Proposal: Anthony Cirelli to Ottawa

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If I picked 6-10 and ended up with a 50 point Selke level centre I’d be pretty darn happy with those results. Trading a pick like that for a young player that’s already at that level is a no brainer for me (I know he hasn’t hit 50 points yet, but easily would have in a full season).

Reactions: PAZ

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If I picked 6-10 and ended up with a 50 point Selke level centre I’d be pretty darn happy with those results. Trading a pick like that for a young player that’s already at that level is a no brainer for me (I know he hasn’t hit 50 points yet, but easily would have in a full season).

Exactly this.

People were saying the same thing about ROR when he was on the Avs, except Cirelli has a better reputation around the league and these boards because he plays for a cup contender. If Cirelli was made available, almost every team in the league would be interested and I doubt Ottawa would pay the price that some other teams would. However, the only way Cirelli is made available is if he wants a long-term contract and wants to get paid now rather than take a bridge.

As an Avs fan, I would happily do Kadri ($1 mil retained) + or a futures package, but I would assume Tampa would probably prefer Kadri since they want to compete.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Exactly this.

People were saying the same thing about ROR when he was on the Avs, except Cirelli has a better reputation around the league and these boards because he plays for a cup contender. If Cirelli was made available, almost every team in the league would be interested and I doubt Ottawa would pay the price that some other teams would. However, the only way Cirelli is made available is if he wants a long-term contract and wants to get paid now rather than take a bridge.

As an Avs fan, I would happily do Kadri ($1 mil retained) + or a futures package, but I would assume Tampa would probably prefer Kadri since they want to compete.

Exactly. Every year people expect these top ten picks to be superstars when they bust quite often. A team like Buffalo that is looking to stay young and complete should be all over Cerelli for 8. Such a great young player and would be the perfect complement to Eichel.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Exactly. Every year people expect these top ten picks to be superstars when they bust quite often. A team like Buffalo that is looking to stay young and complete should be all over Cerelli for 8. Such a great young player and would be the perfect complement to Eichel.

Actually talking about Cirelli and ROR, I never realized how close Buffalo is to mirroring that move. Different package obviously, but it would kind of be funny that after trading for and then trading ROR, they're looking at getting a younger version of ROR in Cirelli again.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Exactly this.

If we had to move Cirelli, I would love Kadri as a return, but I don't think it would be possible to make the money work. I think our team without Cirelli, but with Kadri + Stamkos for a playoff run, would be even stronger (I do think Cirelli > Kadri though, so it's still a win for Colorado overall). But, again, I can't see how it would be possible.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Cool, not sure what that has to do with anything? Norris put up his numbers in the AHL at 20 and Barre-Boulet did at 21.

Not that it matters but context matters.

Norris went over PPG and played 18 less games than ABB. Also Syracuse has had a stacked AHL team for a few years now and are always competitive. They had a good mix of vets and rookies that year so ABB was well insulated overall. Belleville had success last year while being the youngest team in the AHL, with Norris leading the way. I won't argue it further but Norris's season was far more impressive also considering he came off a knee injury the year prior where he was tearing it up at MU.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I've always loved the correlation between AHL point leaders and NHL success. Since Spezza won it in 2004, not a single winner of the award has become a top 6er/ semi significant NHLer. Doesn't stop people though from using AHL success to measure a prospect eh?

John B. Sollenberger Trophy award winners at hockeydb.com
Funny, I never mentioned the award/accomplishment and Batherson/Norris never won it.

But, if you refer to the more appropriate list Elite Prospects - Award - AHL Rookie of the Year (Red Garrett Memorial Award) you'll find plenty of good NHLers in there.

AHL success doesn't always translate (some are career AHLers) but when a player has success in junior and then follows it up with good/great years as AHL rookies/sophomores, it's a better indication that they're on the right path to being good players at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad