Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jacobv2 said:
Does ANYONE want to answer my question?

What exactly is your question? If you're asking for the name of a power forward that needs a play-making center to be effective, I'd say a guy like Bill Guerin.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And who is his playmaker in Dallas? I'm not seeing any on their roster.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jacobv2 said:
And who is his playmaker in Dallas? I'm not seeing any on their roster.

You don't consider Mike Modano a playmaker? Or what about Doug Weight or Joe Thornton? Guerin has played with all of them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Modano is a great offensive player. But he isn't a playmaker.

We're getting into semantics, but a playmaker, IMO is a pass-first guy that can thread the needle and gets the puck to his wingers often. That's not Modano's MO. He's just as much of a finisher as he is a passer.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Rabid Ranger said:
You don't consider Mike Modano a playmaker? Or what about Doug Weight or Joe Thornton? Guerin has played with all of them.
Just a little FYI, but Guerin played with Arnott and Morrow almost exclusively last year. The only time he was on the ice with Modano was on the PP, and even that wasnt that often, as Morrow-Arnott-Guerin usually played on the PP together as well.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Habsfan 32 said:
Just put Stewart on a line with a good passer like Weiss and he should be able to rack up the points.
Definately. I'd like to see a line of Stewart, Nedorost, and Weiss. Nedorost has a finishing ability and a passing ability. Weiss has a passing ability and Stewart just creates more room and can open things up. Nedorost and Huselius are the two players that would reep the benefits of playing with Stewart or Horton.

Carter is gonna be good. He's not a true powerforward though IMO. More like a really strong big player with finesse, which is rare. I think he will put up 80 points at least in the NHL in his prime. 35-40 goals. He's gonna be great IMO, plus really great to watch.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I am not sure, but Getzlaf has a very sick skill set and a huge physical presence to match it. If he puts it together, couple with his mean streak, he could be a very dominating player.

Having seen Getzlaf live waaaay too many times the past few years... I gotta say I see him being a dominant force in the NHL. Yes he has the size-skill package... but other guys have it too... what Getzlaf has is this sick ability which can only be likened to having eyes in the back of his head.

I've seen him hit soooo many guys on the backdoor with a pass I didn't even see there as being available.

I like Carter... I think he will be a good one (not Thornton -but good)... however as good as I think Carter will be -I would have a hard time passing up on Getzlaf.

As a Bruins fan was terrified that he was going to get WJC MVP over Bergeron as he *really* came on as the tourney progressed.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Jacobv2 said:
Does ANYONE want to answer my question?

Bertuzzi-Naslund? Doan-Langkow/Comrie? Iginla-Conroy? Tkachuk-Weight?

Try it this way: Think of an effective powerforward, then look for another guy on his team with about the same number of points. Odds are, they're the playmaker he plays with.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I understand someone's definition of a playmaker might be different, but there is no way that Naslund is one.

Who was Tkachuk's playmaker back when he scored 50 with Phoenix? Please don't say Roenick.

I think the argument should be changed, a powerforward doesn't need a playmaker, they just need offensive support. That's all that has been proven to me so far.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jacobv2 said:
I understand someone's definition of a playmaker might be different, but there is no way that Naslund is one.

Who was Tkachuk's playmaker back when he scored 50 with Phoenix? Please don't say Roenick.

I think the argument should be changed, a powerforward doesn't need a playmaker, they just need offensive support. That's all that has been proven to me so far.

Tkachuk played with Zhamnov and Janney in Winnipeg, Roenick and Janney in Phoenix, and Turgeon and Demitra in St.Louis. I would agree that a power forward doesn't need a dedicated "play maker" per se, but they do tend to thrive with players who have strong playmaking skills.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

Actually, I would argue that Morrison is the playmaker on that line.

But regardless, the original poster didn't necessarily mean that they had to have a dedicated Adam Oates style center on their line, but just that they need someone capable of making plays. Someone who can make use of the space their power game creates.

Goal scorer powerforwards also need someone to get the puck to them when they use their size to win position in a high scoring area. Especially since many powerforwards tend to be less dynamic and slippery, when they drag the puck to these ares by themself, they usually end up there with a couple defensemen hanging all over them.

Of course, some powerforwards play more of a playmaking game (Thornton, Allison if you count him as a PF, and even Bertuzzi is an awfully good playmaker). These PFs use their size to control the puck and make room, and then dish the puck off to someone who has found themselves all alone and ready to bury it. It's less important for them to have a passer, for obvious reasons. I don't think Stewart falls into this category, though. He's more the first category and benefits from someone who can carry and pass the puck.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Carter is younger Mats Sundin.. he's not a power forward but he uses his body to shield the puck well and uses the body down low in the corners to protect the puck just like Mats. Joe Thornton plays with a lil more edge n has a little nasty game while Carter doesn't have that.

bruins4777*

jacob i answered your question in my first post...
They dont' neccesarily need a play maker so much as they just need a guy to have chemistry with.

Also naslund is a much better play maker than you make him seem.

As for getzlaf, stewart, and carter who is the most ready physically? Anybody other than stewart is insane. Stewart is much much farther ahead phsyically than those two. They aren't slouches by any mean, but stewart is probably stronger than most NHL players. The guy is a BEAST.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Z-Diddy said:
Most of these boys are ready to play at 18 or 19 on the biggest stage there is, pysically and mentally. .
horribly disagree.. they think they're ready to play, and they think their body is ready.. but aside from very few, i would disagree with this statement

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
guerin played with allison...damn were they dangerous

hey- does anyone know if stewart will sign on in the AHL now that kingston is done?

bruins4777*

neelynugs said:
guerin played with allison...damn were they dangerous

hey- does anyone know if stewart will sign on in the AHL now that kingston is done?
ooooo that would be awsome.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
bruins4777 said:
jacob i answered your question in my first post...
They dont' neccesarily need a play maker so much as they just need a guy to have chemistry with.

Also naslund is a much better play maker than you make him seem.

As for getzlaf, stewart, and carter who is the most ready physically? Anybody other than stewart is insane. Stewart is much much farther ahead phsyically than those two. They aren't slouches by any mean, but stewart is probably stronger than most NHL players. The guy is a BEAST.
The original argument is that Stewart isn't producing because he doesn't have a playmaker. And there was a notion that he will produce fine in the NHL so long as he has a playmaker, as all PFs do.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
I've seen him at both panther prospect camps and he was a man amongst boys. Total dominance !

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Jacobv2 said:
The original argument is that Stewart isn't producing because he doesn't have a playmaker. And there was a notion that he will produce fine in the NHL so long as he has a playmaker, as all PFs do.

Actually, the original notion was that most (not all) PFs who don't have an excellent scoring touch need a talented playmaker, not that all PFs need a talented playmaker.

"most power forwards that dont have excellent scoring touch need a creative, skilled centre to play with."

And need is probably a little strong. It's pretty obvious that they make nice duo's, a PF and a playmaker.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
silver_made said:
anthony nearly made the panthers in 03-04; to be that close to the bigs, only to spend all of '04-'05 must have been boring to say the least. i'll take hi over getzlaf and carter, simply b/c his physical makeup is more suited for the nhl than the other 2.

Well both Carter and Getzlaf have the physical makeup to make the NHL and IMO have a good chance of being star players.

Taking Stewart over them simply because he's stronger doesn't really make much sense.

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
As someone who's seen him live many times over the past four years, Anthony's problems extend far beyond his offensive touch the season. A lack of a playmaker doesn't explain the disinterest he had since November. It doesn't explain why he wasn't hitting or showing any intensity 85% of the time. It doesn't explain why he was always the second best Stewart on the ice. It's obvious he didn't want to be back in junior, he wanted to be playing at a higher level.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:
"Sometimes the sign of a truly great leader is knowing when to step aside and let others lead."

-Colt.45Orr :D

Canada had a million captains on that squad. How does the saying go? "too many captains sinks the ship"....

Yes, he didn't look as good as last year... but I think he accepted his role well... question his play, not his leadership or attitude.

I mean he didn't have the desire to lead the Frontenacs; and other than him, there weren't many "leaders".

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
But Evan Kotsopoulos, I take it, is not a playmaker.

He's pretty much the farthest thing from a playmaker. He's a great agitator who had an above average season, but not a top playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad