Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't believe Shattenkirk is any better defensively than ADA, but ADA is not nearly as good on the PP or even offensively in general.

The one difference that bother me, ADA at least looks somewhat engaged defensively even if he is making errors, Shattenkirk rarely looks like he is motivated defensively.

Smith similarly makes tons of errors but I get the sense he is trying to figure it out where as I get the idea Shattenkirk has already decided in his mind that he is not good defensively so he is only looking to create offense off the defensive play of someone else.
Here's a tip...

Shattenkirk is an elite offensive defenseman. One of the best in the NHL.

That covers a lot of what happens on the other end of the ice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Right. Shattenkirk is being paid primarily to produce offensively. Obviously it would be nice if the defense was better, but if the guy can record 60+ points and run the PP, then I think you can say pretty definitely that the positives outweigh the negatives.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
ADA was playing no differently with the Rangers than he was with the Coyotes. He shows big time flashes offensively. Defensively, he has a lot of work to do. A lot. Coming in, I fully expected he would be in Hartford for at least half of this year.

When he joined the Coyotes last year, he came into a less pressurized situation. The Yotes were 30 points out of a playoff spot and he played loose but he was a third pair player. Tippett managed his TOI and defensive zone starts. I'm guessing he was much tighter in NY camp this year. He needs to relax, gain confidence and put some serious work in on the defensive side. Good news is that he is still very young and is not subject to waivers through next season. It's a process.

The good news is that you can't teach some of the skill he possesses.

100% agree with this exactly Bobbop.

I was expecting about a half season in the AHL for him if for nothing else, to give him time to adapt to the way the Rangers play. His skill level is very obvious and I love the fire he plays with. He'll be up in the near future but until then let him play big minutes in all situations down in the AHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Shattenkirk signing definitely changed the script for ADA.

I'm sure if we had not signed Kevin that DeAngelo would be in the NHL, playing on the powerplay.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If TDA becomes another Shatty, all is forgiven.
I don't think he even has to be as good as Shattenkirk offensively to become a useful player. If he can be a consistent 40-point guy, even as a defensive liability (assuming he doesn't get better in that area), he'll probably have a substantial NHL career. With the way the game is evolving, teams will always be looking for defenders who can skate and score, even if they're not on Shattenkirk's level.

sarahgalligan21

Nov 10, 2017
New York
We need a player like DeAngelo with similar qualities, just not him. Clearly shown when he played maybe 5 shifts in the NHL before he got sent down, he needs time to play before he can come back up again.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
We need a player like DeAngelo with similar qualities, just not him. Clearly shown when he played maybe 5 shifts in the NHL before he got sent down, he needs time to play before he can come back up again.
DeAngelo played multiple games. Including multiple on the first pair with Mcdonagh where they dominated the possession stats

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
When does he come back up and when does this god awful Kampfer experiment end?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I haven't seen but a handful of AHL games this season but, I was fortunate to make it out to Hartford for a couple of game and DeAngelo looked real selfish, while outplayed by nearly every defensemen except Bereglazov.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I want him up ASAP but if the reports of him looking like poo as @TGWL stated then there's no point. Love to have him up and getting some PP time but Shatty has been so damn good.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I want him up ASAP but if the reports of him looking like poo as @TGWL stated then there's no point. Love to have him up and getting some PP time but Shatty has been so damn good.

I've only seen a handful of games and only 2-3 where he actually played. (2 live). It's possible he looked better in the other 4-5 games he played.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
And if we are looking at only stats and a game here or there live, it may be hard to determine where he is at. He may have got sent to Hartford with the directive to work on the defensive side of the puck. We know you can move it and play in the O-Zone. Lets get the other side straightened out. That may be what is keeping his point totals down right now.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I wish that I will not have to use this in any post, but I just thought it up....

TDA = Total Defensive Albatross

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You aren't the only one who has said he's been anything but above average... didn't mean to single you out... just that there have multiple reports. Sorry if it came off that way
haha, no worries. I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to point out that I only saw a handful of games, it's very possible he's looked amazing in the other games I didn't see (but I highly doubt it based on what I saw). It's very disappointing because he has flashes where you see he can turn into a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad