Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefa's consistency hasn't been star-worthy, but nor has he ever been consistently poor or shown any reason to not consider him a clear-cut top-4 option. It his dimension that exceeds any other Oiler and when he's at his best, he is the best defenseman on the team. It's easy to forget this is his first full NHL season and Adam Larsson, at the same GP, was a borderline NHL player. Consistency will take time.

As for Martin Marincin... this should no longer be a discussion. He's on the very short-list for worst players on the Maple Leafs this year. He's probably lost his NHL career already.

I only mentioned Marincin because someone else did in relation to me... I think. He started well and has lost his job last I heard, but I would be shocked if he washes out of the league entirely. Washington is still running Taylor Chorney as their #6/7/8 option. At his worst Marincin is a bottom pairing type at his best an Olympian.

A lot of chatter recently about Reilly being a bust as well recently in Toronto wasn't there?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I only mentioned Marincin because someone else did in relation to me... I think. He started well and has lost his job last I heard, but I would be shocked if he washes out of the league entirely. Washington is still running Taylor Chorney as their #6/7/8 option. At his worst Marincin is a bottom pairing type at his best an Olympian.

A lot of chatter recently about Reilly being a bust as well recently in Toronto wasn't there?

People are upset that Reilly isn't playing well as their defacto #1. No quite the same as a handful of people actually referring to Marincin as their worst player.

This is a team that employs Hunwick and Polak full time, btw. Those guys make Gryba look good.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
To use a cliche, he had a coming out party this playoffs.

I can't think of any moments in the playoff run where I was unhappy with how he played.

Really impressed.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He has a great package of size, speed, and a great shot. He might break out next year if he gets a top 6 role and PP time. I love that he actually uses that size and speed and lays a few hits consistently too.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Good depth guy... him being here might help lure Kovalchuk here too..

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
He has a great package of size, speed, and a great shot. He might break out next year if he gets a top 6 role and PP time. I love that he actually uses that size and speed and lays a few hits consistently too.

Yeah I think he just needs some consistent time with the same linemates and he can start to find open space to unleash that wicked wrister. He's got good size and uses it well on a cycle too. I could see him working well with Draisatl.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Definitely impressed with him in the playoffs. Seemed to get better once he was a regular in the line up (not surprising). Definitely a good combination of size, speed and shot. I like the fact that he has a shoot mentality as this team has so many players with pass mentality. Had really good effort in the playoffs, was able to reach an extra gear.

One area that he needs to work on is using his teammates more (and better). Sometimes it seems like he has tunnel vision a bit and doesnt really see them on the ice.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
One area that he needs to work on is using his teammates more (and better). Sometimes it seems like he has tunnel vision a bit and doesnt really see them on the ice.

I'd agree with that. His on-ice awareness isn't the greatest sometimes, which might explain why he wasn't very good at distributing the puck. IMO it'll be something he'll hopefully improve over time.

One thing I would really like to see next season assuming that he will be on the opening night roster (and I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case), is for him to get more of a look on the PP. He can one time the puck fairly well, and if Letestu proved anything this year it's that as long as you can be counted on get your one timer on net with consistency and you're right handed, 97 & 29 will give you lots of looks.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd agree with that. His on-ice awareness isn't the greatest sometimes, which might explain why he wasn't very good at distributing the puck. IMO it'll be something he'll hopefully improve over time.

One thing I would really like to see next season assuming that he will be on the opening night roster (and I see no reason why that wouldn't be the case), is for him to get more of a look on the PP. He can one time the puck fairly well, and if Letestu proved anything this year it's that as long as you can be counted on get your one timer on net with consistency and you're right handed, 97 & 29 will give you lots of looks.

I like his "motor" and I think if he can get a bit stronger and work on some of those finer details, he could become a very effective middle-6/bottom-6 forward for this team.

I agree with you, though, he's likely on the opening night roster for next season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Right now he reminds me of physical Patrick O'Sullivan.

I think he needs to work with Oates and try be smarter with his shots. Tries for a lot of low % shots that lead to missed nets and because of the velocity it leads to a lot of pucks leaving the zone.

With that being said he has come quite a long way since being drafted and I'm not overly concerned about his flaws that much.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
This player really grew on me as the season went on.

Still unsure of what we really have though. Can he be a top 6 player in the future or just a bottom 6 useful player?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This player really grew on me as the season went on.

Still unsure of what we really have though. Can he be a top 6 player in the future or just a bottom 6 useful player?

Maybe he's like Kassian when we first got him. Just a guy that gets thrown everywhere?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'd be willing to bet that he plays 65+ games next season and nets 15 goals. He needs to work on his neutral zone play a little but I think that'll come with more NHL time. He is big, fast and has a wicked shot that he loves to let fly. Hopefully he gets some PP time next season.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Right now he reminds me of physical Patrick O'Sullivan.

I think he needs to work with Oates and try be smarter with his shots. Tries for a lot of low % shots that lead to missed nets and because of the velocity it leads to a lot of pucks leaving the zone.

With that being said he has come quite a long way since being drafted and I'm not overly concerned about his flaws that much.

According to what said earlier oates no longer works for the oilers. When the oilers was sucking on the dot big time. Oates was on Gregors show and the response was he was no longer working with teams but individuals

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
According to what said earlier oates no longer works for the oilers. When the oilers was sucking on the dot big time. Oates was on Gregors show and the response was he was no longer working with teams but individuals

Oates never worked for the Oilers as far as I know. I'm saying he needs to go and work with him, like other Oilers and NHLers do every year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I see some pretty big issue with Slepyshev lack of awareness of teammates on the ice and that will prevent him from a really good depth guy or consistent top 6 player. BUT he does do things really well, those being skating, shooting and good board play/responsible 3 zone play. He has the tools to be a top 6 player but the horse blinder vision will prevent that from happening. I am not disappointed in that though, hell still be a valuable depth player and one able to play in top 6 when needed and provide value there

Really happy how hes turned out. 4 years ago I posted that my hope for him was to come over in 3/4 years (ironically this year) and come up big in playoffs. I guess he beat my prediction by coming to NHL sooner than I thought but did fulfill my hope of him being a big help in playoffs

From Aug 2013:

My vision/hope for Slepyshev is that he comes over in 3-4 years near the end of the season to be a hired gun in the playoffs. I think he may come over for 3-4 years after making big KHL money and play in the NHL in his prime for some good money as well. Then go back over for more big money.

Truth be told, I dont care if heonly comes for for 3-4 years then darts back. By all accounts hes as a great talent and has much higher potential than any other 3rd rounder. And if his interests are in KHL all the power to him. Cant fault MacT for taking advantage of Russian presence on the OIlers to draft Slepy and try to get him over.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Super happy with him - as long as he continues to be cheapish contract wise we can continue to watch him hit the bodies and score the goals.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Somethings gotta give and I think it will shortly.

Slepyshev plays one more game he loses his waiver exemption and that is one reason why he is not playing--it is not just about his play--but the oilers trying to protect an asset.

I know you guys hate it when I saw I know something--but I suspect we may have movement on this guy before the roster freeze on the 19th. I could be wrong--but the same guys that told me he was signing with the oilers are now telling not all is well

The KHL was not happy to lose this guy and while the national team did a few things to shut him out--if the Oilers sent him down--I can see a situation where he declines the offer and head back to Russia and the KHL

Here is the question

Why to do with Slepyshev? are the Oilers too concerned with him losing his waiver exemption

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Been speculating this for a while and still believe the smart move would be to call on Zemgus Girgensons. He's a struggling former first rounder who's put up points in the past, but is currently a serviceable fourth liner and PKer. Big, fast, physical and defensively capable--not unlike Anton.

Buffalo has been cycling through wingers all season looking for some consistent scoring in the top six. Slepyshev could hold some value to them.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Somethings gotta give and I think it will shortly.

Slepyshev plays one more game he loses his waiver exemption and that is one reason why he is not playing--it is not just about his play--but the oilers trying to protect an asset.

I know you guys hate it when I saw I know something--but I suspect we may have movement on this guy before the roster freeze on the 19th. I could be wrong--but the same guys that told me he was signing with the oilers are now telling not all is well

The KHL was not happy to lose this guy and while the national team did a few things to shut him out--if the Oilers sent him down--I can see a situation where he declines the offer and head back to Russia and the KHL

Here is the question

Why to do with Slepyshev? are the Oilers too concerned with him losing his waiver exemption

Slepy imo is better than Caguillia, younger, and shoots right. Losing him for nothing would hurt the organization imo. I believe he has a lot of upside still coming.

Caguillia signing, outside of a very small bit of the playoffs is looking like a mistake. Regular season so far the guy has been our worst Forward most nights.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Slepy imo is better than Caguillia, younger, and shoots right. Losing him for nothing would hurt the organization imo. I believe he has a lot of upside still coming.

Caguillia signing, outside of a very small bit of the playoffs is looking like a mistake. Regular season so far the guy has been our worst Forward most nights.
Totally agree. It would be a big mistake IMHO as well if we loose Slepy. Let's face it, he could of been more useful and productive so far, but once again, this organization likes to play that game where certain players are just on a very short leash

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Been speculating this for a while and still believe the smart move would be to call on Zemgus Girgensons. He's a struggling former first rounder who's put up points in the past, but is currently a serviceable fourth liner and PKer. Big, fast, physical and defensively capable--not unlike Anton.

Buffalo has been cycling through wingers all season looking for some consistent scoring in the top six. Slepyshev could hold some value to them.
We should just play him if we’re gonna trade him for girgensons

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Wouldn't mind Girgenson, but don't see what swapping him with Slepyshev accomplishes. That log jam at the bottom of the roster still exists and now you've got another LHS.

The other issue I have is what does Girgs being that Khaira doesn't?

I still see a spot for Slepyshev in the roster, mainly because he hasn't lost his spot to another RW on the roster, looking at you Kassian and Pakarinen

Caggiula is (or should be) in a tougher spot as that's exactly what Khaira's done to him on the LW side. Having Cammy in the line up also makes it tougher to run another midget, especially one that doesn't really bring anything beyond an honest effort to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad