Player Discussion Anton Khudobin UPDATE Signs 2y deal with Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm sure same could have been said about teams giving Martin Jones or Cam Talbot a chance. They could have went with their ok backup the year before. Look at these guys now, both starters for their new team
Do you honestly have confidence that Khodobin is set up to be a starter in the NHL? I think the situations with Jones and Talbot are different from the one we have with Khudobin.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sure same could have been said about teams giving Martin Jones or Cam Talbot a chance. They could have went with their ok backup the year before. Look at these guys now, both starters for their new team

Yeah and look at the price paid to get those guys. Talbot cost a 2nd, 3rd and 7th. Jones a 1st and Kuraly.

They didn't exactly come free or were picked up off the scrap heap. Most people thought that both guys were ready to be No.1 goaltenders based on their play with their previous teams.

All that being said, I wouldn't be against trading for a mid-20s aged goaltender who appears to be on the cusp of a starting job to support Rask.

I just don't know who that guy would be or if a guy like that is even available. Or if that guy would be interested in remaining in a back-up role if he's as close to starting as these guys were back in 2015.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Yeah and look at the price paid to get those guys. Talbot cost a 2nd, 3rd and 7th. Jones a 1st and Kuraly.

They didn't exactly come free or were picked up off the scrap heap. Most people thought that both guys were ready to be No.1 goaltenders based on their play with their previous teams.

All that being said, I wouldn't be against trading for a mid-20s aged goaltender who appears to be on the cusp of a starting job to support Rask.

I just don't know who that guy would be or if a guy like that is even available. Or if that guy would be interested in remaining in a back-up role if he's as close to starting as these guys were back in 2015.
I just think we need someone to push for Rask's job, also a guy who's our next starter. I don't see McIntyre or Vlader as that guy. I mean if Rask went down with a Carey Price type of injury, we'd be screwed. Dobby isn't taking us to the cup that's for sure.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I just think we need someone to push for Rask's job, also a guy who's our next starter. I don't see McIntyre or Vlader as that guy. I mean if Rask went down with a Carey Price type of injury, we'd be screwed. Dobby isn't taking us to the cup that's for sure.

Ideally this a path the Bruins could pursue, agree there. But I just don't see much out there this off-season that would fit the bill.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Ideally this a path the Bruins could pursue, agree there. But I just don't see much out there this off-season that would fit the bill.
Too bad we didnt draft a guy #1 a few years back and let him develop with the idea of taking over for Rask.........oh wait....... : )

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Too bad we didnt draft a guy #1 a few years back and let him develop with the idea of taking over for Rask.........oh wait....... : )

Is this the same guy who didn't show a whole lot at the AHL level (actually seemed to regress #'s wise as he went on) and got pulled from what, 2 NHL games here because he couldn't stop a beach ball?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Let's not re-write the history of Malcom Subban here. He did nothing to show he was ready to back up Rask this past season. I don't think the Bruins wanted to let him go, but the expansion draft rules made it a moot point. *edit to correct an error!* Now there are two young tenders in Swayman and Keyser (as well as Zane) that might be ready in a short time to replace Dobby, and eventually Rask. As for Dobby, who knows what will happen. I still wonder if the supposed concern over the position has to do with his contract demands in terms of money, not length. I don't see how we get around not re-signing him at what he wants for a two years unless the brass really believe McIntyre is ready to step up. If not, its better to keep Dobby than risk signing one of the crap choices of UFA goalies that will be out there.

Last edited:

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Not too excited to bring Dobby back for more than what he got this year. 32 years old and he likely is not going to get better. One year max. Boston needs to look for someone who can be a successor to Rask.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Let's not re-write the history of Malcom Subban here. He did nothing to show he was ready to back up Rask this past season. I don't think the Bruins wanted to let him go, but the expansion draft rules made it a moot point. Dobby would have been exposed otherwise, and they couldn't risk leaving him unprotected and possibly selected with no one to replace him with. Zane was not ready either. Dobby was the man and it turned out to be a good choice. Now there are two young tenders in Swayman and Keyser (as well as Zane) that might be ready in a short time to replace Dobby, and eventually Rask. As for Dobby, who knows what will happen. I still wonder if the supposed concern over the position has to do with his contract demands in terms of money, not length. I don't see how we get around not re-signing him at what he wants for a two years unless the brass really believe McIntyre is ready to step up. If not, its better to keep Dobby than risk signing one of the crap choices of UFA goalies that will be out there.

Let's not re-write history here. "Dobby" was exposed in the expansion draft. Could only protect one goalie and that was Rask.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I would try and sign Dobby cheap- Then try and deal Rask.
Not sure what it would take to try and get Quick or maybe Gibson from ANA. Im just thinking ahead. I honestly dont have much confidence in Rask going forward. He just doesnt steal many games in the playoffs. Aside from his series against the Pens in 2013, he really has been average at best. He had plenty of rest this season, and still had a rough first round against toronto. Started the season horribly, and then let in a bunch a soft early goals towards the end of the season.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I would try and sign Dobby cheap- Then try and deal Rask.
Not sure what it would take to try and get Quick or maybe Gibson from ANA. Im just thinking ahead. I honestly dont have much confidence in Rask going forward. He just doesnt steal many games in the playoffs. Aside from his series against the Pens in 2013, he really has been average at best. He had plenty of rest this season, and still had a rough first round against toronto. Started the season horribly, and then let in a bunch a soft early goals towards the end of the season.

Rask doesn't steal games unlike the two G that you listed (Quick and Gibson) who won a combined 0 game this year in the playoffs...

As for Dobby, he had a great year. If he wants to stay for cheap, great. If not, sign someone else.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Let's not re-write history here. "Dobby" was exposed in the expansion draft. Could only protect one goalie and that was Rask.

Yep, I clunked on that one for sure- what was it I am remembering here? Was there something that could have been done re: Subban, or no?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would try and sign Dobby cheap- Then try and deal Rask. Not sure what it would take to try and get Quick or maybe Gibson from ANA. Im just thinking ahead. I honestly dont have much confidence in Rask going forward. He just doesnt steal many games in the playoffs. Aside from his series against the Pens in 2013, he really has been average at best. He had plenty of rest this season, and still had a rough first round against toronto. Started the season horribly, and then let in a bunch a soft early goals towards the end of the season.

So are you only dealing Rask if you get back a goalie (like you mentioned above)? Or dealing Rask in general. None of the goalies mentioned are going to be traded. Quick is on an excellent contract and LAK don't seem to have a viable replacement...Why are they going to trade him for a more expensive goalie? Gibson is an RFA, but why would they deal him for Rask when they could just re-sign Gibson to a contract? He's younger and has very good regular season numbers with ANA. They're also a contender and I don't see a viable option behind him. Specifically on Gibson, you complain about Rask? Have you taken a look at Gibson's numbers in the playoffs? Woof!!

John Gibson (Postseason): 26GP = 11-13 Record -- 2.80GAA -- .912SV%

Funny how you reference his poor play, but don't point out his amazing play mid-season? Also, he wasn't an issue in the playoffs this year. Team couldn't score and played like shit against both Toronto and Tampa.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yep, I clunked on that one for sure- what was it I am remembering here? Was there something that could have been done re: Subban, or no?

Subban definitely could have been a selection for Vegas, but they decided to go Miller instead. Maybe they had inkling that Subban was going to be waived anyway?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Subban definitely could have been a selection for Vegas, but they decided to go Miller instead. Maybe they had inkling that Subban was going to be waived anyway?

I am remembering something from back then- was it Subban being called up or something and then becoming waiver eligible? I know there was something that happened- crap, that seems like forever ago :dunno::laugh:

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Rask doesn't steal games unlike the two G that you listed (Quick and Gibson) who won a combined 0 game this year in the playoffs...

As for Dobby, he had a great year. If he wants to stay for cheap, great. If not, sign someone else.
when is Braden Holtby contract up anyone know

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
Not too excited to bring Dobby back for more than what he got this year. 32 years old and he likely is not going to get better. One year max. Boston needs to look for someone who can be a successor to Rask.
Timmy T was 39y in 2011. I know Dobby isnt a starter, just saying.

Edit: whoops, 37. My B.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I am remembering something from back then- was it Subban being called up or something and then becoming waiver eligible? I know there was something that happened- crap, that seems like forever ago :dunno::laugh:

It was pre-season. All players are on the NHL roster during pre-season and then players are sent down. Because of his "years of service" Subban needed waivers to get sent down.

Bruins did not want to lose Subban, it's no secret. Sweeney said so himself. Khudobin was signed to a 2 year contract in part because they had to make a goaltender available for the expansion draft. They could have, and did, deter VGK from selecting Subban in the expansion draft by way of when the Bruins gave Subban his qualifying offer.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It was pre-season. All players are on the NHL roster during pre-season and then players are sent down. Because of his "years of service" Subban needed waivers to get sent down.

Bruins did not want to lose Subban, it's no secret. Sweeney said so himself. Khudobin was signed to a 2 year contract in part because they had to make a goaltender available for the expansion draft. They could have, and did, deter VGK from selecting Subban in the expansion draft by way of when the Bruins gave Subban his qualifying offer.

Ahh okay, thanks- some of those things start to all run together in my mind. I knew there was some connection to the expansion draft and to waivers :D Thanks Dom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->