Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is true, but some people feel more comfortable ignoring the reality that prickly personalities exist and need to be managed.

You go down to the minors--you've got to put aside whether you think it's just or not and work hard and do the things you do best or the likelihood is you're going to burn your bridge back to the NHL. Any major sport with a minor league that's how it is. Looking at DeAngelo and Pionk I don't really see much chance of them being recalled if they don't get their offensive production up.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
why are we surprised that an organization that plays nick holden on the 1st pair and plays steven kampfer at all, has decided that ADA needs to sit.

unless he's hurt or sick, then please disregard my paranoid mumblings.....

Why are we surprised that an organization that drafted McIlrath @ 10 saw something in ADA that just isn't there?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I hear you. They also targeted Etem as the centerpiece in the Hagelin deal. When they miss, they miss horribly.

They also drafted Henrik Lundqvist in the 7th round. And signed Zuccarello and Hayes for nothing. They have found Pouliot, Grabner and many other scrap heap guys.

They've turned Ryan Haggerty into Raanta who allowed them to make the deal over the summer.

They signed and developed Cam Talbot who returned some future pieces.

They traded Gomez for McDonagh + Higgins

They traded Gaborik after signing him as a UFA for Brassard + Moore + Dorsett.

They traded Brassard for Zib.

The team has misses, like any other organization. But they also hit quite a bit.

How about we give DeAngelo time considering he looked good in preseason and in his limited time in the NHL this season already?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Who is ignoring reality? I believe what mot people are saying is show us some actual evidence that this is the case in THIS specific scenario. Why jump to conclusions when it's pretty clear the team is going through some sort of flu epidemic?

I guess you are focusing on what I readily admit is just an opinion about ADA being a problem child since it deflects from the fact that he hasn't produced a lick in the minors over the last few weeks. Despite this, plenty of posters who put their chips in on him already, still think he's the best thing since sliced bread and deserves to be in the NHL lineup right now. Its absurd.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Our level of pessimism and general bitchiness when it comes to developing young talent doesn't quite seem to match up with the job we've done over the last 13 years.

I get that some on here didn't even have hair on parts of their body, other than their head, during the dark ages, but yeeesh. We need some perspective here.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I guess you are focusing on what I readily admit is just an opinion about ADA being a problem child since it deflects from the fact that he hasn't produced a lick in the minors over the last few weeks. Despite this, plenty of posters who put their chips in on him already, still think he's the best thing since sliced bread and deserves to be in the NHL lineup right now. Its absurd.

I think that anyone would admit that his point totals are lackluster so far in the AHL but I also haven't watched any of the games so it's hard to state what his play has been like. If he has had a few plays which should have ended in goals but have not then maybe his stats ren't reflective of the way he is playing. In saying that, the exact opposite could be true. I have no idea.

All I was trying to say is that without any real knowledge of what is occurring, many people were just latching on to, 'well we heard he had attitude problems before, way to go Gorton getting swindled in that Stepan deal!'. It can be a run away train

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think that anyone would admit that his point totals are lackluster so far in the AHL but I also haven't watched any of the games so it's hard to state what his play has been like. If he has had a few plays which should have ended in goals but have not then maybe his stats ren't reflective of the way he is playing. In saying that, the exact opposite could be true. I have no idea.

All I was trying to say is that without any real knowledge of what is occurring, many people were just latching on to, 'well we heard he had attitude problems before, way to go Gorton getting swindled in that Stepan deal!'. It can be a run away train

And what I was getting at with the attitude stuff is that some people seem to believe that DeAngelo should be playing even if he was the 3rd anti-christ. This kid has some well documented problems, so its not a big leap to infer that hes moping around the minors feeling sorry for himself.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
While I would agree that the numbers for offensive production by defensemen at Hartford are not good, that only leads to the question of whether the defensemen are not good or whether the forwards in Hartford can't connect on the chances the defensemen are getting them.

Again I only saw one game but it was stunning to me to see how quickly the defensemen got the puck out of their defensive zone and up to the forwards as compared to the game I saw last year. Based on what I saw the problem is less with the defensemen and more with the lack of talent up front, particularly at wing. As an example, for the last three games Hartford has had Stephen Fogarty, a center with 0 assists this year, centering Ryan Group, a winger who even his supporters like me would agree needs someone to get him the puck. The biggest organizational weakness for the Rangers is their wingers. I think you are seeing that play out in Hartford and at least in part is responsible for the statistical numbers produced by defensemen.

Just from a statistical look at the Wolfpack--the offensive D for the most part--not just DeAngelo but Pionk and Pedrie have not been producing a lot. A pass to Sproul who has 4 assists and 34 shots on net in 9 games. I don't know but Anthony DeAngelo has somewhat of a temperamental disposition and might not have taken his demotion well. His offensive numbers aren't very good and point production is a key part of his game--when that's not good he's going to be subpar.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's been said, but the truth is that not everyone is going to make it. I'm not saying ADA is one of the guys who isn't going to make it, but it's certainly a possibility.

With that said, we have to be careful about not getting too up or too down as the process unfolds. Players are going to get hot, they are going to get cold, they are going to progress, and some might regress.

We also have to try and evaluate the bigger picture.

If nine of our top ten prospects fail, then clearly something is amiss.

But even getting a 50/50 split is considered very good. To put that into perspective, that means five of the top ten players on our HF Boards list are not going to make it.

What I question is whether posters will be able to see the good in a scenario like that. Or will there be a lot of people who zero-in and focus on the five who didn't make it, while completely taking for granted and overlooking the five who did?

It's important that we have a critical eye when evaluating talent and the organization. However, it's very easy to get caught up in being overly critical and obsessing over every miss at the expense of every hit.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
People will always focus on the failures more than the successes. That's been my experience.

ADA is obviously not where we want him to be, but it's extremely premature to label him a failed player. He still has a lot of opportunity for development ahead of him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As for Hartford's D, I would think it's something systemic. Graves hasn't done much offensively, and you'd expect more out of him. The same for Pionk. Gilmour is the only one really producing, and if his play is anything like what it was last year the offense is directly at the cost of defense. Who knows. Is anyone actively watching the Pack this year?

Reactions: haveandare

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
As for Hartford's D, I would think it's something systemic. Graves hasn't done much offensively, and you'd expect more out of him. The same for Pionk. Gilmour is the only one really producing, and if his play is anything like what it was last year the offense is directly at the cost of defense. Who knows. Is anyone actively watching the Pack this year?
I would watch them but the ahl stream package is like $1000000000000

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would watch them but the ahl stream package is like $1000000000000
The NHL.tv package is $139. The AHL Live package is $399 f***ing dollars! That's absolute insanity! And it's $199 to watch just your team. Explain to me the justification behind paying three time the money to watch an inferior league with broadcasts filmed by a monkey holding a potato. It's just beyond ridiculous.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People will always focus on the failures more than the successes. That's been my experience.

ADA is obviously not where we want him to be, but it's extremely premature to label him a failed player. He still has a lot of opportunity for development ahead of him.

Especially when he's still better than more than one guy on our NHL defense corps.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona made shipping DeAngelo a non-negotiable for the Stepan trade to happen.

The trade happened a week before July 1st. I'm sure Gorton to an extent knew the Shattenkirk deal was going to happen, but adding DeAngelo could've been a contingency for that deal falling through or Pionk struggling. Or maybe a kid to audition for running the power play and give McDonagh an extra minute or so of rest. I know some fans got super excited because we were all tired of McDonagh running the point but at best he's Marc-Andre Bergeron.

To me he was always a throw-in whose defense was always suspect. Blown coverages galore. He'll end up in Europe and make a lot of money.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Whatever the reason for him not playing for a few games now, he's shown mediocre results in the games he has been playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->