Proposal: Anthony Mantha to MTL

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Montreal's only concern in a Hoffman-Mantha swap should be which player has the potential for the better return retained at 50% at the next TDL. Neither player are ones you intend to hang onto.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
I hated the Mantha trade when it happened but lets be real. He's a veteran 6'5 230+ lb winger still in his 20s. Even though Tom Wilson he is not he doesn't shy away from physical play. He was acquired as a RW whose bread and butter in the NHL was sniping from his off wing and was played as a LW without any defined role by our 200IQ organization. He's had good underlying this year until falling apart towards the end of the year playing for a lame duck coach that completely lost the team.

Given that he's only signed for 1 year @ 5.7 million and most UFAs of note will get massive term, there will absolutely be at least one GM that will be interested in him as rebound candidate in a contract year. My bet is on Carolina with their 30 million cap space next year and their willingness to take Pacioretty at his full cap last year and Puljujarvi at the deadline, and general strategy of getting maligned players and trying to turn them around. It's just a question of what the trade will be

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I just don't really see what Mantha would bring to the Canadiens that they would need. How does a kinda soft, slightly flaky goal-scoring winger help improve that team?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You would get something to take him. If he can't get it going outside Montreal, being in a hockey hot market would be terrible for him. He is an infuriating player! All the skill in the world to be a 40 goal guy, but he floats like you wouldn't believe, and you only ever see him be really good in games where he gets pissed off at someone, which are few and far between. Otherwise you will hate watching him on your team.

Probably not a ton. Mid round pick, maybe a little more, maybe a little less?

With his contract it would cost at least a 1st for WSH to get rid of him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think you are mistaken on his contract. He has one year left at $5.7M then he’s a UFA after next season. He may be slightly overpaid but you could do a lot worse than Mantha for a year with that cap hit.

Mantha is a sad case to me. He was a good two-way middle six forward this season for Washington on pace for 20+ goals and 50 points through December and doing it all at even strength and then his game just fell off a cliff the second half. He has no confidence right now as Laviolette has handled him terribly and he’s overthinking everything. They’re also not utilizing his shot properly or deploying him on the PP. He’s been remarkably unlucky when it comes to finishing during his time in DC but he’s generally had strong underlying metrics.

My hope is that a new coach can rebuild his confidence and use him properly. He’s still a good player albeit a bit underwhelming given his combination of size and skill. I don’t think he’ll ever be a dominant top line winger like his size and skill set would allow him to be but that doesn’t mean he’s a bad player either.

The words two way and Mantha don't add up. He is the consumate poke and hope defender. Lazily reaches his stick at opposing players, in an attempt at "defence" and does nothing at all in his own end aside from that. Seen him with both Detroit and Washington and he is the exact same player he was in Detroit.

He'd be a good one year pickup for just about any team that can afford him and has space in the lineup, hf as usual has no clue about player-coach-team dynamics and just looks at the stat sheet. Carolina probably gets him a la Pacioretty with their bottomless cap space next yeaer

Mantha + something small for Gurianov and Edmundson would be a win win imo

Know plenty about him, his stats are putrid for an offence only player. Worse than that, his effort is beyond pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad