Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Vegas Golden Knights on the verge of hitting the jackpot - The Boston Globe

Khudobin still the backup plan

It became clear over the last two weeks, based on end-of-season news conferences with GM Don Sweeney and team president Cam Neely, that the Bruins’ No. 1 priority in the offseason is to find if there is a deal to be made with backup goaltender Anton Khudobin.

As for Doby himself, he left here eager to get a deal done to remain Tuukka Rask’s backup.

“I’ve been all over,” mused Khudobin, who finished 16-6-7 with a 2.56 GAA and .913 save percentage this season. “I’ve been in California. I’ve been in Texas. I’ve been in Carolina. I’ve been in Minnesota. I’ve been in a lot of cities and a lot of states and Boston is my favorite one. And that’s clearly not because, ‘Oh, I am so nice, I want to sign here.’ This is my favorite city, that’s the way it is. That’s the way it is. It doesn’t matter if I am going to sign here, or if I am going away, Boston is still my favorite city.”

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Was it just me or did Cam sound like he wanted to upgrade? I'm fine with Dobby provided he can be signed for a deal similar to his last.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Vegas Golden Knights on the verge of hitting the jackpot - The Boston Globe

Khudobin still the backup plan

It became clear over the last two weeks, based on end-of-season news conferences with GM Don Sweeney and team president Cam Neely, that the Bruins’ No. 1 priority in the offseason is to find if there is a deal to be made with backup goaltender Anton Khudobin.

As for Doby himself, he left here eager to get a deal done to remain Tuukka Rask’s backup.

“I’ve been all over,” mused Khudobin, who finished 16-6-7 with a 2.56 GAA and .913 save percentage this season. “I’ve been in California. I’ve been in Texas. I’ve been in Carolina. I’ve been in Minnesota. I’ve been in a lot of cities and a lot of states and Boston is my favorite one. And that’s clearly not because, ‘Oh, I am so nice, I want to sign here.’ This is my favorite city, that’s the way it is. That’s the way it is. It doesn’t matter if I am going to sign here, or if I am going away, Boston is still my favorite city.”
I hope Dobby is back next year. I don't think the B's can get a better back up. The B's seem to really like him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
dobby was impressive for around 10 games and then finished the year 2.56 gaa and a save % at .913

that means around 20 games his numbers kind of sucked

of course for those with short memeries his 2016-2017 performance also kind of sucked

hes 32 now... so this isnt a kid we expect to get better... he is what he will be

i was a fan of his signing here... but its probably time to move on. we already lost subban by dragging our feet.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Go year to year until he gives you a reason not to.

Lots of teams have multiple goalies with big cap hits. Its OK to give Khudobin a little more to get him to agree to a 1 year deal. This guy was huge in turning the season around back in November.

I'll be furious if Neely and Sweeney over think this and get cute thinking a better backup can be had for under 2 mil per. He wasn't great in 2016/2017 though so I do hope its short term.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If the Bs can find someone better then by all means bring him in. Not sure someone like that, at reasonable cost, will be available. Dobby by and large was awesome this past season. His higher GAA later in the season was due in good part to gosh awful defense in front of him, largely as a result of players being out injured. Sure, he had a few stinky games, but for the most part he was as good a backup as one could expect. Guy seems to be a total team player and doesn't create any drama. He knows his role, and plays it well.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'll be furious if Neely and Sweeney over think this and get cute thinking a better backup can be had for under 2 mil per. He wasn't great in 2016/2017 though so I do hope its short term.

I wonder if this isn't the reason we are perceiving some dissatisfaction or uncertainty. Maybe Dobby's agent came in too high for the brass' liking?

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Dobby is a great team guy and saved us in November, but I move on. He's 32, after that stretch, he basically was just "fair-ok".
Same reason we move on from Riley Nash. He stepped up when Bergeron was out but back on the 3rd line he was "fair-ok"

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Dobby is a great team guy and saved us in November, but I move on. He's 32, after that stretch, he basically was just "fair-ok".
Same reason we move on from Riley Nash. He stepped up when Bergeron was out but back on the 3rd line he was "fair-ok"

The difference in age between Khudobin and our current starter in Rask is just 10 months.

Have you seen the list of UFA goaltenders younger than Khudobin? Not very much there to choose from. And if you let him get to July 1st and all the other teams scoop up him and the other decent back-ups, then your left scrambling and probably going to have question marks at the position next year.

He played well enough to allow them to rest Rask an appropriate amount of time. Well liked by his teammates, coaches, and Rask. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
dobby was impressive for around 10 games and then finished the year 2.56 gaa and a save % at .913

of course for those with short memeries his 2016-2017 performance also kind of sucked

hes 32 now... so this isnt a kid we expect to get better... he is what he will be

i was a fan of his signing here... but its probably time to move on. we already lost subban by dragging our feet.

The Subban that finished the year at 2.68 GAA and .910?

I would prefer that Z-Mac earns the backup spot over Doby, but after a hot start Malcolm also leveled off and finished with worse numbers than Khudobin.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

What is the blazes does that mean?

Subban in his FOUR years as a pro in the organization showed absolutely zero indication he was ready to be the back-up in Boston at any point during his tenure.

He's not even the back-up now during the playoffs. The Vegas coaches preferring to dress Lagace as the back-up to Fleury.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Was it just me or did Cam sound like he wanted to upgrade? I'm fine with Dobby provided he can be signed for a deal similar to his last.

I didn`t really take that from what he said, he mentioned the back up being a priority, IMO, he meant getting Doby signed on early. I see absolutely no reason why he wouldn`t bring Doby back unless someone in Providence is clearly ready and from what I read here, I`m not so sure that`s the case

Reactions: JOKER 192

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
With two tenders over 30 and no locks in the pipeline, I read they "hope" someone will emerge as the next one.
I remember a coach saying that "hope" was not a hockey strategy...

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm 50/50 on Dobby. I don't love him like some do, but he's serviceable. This past year was his best season (GAA/SV% wise) since the 2013-2014 season. My concern with Dobby, is which Dobby are you getting. At times he looked like a very good back-up and then other times he looked like he was lots between the pipes.

Hutton is similar in age, but had a slightly better year. Maybe you kick the tires on him.

Then you got the big kid from Buffalo whose an RFA Lehner. Big kid, but can get rattled and has seen him numbers drop year over year for 3 straight. The other problem is if he'd be willing to be a back-up and what Buffalo would want for him. From the sounds of it, he's not part of their future, so maybe it doesn't cost much.

Philly seems to have quite a few younger goalies, but IDK that any of them would be an upgrade over Dobby.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm 50/50 on Dobby. I don't love him like some do, but he's serviceable. This past year was his best season (GAA/SV% wise) since the 2013-2014 season. My concern with Dobby, is which Dobby are you getting. At times he looked like a very good back-up and then other times he looked like he was lots between the pipes.

Hutton is similar in age, but had a slightly better year. Maybe you kick the tires on him.

Then you got the big kid from Buffalo whose an RFA Lehner. Big kid, but can get rattled and has seen him numbers drop year over year for 3 straight. The other problem is if he'd be willing to be a back-up and what Buffalo would want for him. From the sounds of it, he's not part of their future, so maybe it doesn't cost much.

Philly seems to have quite a few younger goalies, but IDK that any of them would be an upgrade over Dobby.
Hutton is about the only available backup I've seen who would be comparable/slight upgrade to Khudobin. Since the difference isn't that big, I'd bet the B's don't risk it and get Dobby signed to a deal. I'd wager they go two years at about 1.5M per.

Reactions: Ladyfan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Hutton is about the only available backup I've seen who would be comparable/slight upgrade to Khudobin. Since the difference isn't that big, I'd bet the B's don't risk it and get Dobby signed to a deal. I'd wager they go two years at about 1.5M per.

At a price like that, I'd be fine. Its a slight raise from last season, but not something that puts us in a tough spot cap wise.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
At a price like that, I'd be fine. Its a slight raise from last season, but not something that puts us in a tough spot cap wise.
The Habs just signed Niemi to a 1 year deal for just under 1M. I like 1.5 for Dobby, because it's manageable, but still a small raise for him. I don't imagine he can command much more than that elsewhere either.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
The difference in age between Khudobin and our current starter in Rask is just 10 months.

Have you seen the list of UFA goaltenders younger than Khudobin? Not very much there to choose from. And if you let him get to July 1st and all the other teams scoop up him and the other decent back-ups, then your left scrambling and probably going to have question marks at the position next year.

He played well enough to allow them to rest Rask an appropriate amount of time. Well liked by his teammates, coaches, and Rask. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm sure same could have been said about teams giving Martin Jones or Cam Talbot a chance. They could have went with their ok backup the year before. Look at these guys now, both starters for their new team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad