Player Discussion Anthony DeAngelo (Mod warning in OP and post 197. READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It seems to me the worst case scenarios are 1. he'll end up a better skating version of Michael Del Zotto--as in his offense won't come around enough to offset crappy defending or 2. his mouth and/or lack of discipline will submarine his career.

I think it's more likely that those worst case scenarios won't play out. I kind of look at his upside as a young Dan Boyle. Saying that I don't think his defense is ever going to be more than average so his offensive game will need to be really good. He has a legit shot at making the Rangers out of camp but there are players in the way--including Marc Staal and once again I'll say we should have bought Staal out. The question of Bereglazov potentially going back to the KHL looms as well or whether or not the Rangers decide to move Holden. ADA can go to Hartford without passing through waivers so he ain't no lock. Shattenkirk unexpectedly falling into our laps doesn't help him either. I do expect he'll play at least some games for us this year.

I'm actually not opposed to keeping Staal for this year.

The Rangers have a bunch of unknowns heading into this season in ADA, Bere and Pionk, which says nothing about seeing how a guy like Graves progresses. This time next year, they should have a much more clear picture of what they have and who guys are progressing.

I also wouldn't underestimate how new a lot of these guys are to our system. We're only one injury to a McD away from having 1 guy who actually has more than a season of experience playing for AV. Skjei has all of one year under his belt, Smith not even half, and Shattenkirk, ADA, Bere and Pionk with a combined total of zero games with AV. Staal, for all of his flaws, does provide at least some stability, even in a limited role.

Beyond all that, it's also once less year of his contract that we'd have to potentially buy out.

Frankly, I'll be more concerned if he's still on the roster this time next year.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
anthony deangelo is a much better player than delzotto at the same age. mdz was always an average to poor defender but got by with his stretch passes and ability to create from the blue line but he was allergic to physical contact along the wall. his skating was always average at best.

people are sleeping on deangelo. he's still very young but his upside is substantial.

a good comparison continues to be a young dan boyle.

ADA is a better skater. has way better hands. a better shot and will play the pp point with smooth, calm poise. neither guy has shutdown stuff but ADA has way more game than MDZ and has a better motor.

i was never an MDZ fan so that comparison sets the bar too low imo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
anthony deangelo is a much better player than delzotto at the same age. mdz was always an average to poor defender but got by with his stretch passes and ability to create from the blue line but he was allergic to physical contact along the wall. his skating was always average at best.

people are sleeping on deangelo. he's still very young but his upside is substantial.

a good comparison continues to be a young dan boyle.

ADA is a better skater. has way better hands. a better shot and will play the pp point with smooth, calm poise. neither guy has shutdown stuff but ADA has way more game than MDZ and has a better motor.

i was never an MDZ fan so that comparison sets the bar too low imo.

ADA is a heck of a prospect. I feel like he's been somewhat relegated to "throw-in" status as everyone focuses on Stepan and the 7th overall pick. But make no mistake, he's got legit top-4 talent. It stands to reason he'll always need to be paired with a defensively sound partner, but his upside is pretty darn high, as is his ceiling.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
ADA is a heck of a prospect. I feel like he's been somewhat relegated to "throw-in" status as everyone focuses on Stepan and the 7th overall pick. But make no mistake, he's got legit top-4 talent. It stands to reason he'll always need to be paired with a defensively sound partner, but his upside is pretty darn high, as is his ceiling.

Ideally (and by ideally I mean if everything works out perfectly), he'll be playing alongside Bear Gloves. If he can stay in the lineup consistently, I don't think a 35 pt season is unreasonable with his skill set. Even if he doesn't make the roster, he'd likely be playing top-pair minutes in Hartford, with Graves or maybe Day. As skilled as Pionk is, ADA has him beat.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ideally (and by ideally I mean if everything works out perfectly), he'll be playing alongside Bear Gloves. If he can stay in the lineup consistently, I don't think a 35 pt season is unreasonable with his skill set. Even if he doesn't make the roster, he'd likely be playing top-pair minutes in Hartford, with Graves or maybe Day. As skilled as Pionk is, ADA has him beat.

In theory, one hopes that ADA, Bere, Graves and Pionk all push each other. It's a win if at least two of them emerge as legit NHL blueliners. Anything more than that is gravy.

Day, at least from what I've seen, is still a ways off. He made some good strides this season, but there is still a lot of development that needs to take place.

Day's window is more likely in the front end of that second grouping of defenseman with Zborovskiy, and to a lesser extent guys like Crawley, Sjalin and Reunanen.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
In theory, one hopes that ADA, Bere, Graves and Pionk all push each other. It's a win if at least two of them emerge as legit NHL blueliners. Anything more than that is gravy.

Day, at least from what I've seen, is still a ways off. He made some good strides this season, but there is still a lot of development that needs to take place.

Day's window is more likely in the front end of that second grouping of defenseman with Zborovskiy, and to a lesser extent guys like Crawley, Sjalin and Reunanen.

Definitely agree on the 1st part. I want to see a full season of Day in the AHL before I make a call on him. He could end up being ready this season, but I think next season is more likely.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Is there a reason why he was demoted? As a Coyotes fan it surprises me unless it was attitude related (he was demoted by us after the ref abuse incident.)

How have you all liked him? I love him as a player, i really hope he tears it up for you guys.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Is there a reason why he was demoted? As a Coyotes fan it surprises me unless it was attitude related (he was demoted by us after the ref abuse incident.)

How have you all liked him? I love him as a player, i really hope he tears it up for you guys.

Coach doesn't like him so wont give him minutes, GM rather he actually get playing time than ride the pine/sit in the press box

Reactions: Nickmo82

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I've been impressed with him for sure.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Do you guys anticipate he will get more ice-time once AV is gone?
It probably all depends on whether Holden gets dealt or not, I would think.

With things as they stand, AV is STILL super sweet on Holden... so at least one of them has to go for ADA to get a true chance, IMO.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It seems to me that DeAngelo is going to have a problem making it with the Rangers. I think the Rangers had the idea when they got him from Arizona that he was going to be a bottom pairing guy but he'd get a lot of power play time and that Pionk a similar but less experienced player would push him in training camp. And then Shatty came along and gave the Rangers a deal and that pretty much pulled the rug from out under DeAngelo. There's only so much power play time that can be passed around and for DeAngelo to be effective his offense is going to have to offset his defensive issues. The same could be said for Shattenkirk but he is somewhat better defensively than DeAngelo and he's got a contract that pretty much makes him our No. 1 right side guy and he's going to get most of the power play time and that kind of leaves DeAngelo out in the cold. And in the meantime we've added another offensive minded right side defenseman in Sproul. All these guys--their games are pretty similar--all of them need offensive situations to be effective at what they do best.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rangers move DeAngelo in a trade if they can get decent value for him. I think he's pretty effectively blocked as long as Shattenkirk is here.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't believe Shattenkirk is any better defensively than ADA, but ADA is not nearly as good on the PP or even offensively in general.

The one difference that bother me, ADA at least looks somewhat engaged defensively even if he is making errors, Shattenkirk rarely looks like he is motivated defensively.

Smith similarly makes tons of errors but I get the sense he is trying to figure it out where as I get the idea Shattenkirk has already decided in his mind that he is not good defensively so he is only looking to create offense off the defensive play of someone else.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Holden Sucks. ADA just as good Defensively and alot more upside offensively. +++++ADA is a RH shot

The only use for playing Holden at this point would be to showcase him??? Trade value???
But at this point it is what it is. Teams know, even at his low cap hit, he's not worth much.
Gorton would be a magician to get a 4th or 5th for him at this point.
And Kampfer should only play if 2 or more starting d men are injured. I can't comment on Calling Graves up or Pionk cause really haven't followed them much this season but bottom line is ADA should be playing.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't believe Shattenkirk is any better defensively than ADA, but ADA is not nearly as good on the PP or even offensively in general.

The one difference that bother me, ADA at least looks somewhat engaged defensively even if he is making errors, Shattenkirk rarely looks like he is motivated defensively.

Smith similarly makes tons of errors but I get the sense he is trying to figure it out where as I get the idea Shattenkirk has already decided in his mind that he is not good defensively so he is only looking to create offense off the defensive play of someone else.
This is a really, really bad take.

ADA in his NHL career is awful defensively while Shattenkirk has had top pair numbers his whole career.

Reactions: Krams

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
If I were the coach, I think I'd let ADA play and learn in the NHL. Holden isn't terrible, but he isn't going to make any meaningful impact for this team in the future either. Kampfer kinda IS terrible and likewise is a stop gap at best. ADA should play because you have to assume that he IS seen as a big(ger) piece of the puzzle moving forwards, or we wouldn't have done ADA+ for Stepan+.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
ADA was playing no differently with the Rangers than he was with the Coyotes. He shows big time flashes offensively. Defensively, he has a lot of work to do. A lot. Coming in, I fully expected he would be in Hartford for at least half of this year.

When he joined the Coyotes last year, he came into a less pressurized situation. The Yotes were 30 points out of a playoff spot and he played loose but he was a third pair player. Tippett managed his TOI and defensive zone starts. I'm guessing he was much tighter in NY camp this year. He needs to relax, gain confidence and put some serious work in on the defensive side. Good news is that he is still very young and is not subject to waivers through next season. It's a process.

The good news is that you can't teach some of the skill he possesses.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->