Anthony Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I find he had a strong season and prooved to be a fine goal scorer. I too think he will not play in FLA next season as there will be a lock-out. AHL bound. :jump:[/SIZE]

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
To me, he was a disappointment. He was greatly outshone by Himelfarb. His post WJC play was way below his play pre WJC. He had the ability to dominate the games, but he disappeared a lot as well.

CoolburnIsGone

GM Rick Dudley has already stated that he expects Anthony to make the Florida roster provided there is a season next yr. I find it funny how several have stated so boldly that he won't be on the FL roster when you might not be privy to the local media in FL. If he had been signed last September, he probably would've been playing in FL this past yr since he was as good as Horton during the preseason. I expect him to have a similar start to his career like Horton - starting on the 3rd line but working his way up. I believe he's eligible for the AHL because Greg Campbell was 19 also when the yr started and he went to San Antonio himself.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
RichPanther said:
GM Rick Dudley has already stated that he expects Anthony to make the Florida roster provided there is a season next yr. I find it funny how several have stated so boldly that he won't be on the FL roster when you might not be privy to the local media in FL. If he had been signed last September, he probably would've been playing in FL this past yr since he was as good as Horton during the preseason. I expect him to have a similar start to his career like Horton - starting on the 3rd line but working his way up. I believe he's eligible for the AHL because Greg Campbell was 19 also when the yr started and he went to San Antonio himself.

I don't know Campbell's background, but I'm pretty sure CHLers can't play in the AHL until they are 20. Perhaps Campbell came from the NCAA?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
PhoPhan said:
I don't know Campbell's background, but I'm pretty sure CHLers can't play in the AHL until they are 20. Perhaps Campbell came from the NCAA?

Campbell came from the CHL.

There is a cutoff date. Campbell was a late (December) 83. I think he might have just gotten by the eligibility rules. He had three seasons of CHL I think, so that's not the reason. Stewart is a January birthday. If might miss the cutoff date or not, but there's certainly a chance for that.

One thing is certain, Campbell did indeed join the AHL before being 20. There's a cutoff date somewhere, or some other reason.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Vlad is correct about Campbell being a late '83 DOB. He was eligible to return to the OHL this season as an overager. Overage players are not required to be returned to their CHL teams and are allowed to play professionally.

Next season, Anthony Stewart as an '85 will not be an overage player (84s are OAs in the CHL). By agreement with the NHL, any non-overage player, save the extremely rare four-year CHL player (ie: Spezza playing as an under-underager), must be returned to the CHL if they are not kept at the NHL level.

CHL players may play minor pro after their league seasons have been completed (ie: Weiss in FLA a couple years back, Corey Perry this year), provided they are signed to at least an ATO contract. Or, like Brent Burns this season, can be sent to the AHL for a "conditioning stint" if they have not been returned to the CHL.

The age difference is due to the CHL drafting players strictly by year of birth, while the NHL throws the dreaded September 16th of draft year curveball into the mix, hence some "late" birthdays.

Boy, sounds confusing, doesn't it!

Any way you slice it, it's the Show or the O for Stewart this coming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->