anthony stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
pretty disappointing year statistically, didn't play that great at the WJC either. Granted, his potential's still pretty high but not quite the level people thought he would attain. I don't think he'll be in HF's top 20 prospects.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Anthony Stewart is quite the interesting prospect. Looked so great at the 2004 WJHC, then looked avg at best in the 2005 World Juniors.

I was with him this weekend and was talking to him and he was talking about himself in a humble way. Stating that he was NOT one of those 100 point a game players who can do it himself. He stated Crosby and Perry were just awesome guys to play with at the WJHC and Crosby would be the next 120 point guy in the NHL.

He said that his style, size and speed would allow him to be an effective NHL player and possibly get a spot on a scoring line at some point in his career playing with a creative passing centre.

I see him being a 2nd line winger possibly getting 45-55 pts and being a big body in front of the net and cycling the puck down low on the PP.

Don't let his stats this year fool you, he's not a one man team and thats what the fronts needed. They needed a first line centre and naturally they just didn't have it. Look for him to have a pretty good year next year in the AHL and re-affirm his top prospect billing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I like Anthony Stewart and love his attitude, but thought people hyped his potential a bit much last year. Junior-age players who hit 225 pounds before any of their contemporaries grow into their frames are expected to run roughshod over the competition, but others tend to catch up over time. I still think his production was a function of an early growth spurt and the physical presence that afforded him for a time. In the NHL, he won't stand out to nearly the same extent on sheer physical grounds.

I think Stewart has himself pegged pretty well, from what the previous poster described. He will almost certainly be an NHL player, and he should make his way onto a scoring line for periods. He should be a solid third liner who can chip in offense the rest of the time... and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Guys like that are prized.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Drake1588 said:
I think Stewart has himself pegged pretty well, from what the previous poster described. He will almost certainly be an NHL player, and he should make his way onto a scoring line for periods. He should be a solid third liner who can chip in offense the rest of the time... and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Guys like that are prized.
Agreed. He always comes across as a motivated and hard-working guy when he talks, but the one thing that worried me more than his lack of production in regular season games this year was that he sometimes seemed disinterested or tuned out a bit on the ice. While it's true that he's not necessarily a guy to carry a team on his own, he still looked like he was playing in cruise control most times I saw him this year. I'm pretty sure he has an extra gear of on-ice effort that he could have used this year, but didn't for whatever reason. It might not have resulted in dramatically greater production, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad