Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Like SK said, wrong as well as sort of child of Don Cherry, who loves grinders without skill and when he significantly looked down on skill.

That was the generation that was very hard on Canadian hockey, until they smartened up and distanced themselves from his "ideas".

Wrong? It was a nationality reference Jimmi, since your saying I dont like Russians. I think prime Ovi, is better than a prime Crosby. Dam there goes your Russian theory.

If you want a better comparison, I like Nurses game more then Kelfboms.

Do you consider Nurse a grinder without skill?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well, whether it's because of nationality or because of taste, anyone who dislikes Klefa is wrong in my book.

To be fair, I probably should of stated it a little different. Because th whole time I have been talking about ones game, I didnt think it needed to be stated.

Im not a big fan of Kelfboms game, but I love Larssons game.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Both Slepy and Pitlick are the kind of wingers this team has to produce regularly to compete when Drai and McDavid get paid. I hope they resign Pitlick even with the injury issues. He should not be expensive.

Exactly. I'd throw JJ into that mix to because of his abilty to play any of the three forward slots.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
To be fair, I probably should of stated it a little different. Because th whole time I have been talking about ones game, I didnt think it needed to be stated.

You prefer Caggiula's game over Slepy but prefer Larsson's over Klef?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Wrong? It was a nationality reference Jimmi, since your saying I dont like Russians. I think prime Ovi, is better than a prime Crosby. Dam there goes your Russian theory.

If you want a better comparison, I like Nurses game more then Kelfboms.

Do you consider Nurse a grinder without skill?

Clearly it's not a xenophobia thing, though I do think you have a preference for what is traditionally thought of as Canadian branded hockey. Tough, physical play married with skill.

There's nothing wrong with that, although it's easy to marry it to a bias against European players because of Don Cherry's nonsense.

You still wrong about Klefa, though.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Clearly it's not a xenophobia thing, though I do think you have a preference for what is traditionally thought of as Canadian branded hockey. Tough, physical play married with skill.

There's nothing wrong with that, although it's easy to marry it to a bias against European players because of Don Cherry's nonsense.

You still wrong about Klefa, though.

Or maybe its the same brand Chia came here and built us around? I dont know, maybe Cherry is right and your wrong?

Klefbom isnt as good as your making him out to be, so no im not wrong.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Or maybe its the same brand Chia came here and built us around? I dont know, maybe Cherry is right and your wrong?

Nah.

Don Cherry is a xenophobic man-child, and it's a national disgrace that he's on our publicly funded network espousing his horrid opinions every week.

Having a preference for tougher, physical style hockey is one thing. Clearly it's something every team should have and has it's advantages. The idea that it's super-important individually, or that having it makes you better than someone who is just generally better at the game than you, is reductionist and silly. Most of the best players in the league do not play the game this way because other things matter more on the whole.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Nah.

Don Cherry is a xenophobic man-child, and it's a national disgrace that he's on our publicly funded network espousing his horrid opinions every week.

Having a preference for tougher, physical style hockey is one thing. Clearly it's something every team should have and has it's advantages. The idea that it's super-important individually, or that having it makes you better than someone who is just generally better at the game than you, is reductionist and silly. Most of the best players in the league do not play the game this way.

Lidstrom and Orr were IMO, the two best defenders to ever play. Not particularly physical or tough at all.

I think Lidstrom was one of the best dmen of all time. Orr was the best. Does that throw your assumption of me being like Cherry off?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think Lidstrom was one of the best dmen of all time. Orr was the best. Does that throw your assumption of me being like Cherry off?

I explicitly said I didn't think you were being xenophobic, just that you expressed an opinion that's easy to compare to Cherry's crap by other posters.

I was actually clearing you of the nationalist accusations another poster hit you with.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I explicitly said I didn't think you were being xenophobic, just that you expressed an opinion that's easy to compare to Cherry's crap by other posters.

I was actually clearing you of the nationalist accusations another poster hit you with.

I knew I should of googled that word ;)

I just like good hockey players. What ever nationality they are. I just love being a fan of hockey. Love talking it, debating it, watching, playing.

My life evolves around hockey, between season tickets, watching televised games, coaching, and playing I dont have a bunch of spare time lol.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I don't even know why this is a debate. Slepyshev is well-rounded and we are a better team with him in the bottom six. No knock on the other fringe forwards, but he brings more balance, more offense, and more versatility. Yesterday he had one shift with McDavid and scored. You put Khaira, Pakarinen, or Hendricks in the lineup and you have no option of spotting them in the top six.

He's fast, strong, and positionally sound on both sides of the puck.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Pouzar looked up the following:

Oilers Record with Slepy:
24-9-2

Oilers Record without Slepy:
13-15-7

Goals against per 60 at ES is 0.93 - yeah take him out now!

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Pouzar looked up the following:

Oilers Record with Slepy:
24-9-2

Oilers Record without Slepy:
13-15-7

Goals against per 60 at ES is 0.93 - yeah take him out now!

Thank you for posting this. I was pretty sure the Oilers record was significantly better with Slepy in the lineup and this confirms that. Why he gets taken out of the lineup is beyond me, he's clearly good defensively, good at forechecking, nice shot, good possession player. McLellan makes some baffling lineup decisions.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Klefbom isnt as good as your making him out to be, so no im not wrong.

Putting Chia and Cherry in the same paragraph is a bit funny, considering Chia's old man Frank wrote a book essentially calling Cherry a useless fraud.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I thought the only poster who didn't like Klefbom was the one who is Marincin's biggest fan. What's not to like about Klefbom's game? Same question for Slepy too, what's not to like about his game, besides that he's still developing and adjusting to the NHL.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Slepy's still inconsistent, but his confidence and comfort level offensively is growing. His forechecking and defensive game are already great. If he can continue to work on his shooting consistency and decision making with the puck he could be a 20-20 guy quite easily imo who can play up and down the line up.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Watching Minny-Winnipg game. Niederreiter's style and game really seems a lot like Slepyshev. Bigger body, skates well, shoot first mentality. Here's hoping that Slepy will become good middle6 forward who is good for ~20 goals a year !

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought the only poster who didn't like Klefbom was the one who is Marincin's biggest fan. What's not to like about Klefbom's game? Same question for Slepy too, what's not to like about his game, besides that he's still developing and adjusting to the NHL.

Lol.

I am assuming it's me you are talking about although I imagine there actually more than a few that like Marincin and don't think Klefbom has been as great as many on here seem to think.

Although to be clear since he overall actually started playing well in a top 4 role (approximately 20 games before he got injured last year) I have had more good than bad to day about him. But he is very inconsistent defensively this year. Really needs to be better defensively, but has at least shown a lot of growth in that area and is still young for a defenseman.

As for Sleepy, I really like this player. He actually reminds me of Pitlick not including injuries. All the tools that make you think he is going to be a solid NHLer, just a matter of when more than if.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Lol.

I am assuming it's me you are talking about although I imagine there actually more than a few that like Marincin and don't think Klefbom has been as great as many on here seem to think.

Although to be clear since he overall actually started playing well in a top 4 role (approximately 20 games before he got injured last year) I have had more good than bad to day about him. But he is very inconsistent defensively this year. Really needs to be better defensively, but has at least shown a lot of growth in that area and is still young for a defenseman.

As for Sleepy, I really like this player. He actually reminds me of Pitlick not including injuries. All the tools that make you think he is going to be a solid NHLer, just a matter of when more than if.

Klefa's consistency hasn't been star-worthy, but nor has he ever been consistently poor or shown any reason to not consider him a clear-cut top-4 option. It his dimension that exceeds any other Oiler and when he's at his best, he is the best defenseman on the team. It's easy to forget this is his first full NHL season and Adam Larsson, at the same GP, was a borderline NHL player. Consistency will take time.

As for Martin Marincin... this should no longer be a discussion. He's on the very short-list for worst players on the Maple Leafs this year. He's probably lost his NHL career already.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Connor who? Lol. Slepy the real MVP.

Seriously though correlation =/= causation.

A hockey season isn't the time or place to conduct a scientific experiment. :sarcasm:

The team has played much better with Slepy in the lineup than when he isn't.

Why not keep him in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->