down and explains what is going on

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Essentially we pick up a useless player like Walker which causes us numbers difficulty and waiving a better play in Slepychev. Makes no sense to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Essentially we pick up a useless player like Walker which causes us numbers difficulty and waiving a better play in Slepychev. Makes no sense to me.
We never waived Slepy. He didn't need waivers yet. And it's because of Slepy's play this year that we grabbed Walker.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

my guess this aint over--with the roster freeze tomorrow he will be done there more then likely for a month and I know the KHL wants him back

hoepefully chia explains it to the fans as well because none of this makes sense. Draisaitl is stuck with Strome and Khaira, we're inserting dolts like Walker, and we're sending Slepyshev down?

Slepyshev showed more promise to me than any of Walker, STrome, Khaira, Caggiulia all of whom for some reason are remaining on the club.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I'd hate to lose him mid-season as we could use the depth in the AHL, but I don't know that PC is overly concerned about Slepy going to the KHL

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
hoepefully chia explains it to the fans as well because none of this makes sense. Draisaitl is stuck with Strome and Khaira, we're inserting dolts like Walker, and we're sending Slepyshev down?

Slepyshev showed more promise to me than any of Walker, STrome, Khaira, Caggiulia all of whom for some reason are remaining on the club.

The guy has 1 goal... He isn't some offensive juggernaut. This season has been a failure for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We never waived Slepy. He didn't need waivers yet. And it's because of Slepy's play this year that we grabbed Walker.

I misworded it. I know we are just sending Slepy down is my understanding is we won't be able to bring him back up immediately is what I gather from what others are saying.

I know virtually nothing about how these things work.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The guy has 1 goal... He isn't some offensive juggernaut. This season has been a failure for him.

I'd like to see the WoWy numbers before deciding that. to my eye Slep has been spot used and not much, and scratched, and buried in the lineup. I can't say he's played badly in any of the games.

Play him with somebody like Draisaitl and I bet the guy could produce again.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I am just waiting for him to agree to go down and not the "takin a few days to thinks about options"

Like I said--the KHL wants him back

I imagine they must have a mutual understanding that he is being sent down to "find" his game. Anton must have agreed to not bolt for the foreseeable future otherwise they might as well have kept him in and out of the PB and sent him down on waivers later (if it came to that) if they were worried about losing him to a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad