Anthony Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Does anyone feel as though he kinda took a step back this year in his development. His stats arent that bad but I have this feeling alot more was expected of him in his final year in junior. Maybe there were just some unrealistic expectations on him and what he can do offensively?

Any thoughts on his season?

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Mr.Hunter74 said:
Does anyone feel as though he kinda took a step back this year in his development. His stats arent that bad but I have this feeling alot more was expected of him in his final year in junior. Maybe there were just some unrealistic expectations on him and what he can do offensively?

Any thoughts on his season?
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. I am from kingston so I have seen him play alot. He is a great player and know doubt one of the best in the league but I think he was over hyped, especially last season because of the media coverage before wj's, where alot of people were just finding out about him. He is a nice story, with the financial problems his family faced and all, as he was growing up, and it is obviously great that he has been able to overcome all of that and succeed. However, I think everyone may have fell in love with him after hearing about that before world juniors and then seeing him actually produce in the last wj's. He did play amazing last year at the tournament, but I have always said that, that was the best I had ever seen him play up to that point and as far as this year is concerned he didn't impress me.I thought maybe he just needs better players to play with but at world juniors he had great players this year and he did nothing.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I was really disappointed with him this year. I expected him to take charge of the team and lead them somewhere, because they sure had the talent to get into the playoffs. In my opinion, he just never had the desire to be the leader of the team. There could be many reasons for that, but he just didn't show up on a consistent basis like a captain of his calibre should.

bruins4777*

So the dominant powerforward comparisons aren't all that accurate anymore? Waht do you think his ceiling is now? Average 2nd liner? 3rd liner?

I thought earlier in the year he was really tearing it up? Like back to back hat tricks or something?

I'm concerned with his potential and development as a panthers fan.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
During that year's draft I was hoping the Devils would draft in this order, Carter, Getzlaf and Stewart. They were able to move up and claim Parise. I believe all four will be good NHL players. Always liked Stewart, he took a back-seat this year at the World Juniors with-out complaints. He probably needs a new challenge. He can play for my team anytime.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Stewart needs to play with good players to dominate games as alot of power forwards do. He's not very good at doing everything himself, I think he still has 1st line potential but more like a solid 2nd liner.

silver_made*

anthony nearly made the panthers in 03-04; to be that close to the bigs, only to spend all of '04-'05 must have been boring to say the least. i'll take hi over getzlaf and carter, simply b/c his physical makeup is more suited for the nhl than the other 2.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
silver_made said:
anthony nearly made the panthers in 03-04; to be that close to the bigs, only to spend all of '04-'05 must have been boring to say the least. i'll take hi over getzlaf and carter, simply b/c his physical makeup is more suited for the nhl than the other 2.

I disagree. I belive Carter may be the next Joe Thornton and if Getzlaf adds a bit of muscle he could be dominant as well. Although right now Stewart is stronger, hes a beast.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
MHJS said:
In my opinion, he just never had the desire to be the leader of the team.

"Sometimes the sign of a truly great leader is knowing when to step aside and let others lead."

-Colt.45Orr :D

Canada had a million captains on that squad. How does the saying go? "too many captains sinks the ship"....

Yes, he didn't look as good as last year... but I think he accepted his role well... question his play, not his leadership or attitude.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Big Deaner said:
I disagree. I belive Carter may be the next Joe Thornton and if Getzlaf adds a bit of muscle he could be dominant as well. Although right now Stewart is stronger, hes a beast.

No offense, Carter is looking good but to compare him to Joe Thorton I think is way too high for him. IMO, Getzlaf will have a better career than Carter and has a better overall package.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
silver_made said:

I think someone needs to release a thesis paper on modern day national hockey league prospect attitudes. For different reasons more and more 1st round players seem to be getting bored with juniors and european leagues. Most of these boys are ready to play at 18 or 19 on the biggest stage there is, pysically and mentally. Its just the way some of these new horses think, persay, Anthony Stew and Bob Nilsson, so on and so forth. Seems like the new generation just needs the hardest challenge to be motivated.

bruins4777*

ok lots of things to say.

First off stewart made the panthers, but couldn't agree on a contract in time.

The carter and thornton comparison is one i disagree with. Carter i think will be a beast, but thornton is a player who makes everybody around him better and thats where his dominant ability lies. Carter i see as more of a goal scorer and i don't see that "everybody around him better" ability in him, but i do see a solid 40-50-90 guy in him. Its very rare for one player to be able to make everybody around him better, and i don't want to sound like i'm downplaying carter's talent, i just don't see him being a joe thornton esque player.

Also i don't see getzlaf getting better than carter, i'm worried about getzlaf's attitude. Although his WJC was awful good.

Also i heard from a close follower of the AHL that stewart REALLY cranked up his play these last few games in hopes of making the playoffs and showed great leadership.

As for other players to help make the power forward himself better? How bout bertuzzi and naslund. Cam neely and bourque and oates. Although neely is a weaker example because he really played dominant on his own, even if bourque did do his fair share in helping out cam. Billy Guerin and thornton/weight. Thornton doesn't fit in the group of "power forwards who need help", because simply he is a different breed of power forward.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Jacobv2 said:

most power forwards that dont have excellent scoring touch need a creative, skilled centre to play with. Kingston doesn't have one. I was just saying that in the NHL he'll need one to rack up points.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
most power forwards that dont have excellent scoring touch need a creative, skilled centre to play with.
I'm still not following, do you have an example?

bruins4777 said:
ok lots of things to say.

First off stewart made the panthers, but couldn't agree on a contract in time.

The carter and thornton comparison is one i disagree with. Carter i think will be a beast, but thornton is a player who makes everybody around him better and thats where his dominant ability lies. Carter i see as more of a goal scorer and i don't see that "everybody around him better" ability in him, but i do see a solid 40-50-90 guy in him. Its very rare for one player to be able to make everybody around him better, and i don't want to sound like i'm downplaying carter's talent, i just don't see him being a joe thornton esque player.

Also i don't see getzlaf getting better than carter, i'm worried about getzlaf's attitude. Although his WJC was awful good.

Also i heard from a close follower of the AHL that stewart REALLY cranked up his play these last few games in hopes of making the playoffs and showed great leadership.

As for other players to help make the power forward himself better? How bout bertuzzi and naslund. Cam neely and bourque and oates. Although neely is a weaker example because he really played dominant on his own, even if bourque did do his fair share in helping out cam. Billy Guerin and thornton/weight. Thornton doesn't fit in the group of "power forwards who need help", because simply he is a different breed of power forward.
90 points out of Carter? In the NHL? I'd be shocked.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
silver_made said:
. i'll take hi over getzlaf and carter, simply b/c his physical makeup is more suited for the nhl than the other 2.

Getzlaf and Carter are both physically ready for the NHL probably more so than Stewart.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Its not surprising he didnt dominate as he lacks real ability to create his own offense. However he will complement a good centre very well.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Z-Diddy said:
I think someone needs to release a thesis paper on modern day national hockey league prospect attitudes. For different reasons more and more 1st round players seem to be getting bored with juniors and european leagues. Most of these boys are ready to play at 18 or 19 on the biggest stage there is, pysically and mentally. Its just the way some of these new horses think, persay, Anthony Stew and Bob Nilsson, so on and so forth. Seems like the new generation just needs the hardest challenge to be motivated.

So maybe dominating a CHL league and winning a Memorial Cup to some of these younger guys just isn't enough anymore eh. I think thats too bad that some of these guys tend to think that they are to good for the CHL and are to busy looking at the big bucks in pro sports to think about winning a Memorial Cup. At least that the impression I am getting form some fo these kids who say they are bored of the CHL. Its great to be motivated by a challenge like trying to make the best league in the world.

Maybe its a tough balance trying to be motivated by playing in a league that you feel you have outgrown. Especially when teh bigs is staarring you in the face.

Woudl be nice if more guys put more heart into trying to win the Memorial Cup. I remember when Kamloops was winning the thing all the time. The guys then really loved the fact they are a select few who have won the Cup. Knowing there is only a very small window of opportunity to win the Memorial Cup. These young players should put more value in winning the Memorial Cup. If they cant do it on there own or with alittle persuasion by coaches and the CHL itself then maybe there has to be some other kind of incentive for these players. Personally i dont really know what could make it more appealing but maybe they really are the new age hockey players and they need to see the $$$ signs behind the Memorial Cup in order for them to start to really take it seriously again and compete for it like they shoudl be doing know. You think the guys when Gary Roberts was in junior were blowing off the Memorial Cup like players seem to be doing know? I dont think so. But i may be wrong.

Then again I could be making a bigger issue out of this than it really is. After all I can only really think of 2 guys right now who have been accused of going through the motions in junior. Getzlaf and Stewart. I love a player who just has teh competitive edge to him despite what prize he may or may not be playing. That guy who just goes out on the ice and wants to dominate it despite how inferior the opposition or trophy may be to what lies in your future. I wonder after 2 or 3 years in teh NHL if these same guys will get bored and have motivational issues on there NHL clubs?? After makeing the NHL and maybe winning 1 cup whats next?? I guess theres always the prise of a bigger contract. But I am rambling.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jacobv2 said:

Power forwards and play-making centers go together like peanut butter and jelly. There are a few examples that stray from that rule, but not many. Anthony Stewart will not be any differant. To reach his potential he'll need to be paired with someone that can get him the puck in the prime scoring areas.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I belive Carter may be the next Joe Thornton and if Getzlaf adds a bit of muscle he could be dominant as well.

No chance and no chance.
Both will likely be nice players (IMO Carter more so than Getzlaf), but they will not be the next Joe Thornton.
Neither physically, nor his ability, let alone both together.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Wondercarrot said:
No chance and no chance.
Both will likely be nice players (IMO Carter more so than Getzlaf), but they will not be the next Joe Thornton.
Neither physically, nor his ability, let alone both together.

I am not sure, but Getzlaf has a very sick skill set and a huge physical presence to match it. If he puts it together, couple with his mean streak, he could be a very dominating player.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
McDonald19 said:
Getzlaf and Carter are both physically ready for the NHL probably more so than Stewart.

I don't think so. Stewart is way stronger than Carter and Getzlaf. The guy is something like 230 and he's 19. You can't be more physically ready then that.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Power forwards and play-making centers go together like peanut butter and jelly. There are a few examples that stray from that rule, but not many. Anthony Stewart will not be any differant. To reach his potential he'll need to be paried with someone that can get him the puck in prime scoring areas.
Does ANYONE want to answer my question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->